Started eating better and exercising = weight gain?

Options
shaylynk
shaylynk Posts: 19 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I've recently been watching what I eat and working out a lot more. I've completely cut out soda and ate take out twice. I've only had two cheat days in 3 weeks and only about 4 days have I not reached my 10k step goal. Yet I've gained 6lbs?

I've started taking one a day weight smart pills as well as protein shakes daily.

What do you think? Is it possible it's just muscle? It's really bumming me out. I wish I took measurements when I first started.

Edit: I am seeking POSITIVE SUPPORT only please. I understand measuring is a big factor and I do my best to guestimate, but I do not have the time or accessibility to a scale everytime I go to eat. I cannot bring a scale everywhere with me but I do try to prepare my day as best as possible.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "eating better" (at least as far as weight loss goes) is a meaningless term.

What matters is how many calories you've eaten.

If you're eating more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight - regardless of whether you're "eating better" or not.

No...it's not muscle.

It's probably just normal fluctuations in water weight (either from eating hi sodium foods in the day or two before weighing, from increased exercise, or for a number of other possible issues).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What's your actual average caloric intake in that time? Are you weighing your food?
  • MrsMotivatedMama
    MrsMotivatedMama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take measurements now. It can be tons of different factors but DONT give up. You are making better choices by cutting out soda and no take out. Give yourself time and watch your progress in measurement before the scale. For myself the scale can really change my mood so I try to stay away.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking instead of the soda? Just be careful because fruit juice can have high sugar levels and would contribute to weight gain - so would smoothies, milky coffees/lattes etc. Try drinking water if you like it, or although some people are critical of them, I've found that Diet Coke/Pepsi straight from the fridge are hard to beat in helping you through difficult days!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I know this is bad but some weeks when I know I've eaten perfectly and am going to have a good loss, I don't exercise or I don't exercise a few days before I weigh in. Almost every time I exercise, I gain 2-3 lbs. I would imagine it would stop happening if I did it on a consistent basis but I hate seeing that gain!

It's possible your gain is water weight/inflammation from exercise.
  • shaylynk
    Options
    I've cut my calories down from over 2000 to 1490. "Eating better" is not a meaningless term. It's a term I used because it correctly describes going from eating take out and soda to eating fruits and salad. No I'm not weighing, but I do measure and eat small portions.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not 6lbs of muscle for sure.
    The answer is probably in your food diary - which is private.
  • reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, no one on this site will take you seriously. Just saying.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    shaylynk wrote: »
    I've cut my calories down from over 2000 to 1490. "Eating better" is not a meaningless term. It's a term I used because it correctly describes going from eating take out and soda to eating fruits and salad. No I'm not weighing, but I do measure and eat small portions.
    Is 1490 your goal, or your calculated average? If it's your goal, go back and calculate the average each week. You can assume that, because you're not weighing your food, your tracking is low. Everyone's is. Measuring cups are really inaccurate.

Anytime you start a new exercise program or increase what you're already doing, you can expect to see a small jump on the scale due to water retention. 6 pounds could be water retention, but it's high. It's more likely that you're eating more than you think.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    shaylynk wrote: »

It's an unquantifiable term, which makes it hard for us to know what you mean by it. You'd be surprised how many people here tell us they're "eating better" but then aren't tracking calories or even cutting back portion sizes. I hope that you understand it's important for people to ask questions so that they know how to help you better.

The most common problems we see come from underestimating calories eaten and overestimating calories burned.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

• AliceDark
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, everyone on this site will assume that your tracking is somewhat inaccurate . Just saying.
    FIFY

• shaylynk
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, no one on this site will take you seriously. Just saying.

I lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale, so I know that it can be done. But double-checking logging accuracy is one of the easier and cheaper ways to be sure that you're in a deficit.

I'm curious as to what advice you'd give in this scenario, though.
  • reginab1984
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you're not weighing your food, everyone on this site will assume that your tracking is somewhat inaccurate . Just saying.
    FIFY

Oh, I agree with you 100% and wasn't implying that this was a bad thing. I find myself not taking people seriously if they don't weight most of their food, most of the time. I've crossed over to the dark side...muah hahaha
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great response AliceDark - far too many negative posters on this site. Lets encourage and support each other, remembering some members are very new to the whole healthy eating/weight loss thing and need some help kicking it off successfully. Just saying.
  • reginab1984
    Options

I lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale, so I know that it can be done. But double-checking logging accuracy is one of the easier and cheaper ways to be sure that you're in a deficit.

I'm curious as to what advice you'd give in this scenario, though.

I did too, the first and second time. It's easy to do if everything you eat is prepackaged.

This wasn't a statement regarding the utility of weighing one's food. It was a statement that reflects the attitude of the vast majority of people on this forum, which I also happen to agree with. So, yeah. Weigh, weigh, weigh!
  • AliceDark
    Options
    FIFY

Oh, I agree with you 100% and wasn't implying that this was a bad thing. I find myself not taking people seriously if they don't weight most of their food, most of the time. I've crossed over to the dark side...muah hahaha
    I'm sorry, I totally read your comment in sarcastic font! That may be a cue that I need a forum time-out :)

I lost a bunch of weight in college and kept it off for 10 years without a food scale. I just bought one last year. I can guarantee that my measurements weren't ever accurate -- they were always either higher or lower. If you're not going to use a food scale, you can't be so set on the number of calories you're consuming, because it's not accurate. If you're not losing, no matter how much you want to believe you're eating X calories, you have to go with the results.

• reginab1984
    Options
    FIFY

I'm sorry, I totally read your comment in sarcastic font! That may be a cue that I need a forum time-out :)

I lost a bunch of weight in college and kept it off for 10 years without a food scale. I just bought one last year. I can guarantee that my measurements weren't ever accurate -- they were always either higher or lower. If you're not going to use a food scale, you can't be so set on the number of calories you're consuming, because it's not accurate. If you're not losing, no matter how much you want to believe you're eating X calories, you have to go with the results.

It's ok. I was really just trying to warn the OP, who seems to be pretty new at this, that she's not gonna be able to convince anyone here that her portions are accurate unless she's weighing everything.

I lost weight without a food scale, too, which is actually pretty easy if you buy everything prepackaged. Probably not the healthiest way to go about it, though.

• shaylynk
    Options
    I'm not new to the site. I've actually used it for years.
    I've never weighed my food, and I've successfully lost 40 pounds before on mfp.
    I always eat 100-500 calories less than goal to account for any mis-measurements.
    I was just trying to get some positive feedback and tips.

I thought if people didn't want to believe me, they wouldn't waste the time to respond.