Coleslaw Dressing? Low-calorie needed!

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
I just tried making coleslaw tonight, a favorite of mine since childhood. I used a mixed bag, and added Kraft coleslaw dressing.

I found the calories in the dressing to defeat the purpose of a healthy side dish (I will admit, I put too much dressing in). I was wondering if anyone has tried just using low calorie Miracle Whip? How did it taste?

I am basically looking for a very simple, basic dressing for coleslaw that is low calorie so I can eat this stuff all the time!

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm not a real mayo fan, so this is the one my mom & I have been using for years. Keep in mind that I hate chopping cabbage, so I use 2 package of coleslaw, 1package of shredded red cabbage & 1 package of shredded carrots in place of shredding the whole cabbages & carrots.
    You can cut those amounts in 1/2 & also cut the dressing ingredients in half, because the original makes A LOT. I also add a teaspoonful of celery seed because I like it. You definitely have to make it ahead of time-- I usually make it the night before.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/summer-slaw-1579
  • marytyoung
    marytyoung Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try making your own mayo. You need an egg, extra light olive oil and a blender. Google Paleo mayo or Whole30 mayo. It is lovely and will work very nicely with your vegetables.
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    don't know..but how about a yoghurt-based dressing..? with half-fat/low fat crème fraiche ? with added pepper, and lemon zest or similar?
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I suppose if I wanted it sweet I could substitute something like canola oil for the olive oil and add some sugar, but I like it this way. I hate mayonnaise.
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a 0 calorie coleslaw dressing as well as lots of other 0 calorie products.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe for Yogurt Mayo from Dr. Oz. I did not think it taste like mayo but it was a great sandwich spread and dip for artichokes. I think it would make a great dressing. But haven't tried it yet on salad or slaw.

doctoroz.com/recipe/greek-yogurt-mayo
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My go to coleslaw recipe (I also use this as dip):

1/4 cup light mayo
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon ground stone mustard
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice (or less if you aren't a lemon fan)
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
    salt and pepper to taste

If this ends up being too watery, sometimes I toss in 1 tablespoon of parm cheese to thicken slightly. Tastes awesome.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have a decent lazy coleslaw dressing - equal parts half fat mayo and apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I cut the mayo with yogurt but when I do that I use a bit less vinegar, too much zip otherwise.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just made this Bobby Flay recipe. I thought it was pretty good - about 220 calories per serving though after subbing low-fat sour cream and mayo.

foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/creamy-cole-slaw-recipe.html
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    These are some good ideas!
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've used the Kraft olive oil mayo to make it and it works well. I've also used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 greek yogurt and that's not bad either