Need protein!

Options
I have a problem, I need protein! I can never get over 15% in my diet and I know that's really bad. The reason it's so difficult is because I really don't like meat. No chicken, no beef, no turkey, none of that, I've just never liked the taste or texture. Add the fact that I am a full time nursing student, I am always on-the-go, between class, the hospital, and the gym I find it really difficult to find packable food packed with protein. If anyone could give me any ideas on what you guys pack for lunches? Even if it's something you make at home, I just need to get my protein up...anything help!! :s

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    try vegetarian sources of protien
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I struggle with this also. I'm not so concerned with meeting my protein macro but there are certain days I'm really hungry and I attribute that to not enough protein. How about hard boiled eggs? I haven't attempted protein shakes yet but something I'm going to look into, that may work for you and good for travel.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking premier protein shakes for afternoon snack. They have 30g of Protein.

Other sources for me:
    Kelloggs Protein cereal with milk, cheese stick, chickpeas, legumes, tofu, dannon light & fit greek yogurt
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Chia, hummus, tofu, eggs, greek yogurt, edename, chick peas, lentils, nuts, peanut butter, beans, chick peas, nondairy milk (soy, almond, rice)...
  • mestizzo
    Options
    try vegetarian sources of protien

Yeah, duh.

Karla, take with you some nuts that are rich in proteins. I'm getting mixed opinions on what I've read online but walnuts and pumpkin seeds seem to have both good protein and good fats.
    Also, the wonder bean!!! EDAMAME. You can find these in the frozen section or even among the nuts section of any grocery store. I prefer the frozen ones because sometimes packaged nuts have too much salt added
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    karlav1394 wrote: »
    I have a problem, I need protein! I can never get over 15% in my diet and I know that's really bad. The reason it's so difficult is because I really don't like meat. No chicken, no beef, no turkey, none of that, I've just never liked the taste or texture. Add the fact that I am a full time nursing student, I am always on-the-go, between class, the hospital, and the gym I find it really difficult to find packable food packed with protein. If anyone could give me any ideas on what you guys pack for lunches? Even if it's something you make at home, I just need to get my protein up...anything help!! :s
    The local college sells lowfat greek yogurt everywhere. Cottage cheese. Tofu. Quest bars. Hardboiled eggs.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    hemp protein can be found in vitamin shop or other health food store. I use Nutiva hemp protein powder it contains both fiber, protein, and some vitamins/minerals. hope this helps. good luck. http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Protein-16-Ounce-Container/dp/B001JU81ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423013448&sr=8-1&keywords=nutiva+hemp+protein+powder
  • Richardlaing1
    Richardlaing1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beans and egg whites (if you want to avoid the fat). Green pea soup. Lentil soup. I don't do the egg thing but love the bean and pea soups. And you can make a bunch at a time and it stores well. I also like Barn Dad fiber / protein supplement 1 stone 2 birds and it is easy to take fiber most is awful. Keep in mind if you are not body building you don't need much. 50 grams a day is plenty for non body builders.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Quest bars make for a great snack and taste amazing!
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. You can pre-scoop them into a shaker cup and bring it with you then just add water when you want to drink it.
  • ominousdusk
    Options
    I dont know if you like tuna but that also has a lot of protein in it
  • nissanmama
    nissanmama Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been drinking premier protein shakes for afternoon snack. They have 30g of Protein.

I really like the Premier Protein shakes as well. You can buy them by the case at Costco and Sam's Club. Chocolate and Vanilla are both good. Strawberry can be a little sweet for my taste. They're also not bad at room temp if you're carrying it around in the car. Don't let them freeze, however. I left one in my car overnight once during the winter and it became a solid block of goo. They don't thaw.
  • karlav1394
    karlav1394 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are all amazing ideas! I like can definitely get into greek yogurt and edamame! I love peanut butter already so that's good, I put chia seeds in my oatmeal when I remember, and I'll go and buy Special K protein cereal since I already love Special K. I'll also look into some sort of protein powder to start putting in my smoothies. These are all excellent, thanks again!
  • ominousdusk
    Options
    nut butters and nuts are a fat not a protein. I wouldn't eat a lot of them to try and get more protein in. there's more protein per calorie in watermelon and oranges than in pecans for example.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds, protein shakes... if you have a sweet tooth, check out Epicurean Bodybuilder.. she an AMAZING pb&j cookie recipe (I skip the jelly) that are protein packed.
  • svetlanaorly
    svetlanaorly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, smoked salmon, protein shakes (tera's whey organic protein is my fav) with almond milk and fresh fruit if you have time. Quinoa and steal cut oatmeal has some protein as well and area good for you.I naturally eat more protein due to gluten and dairy restrictions. Keeps your full longer and doesn't make you tired. Cutting added sugar also helps to stay energized. It takes some planning, but well worth it!
  • rmccall86
    rmccall86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll second Greek yogurt and protein shakes. A lot of what these people are listing is less than 15% protein which doesn't help you. If you don't want any meat and don't wanna eat a crap ton of calories, I don't see a choice other than protein shakes, bars , or eggs. Or plane Greek yogurt. Don't get the crap with all the sugar. Toss some raspberries in there and feel great. Or stir in some chocolate protein powder and a touch of water into your yogurt. Tastes like pudding.
  • isaacbarrow
    isaacbarrow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat or dairy and get most of my protein from tofu, beans, legumes and seeds (like hemp). Sprouted tofu, like wildwood brand, is a great source of protein. One serving has 3g of carbs and 14g of protein. Can't beat that ratio! Breakfast idea is to us it in place of an egg, for diner I'll mix it with veggies in a quinoa bowl.
  • karlav1394
    karlav1394 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have never tried tofu but I'll definitely look into it now :D and yeah peanut butter is pretty high in fat, which I try to keep low, so I stick to about a tablespoon or so. However, I do love almonds and walnuts, I could add them to my oatmeal so there's another way to get some protein in. And yes quinoa!!! Love it! But every time I make it, it tastes so bland I don't know what else to "mix" with it. These are awesome ideas thanks so much! That "pudding" idea is genius! I gotta try that out
  • krisqm
    Options
    You can put anything w/quinoa. Chopped veggies, mixed fruit & yogurt, on a salad, with avocado or egg. I am struggling w/getting enough protein too. I only eat seafood and no dairy. I do eat eggs and nuts but try to limit the nuts. Chia seeds and pumpkin are better than walnuts you may want to avoid. I think they have more pesticides. Be careful of many veggie alternatives. They contain lots of soy which women should limit as it can increase risk of female cancers. Eat clean, organic as much as possible and cut sugars. I love the Arbonne protein powder. It's a pea protein so much easier on your system. Good luck. Love all the feedback. I'm constantly looking for alternatives too. I've used canned salmon and tuna as well as tofu.