Do I need to take a day off?

Options
Is it bad for me to exercise every day? Or can I walk on the treadmill to burn and extra 200 calories.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your activity, fitness and goals. I would suggest taking a rest day if you are doing constant intense activity. But a rest day doesn't mean you have to sit at home and do nothing at all. Many people do "active rest". A 200 calorie treadmill walk would probably count as that.
  • sandrarinck
    sandrarinck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to get some exercise everyday but like the above poster said, depends on your goals.

If you must do it everyday, the. Take an easy day. I do it because I want to rest my muscles so I can up the intensity but I also like to eat so. ..
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Unless you are coming from a large period of inactivity, have health restrictions, or recently have come out of a coma, generally some walking isn't taxing on the system or an impediment to recovery at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Details on exercise?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you are going ham all the time, yes. If all you do is walk on the treadmill and aren't breaking too much of a sweat, then it's fine. Or you can do "active" rest days where you'd, say, go for a leisurely walk outside, or maybe go skating, something that isn't that demanding. I take 2-3 rest days a week.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    They say dynamic rest is best, so a day where you just have a walk would be good I reckon as oppose to just sitting on your bum doing nothing! HOWEVER having a proper day where you do nothing also won't hurt, especially if you're exercising and eating good for the other 6 days! We all deserve the odd rest day / off day I think :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    heffron742 wrote: »
    Is it bad for me to exercise every day? Or can I walk on the treadmill to burn and extra 200 calories.

Depends what you're trying to achieve, but generally a rest day is a beneficial thing. without any context on your training plans then any response you get is speculative at best.

My rest day is rather forced on me by work travel, so I still cycle commute. On my non running days I'll eitehr cycle or do some bodyweight training.
  • heffron742
    heffron742 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified before. Normally, I run for a bit and do the elliptical followed by a dumbbell work out. So yes it would make sense that walking on a treadmill wouldn't do any harm.
    Thank you!