I threw away Cheesecake!!!

Options

Replies

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There are children starving in Africa! You could have boxed it up and sent it to them!!!

Just kidding. I'm sure the raccoon that digs it out of the dumpster will be very happy to find the cheesecake you discarded.

If this is what you needed to do to validate your own self control, I don't see a real reason for anyone to hate on it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good for you for finding the willpower not to eat it. Now work on getting that willpower 5 minutes earlier. And I say that as someone who puts in effort to bring tasty treats into work, I'd be really pizzed and probably quite hurt if I found out someone took a chunk just to throw it in the bin.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    200.gif

Forget the starving children... I could've eaten that cheesecake!! :laugh: :wink:
  • Th3Admiral
    Options
    He threw out a piece of cheesecake.

Is it really that different from not eating your full plate at a restaurant (maybe, gasp, putting your napkin or salt on it so you won't be tempted) or something going bad in the fridge because the total portion contained an unreasonable amount of calories? Someone enlighten me if it is. Honestly.

Good job on you, though. It can be hard to say no to (anything with) cheese. I get that it was a split second decision.

Deep breaths.

And you should never feel obligated to work something into your day just because it shouldn't be wasted.
  • cocmares
    cocmares Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Lmao
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Th3Admiral wrote: »

Is it really that different from not eating your full plate at a restaurant (maybe, gasp, putting your napkin or salt on it so you won't be tempted) or something going bad in the fridge because the total portion contained an unreasonable amount of calories? Someone enlighten me if it is. Honestly.

Good job on you, though. It can be hard to say no to (anything with) cheese. I get that it was a split second decision.

Deep breaths.

And you should never feel obligated to work something into your day just because it shouldn't be wasted.

Honestly, the salt thing is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Nothing goes to waste because it has unreasonable amount of calories. I either work it in, or portion it out. Now, if it didn't taste good, not going to bother wasting calories on it. (well, sometimes I do but I regret it).
  • jennay84
    jennay84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys are rediculious , good job for not eating it.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have done this when my boss put a huge slice of cake on my desk. I couldn't return it as the box was on his desk. I discreetly threw it in the bin as I have an allergy. I left an alcohol drink someone had bought for me too as alcohol makes me violently ill.

Well done to the OP on your success in resisting the cake!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Some of you clowns need to get off your high horse.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Deep breaths.

I'd say it's different because the cheesecake could've been walked back to the break room. Someone probably would've eaten it. Throwing it out was pretty thoughtless and disrespectful to the person who brought it in for the office to enjoy.

Not finishing a meal at a restaurant? Well, you bought that food so you can stare at it until it turns green with mold if you really want to. They don't give your uneaten portion to someone else to eat.

I agree with your last thought, though. However, that should mean that before you take something, be it from the break room or the buffet line, you've given thought to whether you actually want to eat it. Not just grab it on a whim because, you know, you can always throw it out if you don't want it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    Some of you clowns need to get off your high horse.

free dessert at work is sacred
  • Th3Admiral
    Th3Admiral Posts: 29
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Double post. Oopsies.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    well done op.
    For next time you can check out the calories first and then decide.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You should feel proud for overcoming the temptation.
  • Th3Admiral
    Options

Deep breaths.

Honestly, the salt thing is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Nothing goes to waste because it has unreasonable amount of calories. I either work it in, or portion it out. Now, if it didn't taste good, not going to bother wasting calories on it. (well, sometimes I do but I regret it).
    Okay, so you don't agree with it, but that wasn't my question. My question was, is it any different? Because, to my knowledge, these are commonly accepted and reasonable practices. Yet this guy is getting a lot of flack for something I perceive as pretty equivalent.

We've all wasted food at some point as the result of the decisions we make. Oh! The bread went mouldy on the counter because I'm used to chowing down on toast in the evening and now I'm making healthier food choices! Oops. That's a learning curve. What the OP did was also part of a learning curve. Both ended in food waste.

I'm not terribly fond of the salt thing either, but that doesn't change the fact that I've seen a few posts on MFP about dealing with restaurants where people say they did this and get quoted by others with no mention of food waste. Throwing away the cheesecake and drowning the food in salt are both sabotage.

I do agree wholeheartedly on the taste bit. Brings back awful memories of force fed liver.

Deep breaths.

I'd say it's different because the cheesecake could've been walked back to the break room. Someone probably would've eaten it. Throwing it out was pretty thoughtless and disrespectful to the person who brought it in for the office to enjoy.

Not finishing a meal at a restaurant? Well, you bought that food so you can stare at it until it turns green with mold if you really want to. They don't give your uneaten portion to someone else to eat.

I agree with your last thought, though. However, that should mean that before you take something, be it from the break room or the buffet line, you've given thought to whether you actually want to eat it. Not just grab it on a whim because, you know, you can always throw it out if you don't want it.
    Fair enough as per the first two paragraphs. I see what you're getting at. But that's more taking issue with regards to respect to other parties as it is towards food waste, if I'm reading you correctly?

As for thinking about it ahead of time... I'm sure OP will get there, it can be a long road for some. Not everyone can predetermine definitively whether they are going to eat something with confidence or not. For a lot of people, it's a very hard relationship between eating, guilt, and regret. The compulsion to eat something tempting can be very strong. It's not grabbing on a whim, it's being compelled. I don't know if you've ever had a true binge before, but it's a very uncontrollable situation. To be about to eat it and decide against it is very empowering. It can also be fleeting. You need to get rid of it. Fast. I doubt OP didn't think about it, wrestle with it, and the give in (and ultimately, make the decision to not eat). I would take offence at someone indifferently wasting food because they thought they might or might not eat it. To be in a situation where you took the food because one very powerful and unwanted desire outweighed the other is a bit of a different story.
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I threw away a half-used container of cream cheese frosting today and it felt great! :)
  • Grapejuice2015
    Options
    Good for you! Now you know you can do it again. If you make a bad choice, you can always change you mind, like you throwing it away. I see how throwing it away was a personal victory. I wouldn't worry about anyone's feelings or that you have trashed good food. It's not like you threw a salad away or took oranges from charity and threw them away. In the office, people put out candy bowls, bring in morning doughnuts, cakes, etc. Why are they doing this? You need to bring in a veggie tray for everyone and start educating the office. :)!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good for you! Now you know you can do it again. If you make a bad choice, you can always change you mind, like you throwing it away. I see how throwing it away was a personal victory. I wouldn't worry about anyone's feelings or that you have trashed good food. It's not like you threw a salad away or took oranges from charity and threw them away. In the office, people put out candy bowls, bring in morning doughnuts, cakes, etc. Why are they doing this? You need to bring in a veggie tray for everyone and start educating the office. :)!

it would have been better for him to throw a salad from the office away than cheesecake. salad is boring. there are always leftovers when there is salad in the office. not true for cheesecake. why does he need to educate the office? they aren't entitled to eat cheesecake if they want to?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!