Honesty the best policy?

Options
mfreeby
mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
Ok well in the spirit of being honest I actually put in all my horrible choices yesterday to my tracker!!! And Saturday wasn't great either....but yesterday!!! More than 500 cals over. Ooops. And also over my sodium. But hey, I haven't lost an ounce in 2 weeks anyways right so why not have one day (Mother's Day!) where I can have a couple drinks (um, ok, 4!) and not feel guilty. I WISH there was some way to actually start losing again but so far this is completely alluding me resulting in a real loss in motivation. I should say that I did exercise over the weekend. And didn't make horrible food choices other than the alcohol. But oh well, nothing I do seems to matter anyways! Sigh.

Replies

• philssis
    philssis Posts: 28
    Options
    Maybe a little shake up was what your body needed! Too much routine gets your body comfortable. New day. Smile and do something good for you today. You're worth it :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Is there a machine or a fitness routine that you HATE because it is sooooo hard.

If so I would suggest doing that machine stat. It may just be what your body needs.

I plan on starting free weight lifting today, as hopefully a motivator for my body to lose more weight.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of honesty, my thought is this....its unfair to expect results on the scale when you haven't done the work to make that change.

I had a quick look at your diary, and also read your post carefully, so it seems to me thatyou are logging, but not make the best choices - which according to your post, you are aware of. So I think its too early in the game to say nothing will work for you. In fairness, your body is built with basically the same phsyiological make up as any other human, so what works for most should work for your too. (meaning eating healthy and exercise)

Maybe have a chat with your doctor about your specific health concerns and goals, and get set up with a good plan that will be easy to follow and maintain.

Hang in there, you can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is a big fear of mine. How will I react when the weight stops dropping? Will I say screw it and go back to hot fudge sundaes for lunch (true statement)?

Stay strong. Push through this!
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    I have been at the SAME weight (give or take 3 pounds, 5 during TOM) since October. YES OCtOBER! I have lost inches over that time and actually I have learned to IGNORE the scale. I have days when I screw up, that I don't even record..but this is a LIFE STYLE change, not a diet, not a fad. I know tha tI will not eat well everyday for the rest of my life, but will 5 out of y7 days a week will I make healthier choices? YEP!
    Good luck and know that you are not alone!
  • mfreeby
    Options
    In the spirit of honesty, my thought is this....its unfair to expect results on the scale when you haven't done the work to make that change.

I had a quick look at your diary, and also read your post carefully, so it seems to me thatyou are logging, but not make the best choices - which according to your post, you are aware of. So I think its too early in the game to say nothing will work for you. In fairness, your body is built with basically the same phsyiological make up as any other human, so what works for most should work for your too. (meaning eating healthy and exercise)

Maybe have a chat with your doctor about your specific health concerns and goals, and get set up with a good plan that will be easy to follow and maintain.

Well other than the drinks I had this weekend, I think I've been doing very well food and exercise wise. I'm not expecting changes based on this weekend but the two weeks beforehand, I think I worked pretty hard. I stayed within my cals and exercised almost everyday.
  • baumhoff
    baumhoff Posts: 30
    Options
    I have to give you kuddos for tracking!!!! It makes you aware of where you stand and what you are doing wrong or right!! We all "fall off the wagon"......you know that you have and you know what you have to do!!! Can you set yourself a reward for a short-term goal? I think its awesome you are still here.....
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    To be honest... along about 30-ish years old, your metabolism really changes.
    I was in great shape at 30. I walked 4-5 miles daily. I did some toning excercises and frankly I didn't really pay attention to what I ate.

Now that I am 47 and out of shape I could KICK myself for letting it happen. Yes, I had a bad car crash and have some injuries. Yes, I had my son at 40 and gained 100 lbs (pregnancy is NOT easy for me).

But the real truth is - I have to move more. I'm now trying 30 in the morning, 30 in the evening... to keep my metabolism going.

My advise is... less carbs, more moving...

And - if you want to go out and have fun and drink/eat over your calories... that is your choice.
    But I think on a board full of women who are very experienced in healthy choices and such... you should not be shocked or even seem irritated that someone may not answer "oh yes, you've done all you can... give up!" .

It's not going to happen!

Everyone goes over now and then and has fun now and then. No big deal. Right? Bottom line - today is a new day. eat better & exercise more. And stick to it.
  • mfreeby
    Options

And - if you want to go out and have fun and drink/eat over your calories... that is your choice.
    But I think on a board full of women who are very experienced in healthy choices and such... you should not be shocked or even seem irritated that someone may not answer "oh yes, you've done all you can... give up!" .

It's not going to happen!

Everyone goes over now and then and has fun now and then. No big deal. Right? Bottom line - today is a new day. eat better & exercise more. And stick to it.

I really wouldn't expect anyone to say to give up. I just have been trying very hard for the last month by following the 17DD plan and exercising 5 days a week and so I was being honest about a not so great weekend. Other than that, I've stuck to my plan despite not getting any results and I am proud of that! It is a new day and I plan on getting right back on the plan. It's just frustrating that aside from my bad choices this weekend, I hadn't been getting any results. Thanks to everyone who is being supportive.
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    "I really wouldn't expect anyone to say to give up. I just have been trying very hard for the last month by following the 17DD plan and exercising 5 days a week and so I was being honest about a not so great weekend. Other than that, I've stuck to my plan despite not getting any results and I am proud of that! It is a new day and I plan on getting right back on the plan. It's just frustrating that aside from my bad choices this weekend, I hadn't been getting any results. Thanks to everyone who is being supportive."

I think getting back on the plan is a great idea. But I do also think that there is room for improvement in your diary (as there is in mine, I'm sure).

Good luck. Maybe you are just on a plateau and need to switch things up a bit or excercise longer.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You have so little left to lose, maybe that's slowing you down.

Maybe there will be a big drop next weigh in, when any water weight has subsided. As for perfect diaries, I lost most of what I lost on mfp while eating Christmas left-overs! There seems to be a direct correlation between eating badly and losing weight for me :wink:

Good luck.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Well other than the drinks I had this weekend, I think I've been doing very well food and exercise wise. I'm not expecting changes based on this weekend but the two weeks beforehand, I think I worked pretty hard. I stayed within my cals and exercised almost everyday.

I'm sorry, I thought that by you're post of saying "honesty is the best policy" was because you wanted honest feedback. I didn't mean to come across as disrespectful in any way, so I'm sorry if I did, but I'm not the sort of person who's going to say "good job" when someone is struggling and asking for help.

I see you've closed your diary, which is too bad as it makes it hard for anyone to post any real suggestions.

But I had already looked at it, and I did see that there were a few days in the last couple of weeks, that you were over your calorie limit, and other days that you were under 1200 calories, and even days that you were well under 1000 calories. You've probably noticed that MFP gives a warning when you go under 1200. There are reasons why that in itself will stop you from losing weight. There's lots written on it if you wanted to research it.

My point was that while you are putting the focus on this past weekend, if you were brutally honest with yourself, you'd see that the past couple of weeks are actually not as good as what they could be. Tthat's not to say that maybe they are not better than what they might have been before you joined MFP, just that there's room for improvement and not to give up because you can be sucessful. (incidently, my last 2 weeks haven't been perfect either, but today is a new day right?)

Also from what I saw you don't eat a lot of veggies,and what you do is mostly lettuce, which is actually quite low in nutritional value. You'd get better bang for your buck with spinach or kale.

Lastly I wanted to add that what's working for me is getting educated about what really is proper nutrition and how the body works, I believe its the best way to be sucessful, (for me). I was merely suggesting that the same may work for you.