Alaska/ trying to go from 340lbs to 250lbs

Options
6'3" male 340lbs trying to lose 90lbs, advice, Motivation, Inspiration, tips... All welcome

Replies

• demo_d
    demo_d Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    7 days in....11lbs lost.... I have changed my diet dramatically cutting 3000+ cal. From my daily intake and have started a membership at a gym. I'am currently only using the treadmills for 45mins a day at 3mph and on a incline level 3, just because that's about all my body will give me in my current health. I do try to bump my speed up to a 4-4.5 mph speed. but I'm having trouble running/jogging balance is not my friend, or maybe it's just my size and running is all new to me I've been big since I was little never athletic. But tips to jogging on treadmill while big would help food tips would also be awesome. Friends also welcome add me if u want.
  • genericuser138
    genericuser138 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am the same journey. I am down to 308 as of today. Be careful with running you're to experience some terrible dolt pain and maybe days where you can hardly walk. I tried a 10 week learn to run program and although I gained a lot of endurance and speed I paid for it with pain. Good luck to you hopefully I'll see you at the 250 mark.
  • jacquifhill
    jacquifhill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Must be some fantastic walks you can go on if you live in alaska rather than the treadmill if it hurts. As for food tips I have changed my diet dramatically and enjoying it. Shop online so I can't buy junk. Bought a soup maker and make delicious, healthy and nutritious meals. Keep at it it gets easier everyday. I changed my eating habits from 9th jan so it's early days. Watched a programme about overeating being a form of self harm and something inside me just clicked and I hope I never change back to the awful food habits I've had for donkey's years. Good luck with your journey.
  • demo_d
    Options
    So current update I'm now down to 325.6lbs day 10 feeling good about the change to my life so far still got stuff to work out with my diet and gym plan muscles are sore but still giving 100% .. Wanna step up my work out but I'm not sure my legs can take a increase yet. Idea on maybe upper body work out that burns high fat and calories? I'm still a exercise noob and gym noob. Also pls keep in mind I'm 325 lbs and 6'3 tall 30 years old, best would be low impact to avoid damage to muscles that would hinder my progresses. Ready to live I new lifestyle with a new body and health
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    LiveForTheWilderness Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great job, man. I (6'4") started at 435 and and am down to 265 as of this morning. My favorite low impact exercise was/is a recumbent bike. Remember though, exercising is for fitness, controlling your caloric intake is where weight loss really happens. I still bike a couple of times a week but now that I've lost a bit of weight, I have taken up running and find it the impact very manageable compared to what it was.
  • joshuabicchinella
    Options
    Demo _D. I'm 308 6'5" from AK to, living in Oregon now, and I hear you loud and clear. Running and jogging for me isn't comfortable till the 250 range. I'm starting to get back in shape now that college, my daughter's getting older, and works getting stable. I recommend the elliptical as its super low impact on the knees and you have more balance for being a big man like me. Keep it going!
  • joshuabicchinella
    joshuabicchinella Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Demo_D. I read your later post, hit the row machine. It's a beast, I've never seen something burn the fat off quicker than that.
  • demo_d
    Options
    5 miles today, a first for me felling good and encouraged
  • demo_d
    Options
    Currently down to 299lbs. I work 6 days a week right now, so it's been a crazy 45 days but I have been able to stay on track with my diet, I had to cut my gym time to about 3 days a week right now because of work. I do construction so I'm still getting my but kicked every day hanging 10 ft drywall and all that good stuff.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    demo_d wrote: »
    6'3" male 340lbs trying to lose 90lbs, advice, Motivation, Inspiration, tips... All welcome
    Howdy, mate! 6'4 male here, down from 350 in 2014 to 270 in 2015. It's a long journey, but totally possible--take one step at a time and find a safe pace that keeps you full, happy, and uninjured!

Reading further down, I see you've lost 26# in 4 weeks. Take care--WebMD considers 1% of your bodyweight per week the maximum healthy pace unless you're under direct medical supervision.