I need your help!

Options
So I have been trying to lose weight since I was probably 10 years old. My new years resolution this year was to really give this thing a shot with no excuses, which I know is going to be awfully difficult after all these years of giving up on myself. I am a 17 year old girl, still in high school, and am constantly being pressured to go out and eat food that is terrible for me. I am incredibly obese, with a weight of 338.4 lbs and a BMI of 53, which is much over the obesity scale. Honestly, I don't know what else to do. I want someone there who understands what I am going through, whether or not you are in high school, or went through similar challenges while growing up. My goal is 130lbs by april 2016, which I know probably won't happen, but I am going to think big. I want to graduate in a dress that I don't have to get specially made, and take lots of pictures that I won't look back at in 50 years and regret. If you think you can help, please message me. I really do need you.
-Maddie

Replies

• acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    first off believe in yourself and believe that you can do it!! At my highest weight, I was 230. I started off full throttle and than quit for awhile when it became hard but than I started again by making slow changes. First thing I did was change my portion sizes; I switched from a regular size plate to a saucer, I never cut anything out of my diet I just learns you can eat what you want but moderation is key. I than added exercise about 5-6 days a week and now I have lost 86 pounds.
    At your age, I would suggest getting your parents involved to support you in your journey.ask them to buy healthy snacks and to maybe make your journey a family journey. Feel free to add me as a friend and if I can help in anyway let me know. You can do this believe in yourself and know you are worth it and that anything is possible.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I lost around 125 pounds and it took me about 15 months. You know in order to lose weight, you simply have to eat at a caloric deficit. As far as weight loss, it doesnt really matter if the food is "terrible" for you. Eat what you want, just eat less of it. Make small goals for yourself, I did ten pounds at a time. When if seems like its going to take forever, remind yourself that time is going to pass, whether your doing this or not.
    Its a mental thing, as much as a physical thing. Dont allow yourself to feel guilty if you mess up occasionally, its no big deal. Its only a big deal if you give up.
    Make sure you weigh and measure all your food.
    I see a lot of people posting on here, that they lose their motivation after awhile. The thing is, it doesnt matter whether you feel motivated or not, you just do it anyway. everyone loses motivation occasionally.
    Send me a friend request if you'd like, I know you can do it!
  • sahead710
    sahead710 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I wish that I had the sense at 17 to lose the weight I was rapidly gaining, I have been fat my entire life, I'm 221 right now well in the obesity range for my 5'2" frame. Your best bet is to have support from others around you, your friends and family, it's hard to make major changes in your life without that support because when you're doing it alone, or with people around you that don't have healthy habits, it's so much harder to keep going. I know that on days where I'm not motivated, my workout partner makes me get up and do it, not even by telling me to, it's the fact that I know that whether or not I go with him, he's going and he's doing this and that makes me want to all the more. Not everyone has that and I appreciate that every day cuz I know it won't be forever. Try to find someone in your life that wants to make that change too and do it with them. If you can't you know all the people on MFP are here and we are all going through similar struggles and it's not hard to make friends here :smile:
  • vbianca2728
    Options
    Hi, I can relate (when I was in hs). You shouldn't deprive yourself of having a good hs experience, just change some things as far as eating habits. It can be difficult but very possible. Start off with small goals every month, maybe 5 to 10 lbs a month, so you can feel an accomplishment. Remember, Its Posdible!