Starting c25k and weight training.

I'd like to start doing both but I'm not sure how to schedule it. I was thinking of weight training 3 days a week (nonconsecutive days) and follow my weightlifting session with 30 minutes on the treadmill doing c25k. What do you think?

Replies

• ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    I started C25k last week and I alternate days between strength and C25k. M, W and Fri I do the C25k and Tu & Th (sometimes Sa too) I will weight train. I exercise on the weekends depending upon how active I am compared to a normal weekday.

If you plan on doing this on a treadmill, they have a schedule of the HIIT routines designed specifically for treadmills on their site.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Seems reasonable. C25K is a good way to slowly build up cardiovascular fitness while not overdoing stress on your legs. You might want to begin by doing more upper body and core work in your weight training, since running is mostly lower body, until you find out how you do with them. But since you're not going to be aiming for really fast runs or races in C25K, it shouldn't be a problem. Just pay attention to how you feel, and if the runs seem harder when you do more lower body training, then maybe ease off a bit, or repeat weeks in C25K if you prefer.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I am on week three of c25k and stronglifts 5x5. I started with doing them on the same day, with the weight training first( my performance with weights is more important to me) and then c25k. After a couple workouts I decided to put them on separate days because my running was slacking from my muscles being tired from the weights. I suggest just ttrying it out how you feel fits best in your schedule and if it works great, if not no harm changing it up later.
  • USMCMcG
    USMCMcG Posts: 7 Member
    I'm on two similar programs to kandeye. Jeff Galloway from rundisney and Dan John's 40-day workout. Since I've experienced overtraining injuries in the past, I am just putting in the miles walking on the Galloway plan three mornings a week and working out fairly light on weekday afternoon/evenings. What's nice is that both workouts are about 1/2 an hour and they fit in to my schedule really nicely.

I'm eating to maintenance and letting the exercise work the caloric deficit.

Good Luck!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    I am also doing c25k and 5x5 on alternating days. Do you take any rest days or just continue every other day 7 days a week?
  • Blessed_Mommy86
    Blessed_Mommy86 Posts: 52 Member
    I was thinking of doing C25K plus the weight lifting 3 nights a week, probably every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then taking the weekend off. I'm also doing a boot camp most weekday mornings. I hope I'm not over doing it but I only have a short amount of time to lose some weight as I'm planning on being pregnant within the next few months. I figure I'll do the boot camp until I'm pregnant and then continue weight lifting and running throughout my pregnancy.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    It can get a little time consuming doing them on the same day, especially if you're weight training is intense. I just finished c25k and started the 10k app. Since I started off with 4 days of strength training, I kept hitting days where I had to overlap and if you can, I'd keep them separate (unless you're doing a morning evening split). I do run, lift, run, lift, run, lift, rest.