Weekends are killing me

Options
Hello, I have 10 pounds left to make it to my goal weight, this last stubborn bit of belly fat is really hard to get rid of, I am able to stick to my diet during the weekdays but when it comes saturday and sunday it goes to *kitten*. No matter how hard I try I end up eating too much.

What are some very powerful psychological tips I can do to prevent this? Its seriously slowing down my weight loss. And I can't seem to do anything about it. I try my hardest every weekend but no matter how much I distract myself I end up overeating. Literally the only solution I have is to not stay home, but that's really inconvenient for me.

Replies

• embee2301
    embee2301 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh no, that sounds terrible! Could you be using bad food to reward yourself for being good all week? Try treating yourself to something nice and non food related like a nice walk, quality time with loved ones or a massage on the weekends instead. :) Use food as something that nourishes your body, not a reward. You aren't a pet :)

The only other thing I would say, is try to fill up on nutritious food before you go out on the weekends, so you don't need to eat so much of the unhealthy options. :)

When I am out and tempted by food I don't really want to put in my body I tell myself over and over that my stomach is not a waste basket. :)

You can totally do this! This weekend can be different.

• eunhyuk12
    Options
    embee2301 wrote: »
    Oh no, that sounds terrible! Could you be using bad food to reward yourself for being good all week? Try treating yourself to something nice and non food related like a nice walk, quality time with loved ones or a massage on the weekends instead. :) Use food as something that nourishes your body, not a reward. You aren't a pet :)

The only other thing I would say, is try to fill up on nutritious food before you go out on the weekends, so you don't need to eat so much of the unhealthy options. :)

When I am out and tempted by food I don't really want to put in my body I tell myself over and over that my stomach is not a waste basket. :)

You can totally do this! This weekend can be different.

Thank you for replying. I was getting depressed over this. I think it is the fact that I get too relaxed on weekends.

Thanks again. I will follow all your tips, I will end this problem once and for all.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe structure you weekend in ways that are similar to the weekday.
    In other words, take some good parts of the work week and put it into Sat and Sun.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Save calories over the week if that is where your strength lies to eat at the weekend

Pre-log your weekends as much as possible

Batch cook so you have go-to low calorie meals

• pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's OK to eat less during the week and more at weekends. If you 'save' 100 cals each day, that's 500 extra cals for the weekend. It's not good to save cals up for weeks on end to then have a huge binge, but netting out to zero over a week is fine.

So, you can eat a *bit* more at weekends, if you plan for it.

Definitely pre-plan your food and log it at the start of each day. Sticking to it is just willpower and it's hard to give tips. Try to keep busy. Avoid time just sitting around at home as boredom leads to snacking! You need to be too busy to think about food. Once you're in the routine of eating less at weekends then you can build back in some quiet time...
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The first weekend that you stick to your meal plan will be the hardest - then itll just get easier and easier! Just keep telling yourself that the taste of the extra food lasts for a few minutes so why no eat health foods to fill you up and not regret it later? Can you remember every pizza youve ever eaten? I'm guessing not... there for in a few weeks you wont feel like youve missed out at all and you'll still be on track! good luck!
  • Shortround_85
    Shortround_85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do twice as much exercise on Sat and Sun than I do in the week, my deficit becomes a lot bigger so I can snack more without feeling bad! :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No good advice, from me, I'm afraid - this is exactly where I'm struggling too. In for the tips. (And seriously, the first 75lb were so much easier to lose than the last 25lb.)
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan your weekend's eating. Log it ahead.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    in addition to some good tips above I say exercise! I try to get in at least an hour bike ride on Saturday and Sunday. if I do that I find I can pretty much eat what I want and still stay under calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days, it helps tremendously.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It starts and ends with accountability.

Weekends aren't killing you. *YOU* are killing you.
  • eunhyuk12
    Options
    It starts and ends with accountability.

Weekends aren't killing you. *YOU* are killing you.

You don't have to take what i say so literally, I'm not stupid, i know its my fault.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely!

I'm not an expert - in fact, I'm at the beginning of my journey - but I do the exact same as you - I eat such rubbish over the weekend but I have found a few things help!

Have a "cheat" meal rather than day - Tell yourself in the morning that you must eat healthily throughout the day because you're having a family sized bag of crisps with NCIS later or a takeaway for dinner - by doing that you motivate yourself and usually eat less in the evening anyway.

Wake up early - get up early, eat a banana, do a workout then try eating porridge (or similar) at 10am. You'll eat healthily and squeeze in a workout to ensure you're burning some of the 'treat' food prior to eating it.

Make youself a deal - "I can eat whatever I want between the hours of 4-6pm, no later". That way you limit yourself without denying yourself

if you do well throughout the week - weigh yourself on a saturday morning then again on a monday morning to see how much you gained over the weekend - seeing that number will motivate you!

Above all else, don't beat yourself up about it - aim for 1lb a week - by Summer you'll be at your goal weight without being too sore on yourself and lets face it, a year ago you'd have been delighted with that :)

xx
  • eunhyuk12
    Options
    Update: Its sunday and I still haven't broken my diet. Saturdays are usually the hardest but i got through it yesterday, and so far sunday is going great too! I'm so happy, i have found some good ways to counter the overeating and I haven't overate so far. This is the first weekend in a while that i have gotten through, im going to make sure i keep this up next weekend too. Finally things are looking bright.
  • sncoombs
    Options
    Plan Plan Plan Plan Plan!!! Do as much as you can in advance - and leave a few calories for you to play around with! Try and assess your last few weekends and see what you're eating that's causing you to go over...and then work them in to your weekend and calorie goals!!