4 weeks in and having a hard time sticking with it.... Help!

Options
Hi. I'm 31, 2 kids... I started at 16st13lbs. I'm now 15st7. This is way more than I expected to lose so soon
BUT it's stalling. The lbs have stopped dropping off. And now I feel like I need to reach for the chocolate.... It felt so good weighing myself and losing every time but I haven't lost anything in 5 days now...
I'm upping my exercise and controlling my cals
Help!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is generally not linear and there will be daily fluctuations due to many reasons: hormones, what you ate or drank the day before, exercise, hydration, dehydration, fluid retention etc.

Give it time, relax its only five days...
  • bonsallduck
    bonsallduck Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE. Dont lose heart, carry on you will get there! :)
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You've done awesome. Are there other things you can look to besides the scale to see you are still making progress? Measurements shrinking, clothes fitting better, more energy for those kids?
  • jamiesparklez
    jamiesparklez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    With only 8 pounds to go (on your ticker), you should only be aiming for about a half pound a week. Don't focus so much on the scale. Track your progress through fitness goals, measurements, how clothes fit and progress photos.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You've done great, but some of what you lost was water weight. It's gone now, and now you can think of every ounce you lose as pure body fat from now on (or close enough, unfortunately we do lose a little muscle mass, too, but not much when we do it right and keep a sensible calorie deficit, sensible exercise, and have patience).

I can't believe I was such a hypocrite typing that, though, I am the most impatient person in the world, so I understand your frustration!
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

I do it every year!! Start being good, lose about a stone and a half fairly easily then it slows and stops and I lose interest and give up! This year I started over a stone heavier than last year!!

Just keep at it! Also...I only weigh once a week. Friday morning, after my fast day, furthest point from the previous weekend, totally nekkid, after a wee, before my cup of tea!
    That's a bit of a lie. I do a weight in at work fat club on tuesdays (theres 6 of us trying to lose so we made a little club) but I sort of ignore that as its always higher than my 'Real' one on Friday! Probably as I'm dressed and usually have had some liquids at least! But at least there is motivation not to be the "lab fatty" for the week and friendly competition to try to keep me interested!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So in 4 weeks you lost 19 lbs and you aren't happy?

Weight loss takes time stop trying to rush it. Sounds like you are running too big of a deficit already. Learn to have some patience

Read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • shanayjune
    Options
    Don't give up! Just keep going, think if you start eating bad you'll gain back all the weight you lost. If your doing the samething switch it up. You might even need to increase your exercises. Do you lift weights? Consider adding in some weight training session. Building muscle will burn more calories. You've come so far don't quit now!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Many people have discovered that their bodies go through a water loss, gain, stabilize cycle when first starting to lose weight and this can last up to a month to six weeks. First, you lose a lot of water weight (pounds lost), then your body goes "oopsie, I need some of that stuff back" so it starts to retain more than it needs (weight loss stops or even regain a little), then it decides on how much is the proper amount to keep and you stabilize and the losses start up again. This whole time you will be burning fat, as long as you are in a deficit. Starting exercise can also cause your body to hold on to more water in order to repair muscles.

It sounds as though you might be in the "retain extra water so my body has enough" stage. What is your weekly weight loss goal? What is your average weekly loss so far? If those two numbers are really close (or the loss is more than goal), don't worry about it, the losses will start up again soon. Just make sure you are logging accurately.
  • Susanne_Violette
    Susanne_Violette Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stay with it! Try to remember that we didn't gain it in a day or a week. We gained it by making uninformed and bad food choices. Put yourself on your priority list, right at the top! Learn to treat your body as the miraculous system it is. We are all here with you! We can do this!
  • ndzt
    ndzt Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
    Just having a crappy week I think.... Working with Cake and chips all say doesn't help lol
    Planning to get going with the gym soon so hopefully I'll get back to losing again :)