Options
Has anyone posted this yet?

RUN FAST, DIE YOUNG. Thoughts??

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/your-lazy-friend-was-right-all-along

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running for other reasons (mental health, how you feel, etc.), I wouldn't worry about this study too much. However, I suppose it does make sense that overusing certain parts of your body would wear them out quicker. I know a lot of 40+ runner friends that are always sporting joint injuries. Perhaps that is a sign that mixing up the routine may be beneficial (e.g., substitute swimming or some other non-impact exercise for 1/3 of the time or something).

However, again, I wouldn't stop running because of this study if you love it.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't run anymore....too old. ;p I bike. But, I was curious what people thought about the article.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Eh, I am not worring about it. I run, but I also cross train with other forms of exercise like kickboxing, cycling, kettlebells.
    Studies can pretty much manipulate statistics to prove whatever they want.

We're all gonna die someday.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Running. Not even once.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Repetitive strain, yes. But my goal in running is to do it without injury. So I run only three times a week. I increase gradually. Scale back if I get any joint pain. I'm not out to be an Olympian or to cross the finish line first, but to maaaan...do things I couldn't do even a few months ago!

Running is too fun to give up at this point.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There was a thread on here just yesterday about this very topic where the study was fairly thoroughly shown to be full of errors, and headed up by a guy well known for coming out with regular craptastic studies against running, seems to have some bias against running for some reason. I wouldn't worry about this one study.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10075775/is-too-much-running-unhealthy#latest