Why? Why? Why?

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    All these graphs are amazing! They really tell a story!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying, it's not linear. The overall trend is the important thing.

qtf4h998h5ng.png
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight loss is not linear.

careful. i said this in a response to a different post and got flagged as abuse twice :grumble:
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Are you due for your period? Could be that too... Normal to gain water weight during your period week...then it normally goes right back down after it's over ;)
  • outtamyweigh
    Options
    I have finally seen the light! I've never seen the ups/downs like that graphically. I just assumed everyone's was a straight shot down and I was "failing". Wow super eye opening!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Kind of an aside, but I've always wondered why weight seems to spike right before it drops. I notice mine will jump and then apparently overnight it will drop 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds. I thought it was just me but now I see that's apparently common.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    don't forget that when you lose weight to click on "settings" > "update your diet/ fitness profile" > enter your new (current) weight then click on "update profile" to finish. You do this because as you lose weight you won't need as many calories as when you first started and MFP will automatically adjust the amounts for you. It takes off 10 or 20 calories from maintenance for every lb. or two that you lose. 6.5 lbs. is a big jump in the first week
  • 1Jac
    1Jac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I
    They have all been very helpful and reassuring. X
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out this flow chart by a forum member that walks you through weight loss stalling/gains? I think you will find it both onteresting and very useful and encouraging:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10074119/weight-loss-flow-chart-feedback-needed
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations. Just keep doing what you're doing and be patient.
  • bevans666
    Options
    Really do not worry about it and don't be tempted to get off track, once you are over that first bump you will be okay. Also, in the past I have been bad at giving up or writing off a day because I have had something bad. Don't think that just because you have had a chocolate bar that you have ruined your diet for that day, think opps, that is not good, add that to your naughties and continue with your day. DON'T be tempted to write off the whole day!
    5lbs in 2 weeks is good, way to go!! :smiley:
  • sjaplo wrote: »
    Here is 1 year for me, weighing daily and recording changes - not linear at all.

c72sroenzmsy.png

How do I create a chart, like this & I notice that some have their "Ticker", in their comments; I don't know how to do that either.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone download the happy scale app. It allows you to record daily so you can see the trend. This way if on weigh in day you gain, you can go back and see the trend and not be so upset about it.

Knowing that it isn't always going to go down though, helps. Water, waste, undigested food can make you appear heavier. scale weight isn't just fat weight.
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These graphs are super cool! I want to chart mine too! :-)
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up! We all have ups and downs. Keep going!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Fluctuations are completely normal - esp for women with all the charming hormones. I 'gained' 2.5 lbs in the last 2 days while eating at a deficit. I just ignore and move on as long as I know I am logging as accurately as possible. Should that trend continue for me, I'll reassess. But I can pretty much guarantee I'll be down those 2.5 plus some in the next week
  • If you have a smart phone download the happy scale app. It allows you to record daily so you can see the trend. This way if on weigh in day you gain, you can go back and see the trend and not be so upset about it.

Knowing that it isn't always going to go down though, helps. Water, waste, undigested food can make you appear heavier. scale weight isn't just fat weight.

Thank you!
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The first week is all water weight anyways
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I know if I lose a lot one week, I'll see a gain or the same the next week. Just fluctuations. Might be water, might be sodium. But you just have to keep being consistent and wait.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why?

Because you didn't lose 6.5 pounds of fat that first week.

Most of that was normal daily fluctuation that will come back, go away, come back, go away ... as the days roll and time marches on. Water. Poop. Food in the digestive tract - it all adds to the scale and it's all different every day, right?