Is there a free website for teens

Options
whitespider360
whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My daughter wants to chat with other teens and read about others and their weight loss and keep a diary online. Does anyone know of such a site? She has over 100 pounds to lose and really needs to see success stories that's in her age group.

Replies

• forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sparks
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • whitespider360
    Options
    Ok, thank you so much..
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter? Probably stating the obvious, but make sure you are involved in her use of that site as well, and supervise how she is eating, and the types of interactions she has online as well. Weight loss for teens can be a whole different animal compared to adults! I'd also recommend making sure she is careful on sites like tumblr which have weight loss communities; there are tags related to EDs on that site, and those communities are still very active even with Tumblr regularly clearing tags and deleting blogs that violate community guidelines.

Good luck to her!
  • whitespider360
    Options
    I watch everything she eats. I have her on a low carb diet same as me. She has lost 18 pounds so far. She was very depressed about her weight and now that she is losing she is feeling better about herself. I have taught her what to look out for on websites, and what not to post. We are a very computer educated family. But I will keep a look out just in case.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I worked with lots ( hundreds) of teen girls. For more than 25 years. From girls who did their sport for a hobby and came to me once a week, to girls i trained on a daily base for ( high level) competition.

And you can be well educated at the computer. But still the ideas they give each other is scary.
    And i know it from experience. Saw from ED to ridiculous healthy freaks, and everything in between.
    The point is with teenagers is that some are getting insecure, start to hear/see/feel irrational things like they are being fat, or eat to much etc you name it.
    And they really believe it.
    They can be harsh on each other. They want to prove that they can do things. They want to belong to the herd and be like that other girl. Etc etc.

So even when your are computer educated dont under estimate teenage girls feelings and brains.
    They always can be sensitive for this kind of developments.

I dont want to be negative but just a warning.
  • whitespider360
    Options
    Oh, I know very well how harsh kids can be. They started picking on my daughter about her weight at a very young age. I ended up having to take her out of school and homeschool her because of the bullying she was getting from other students. The teachers refused to do anything about it. I was picking her up everyday crying everyday from school. She is so shy now, I can't get her to socialize because she's afraid someone might hurt her feelings.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Teens shouldn't be getting weight loss advice from other teens.
  • whitespider360
    Options
    Oh no, any weight loss ideas will go through me. We are on a low carb diet and it's working so that's what we are sticking to right now. There's no way I'm going to take advice from a teenager on weight loss, it to important. This is a lifestyle changer!!!
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This link was on the MFP Facebook page yesterday. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

Within it are links to the best foods for carbs, protein and fats and the information is shown in really nice graphic diagrams. Might be another way of sharing information with your daughter? For example, I have a Pinterest board which I add these links to and little inspirational quotes or similar. The images within the abovementioned links are educational without coming across as a lecture which is the aspect I found difficult to handle as a teen whenever the issue of weight came up. (Not that I'm in anyway insinuating that you're lecturing your daughter! :smile: )

I've been heavy my whole life and, although I didn't suffer at the hands of bullies like your daughter, I did have difficult times when I tried to lose weight and thought it would happen overnight. Age 29 and I'm only now learning how to do this healthily. I had a bad year in my teens when I thought losing weight was only possible by not eating. Teens are so impressionable and I hope you both find the best support possible for your progress together.

Best wishes to your daughter and I truly hope that her weightloss journey also gives her the strength and confidence to enjoy life.

Xxx