Camping Recipes...

Options
LH2007
LH2007 Posts: 15 Member
Hello All:
With spring finally deciding to somewhat show up in Cleveland, Ohio - my family and I have started our weekend camping trips. We love just being outside and relaxing - enjoying quality time together without TV, Video Games, work etc. The only problem is - eating healthy on these camping trips. Are any other members avid campers? If so, can you share some simple and easy recipes that can be done while camping that are still healthy and delicious? We have a permanent site with a travel trailer so it is by no means primitive camping - fridge, stove etc but we do cook over an open fire. Suggestions?

Replies

• scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well and ended up eating hardly anything my last weekend camping. The next time we go I have a few ideas that will help hopefully. I have a crockpot for camping...I am going to make turkey chili, also foil dinners with chicken and veggies and a little fat free italian dressing in it. I also have a popcorn pot to make popcorn for a munchie snack and I only use a little oil to cook the popcorn in and no butter added. Good luck and look forward to seeing what others write.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    i know they have turkey-dogs, which are hotdogs made of turkey. you could go with sandwich stuff instead of the hotdog. Bring some granola bars, healthy trail mix, your fruits and veggies, etc. Wrap chicken breasts (or any other meat) with squash, zucchini, onions, tomato's, mushrooms, potatos etc... in heavy duty aluminum foil and put it in the coals or on a grill on top of the campfire. You can add whatever seasonings you want and can even make it ahead of time. You can also use the foil as a plate and just toss it afterwards.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We usually backpack and end up camping way out in the backcountry, so it's all dehydrated meals there. But, when we camp someplace with amenities, I love making 'grill packets'. You can put almost anything in them. I load them up with shrimp or chicken, veggies, some kind of sauce - toss it on the campfire and 15 minutes later, I have a GREAT dinner. You can even make some 'stir fry" type dishes using Minute rice.

If you go to the Reynold's foil website, they have a big recipe search. Use 'packets' as your keyword search, and you'll get a TON of results http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey chili -- Ro-tel, low sodium beans and ground turkey. Cook in a dutch oven in the campfire.

Also, home-made trail mixes -- granola, nuts, dried cranberries, etc.

Fresh fruit salads

These three are staples for my family, but I'm hoping to see some new ideas on this post as well, I struggle with the same problem!!! Annnd... I am so weak when it comes to s'mores. I eat them until I'm ready to go into a sugar coma. :)
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Eggs, turkey bacon, veggies wrapped in foil, marinated chicken, shishkebobs, turkey smoked sausage, stew...
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    For dessert (you have to splurge a little, no?) take a banana and load it up with whatever (Kids usually cover it with chocolate sauce, little marshmallows, caramel and whatever else, but I dont really add anything...ok, maybe a little chocolate;)....and wrap it all together in foil and throw it in the fire for a little bit. it really changes the flavor of the banana and is so good and nice for cold nights.
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I dont go camping much, but I always look forward to Cleveland summers in Ohio because produce is ABUNDANT! I read someone's amazing recipe for cucumber tomato feta salad (2 cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, feta, red wine vinegar, and olive oil ... although i leave out the olive oil and it doesnt really make much of a taste difference o.o)

Most fresh produce wont need refrigeration...
    Maybe take that as a starting point :)

Watermelon salsa.
    Fruit Kabobs with yogurt dip
    Veggie kabobs for BBQ
    Hummus spread.

Even making your own trail mix with your favorite nuts and dried fruits.

You have me SO excited for picnic weather!!!
  • nmterp
    nmterp Posts: 74
    Options
    Hooray for camping season!

You can always hard boil eggs, great protein, and a quick breakfast/easy to carry on hikes. I live in the SW, so burritos are big here. I use low fat tortillas, beans, (eggs or egg whites if I'm making breakfast burritos), salsa, etc .

Kebobs are another way to get lean protein and veggies in and everyone can make their own. I just cut up meat and put in a ziplock with maranaid. Then pre-cut my veggies and throw those in ziplocks too. If using wooden skewers, don't forget to soak them in water though, or else everything will stick to the skewer. I also make fruit kebobs for dessert!

Sometimes I'll prepare soup or a healthy turkey chili at home and then freeze it in the camping pot. Then all I have to do is put it over the fire and let it reheat.

Of course you can always grill up fresh caught fish...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. We love to go camping, but we don't really pay attention to dieting while we're there. We don't go every weekend, so it's kind of like our cheat. But I love camping, with no TV, no cell phone, no computer, no video games. Just peace and quiet, sitting around a fire. My husband and I have some of our best conversations while camping.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you, upearly, for the reynolds link! I've been looking at recipes for solar cooking, too, to add to my camping menu.
  • MommaKitonet
    Options
    We camp a lot as well. This year will be the first that I will be dieting though so I did a lot of research and thought I would share with you. One thing that can be healthy are kabobs. All the fat drains off as the meat cooks and make sure to use lots of veggies. Taking fresh or canned/ frozen without sugar fruit can be just as good, too. Hope these help.
  • abyt42
    Options

Sometimes I'll prepare soup or a healthy turkey chili at home and then freeze it in the camping pot. Then all I have to do is put it over the fire and let it reheat.

Such a great idea!
  • 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love the banana idea too :)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I don't have any earth-shattering recipes, b ut.... I do all the cooking when we go rafting or camping. One thing I do is prepare all my meals in advance and place them in indivual large baggies. EVERYTHING! I even crack the eggs for the breakfast meals and place in baggie.

I always chop up onions, potatoes, peppers and garlic, mix them together with seasonings and place in bagggie. By the time we break them out for breakfast the flavors have melded together nicely. You can smell it all over the campground or river edge. Big Hit.
  • abyt42
    Options
    Last summer I made foil packets of apple slices, cinnamon and a little sugar. My kids decided I was "the best cook ever."
  • abyt42
    Options
    RoadDog...
    Do your potatoes discolor when you prechop them? If not, what do you do that keeps them from discoloring?
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Grilled corn on the cob, fruit salad, Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Sausage, watermelon, chicken legs, turkey drumsticks...

On the Smores...save some calories by getting the chocolate graham crackers & skip the chocolate bar...you won't miss it!
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks for these ideas! Keep 'em coming!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    RoadDog...
    Do your potatoes discolor when you prechop them? If not, what do you do that keeps them from discoloring?

Not significantly. I keep them in a large baggie with as much of the air squeezed out as possible.