Weight Loss Troubles

Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to all this (started Dec. 29). In my first month, I lost 28.8 pounds through a combination of diet and exercise and I'm hoping to lose a total of 60 pounds by the end of February. I know that may be unrealistic, but I figured I'd rather be disappointed with a high goal by losing 40-50 during this period than set a lower goal and lose that. Anyways, between diet and exercise, I'm supposed to be losing between 0.5 pounds and 1 pound every day (it varies based on my diet) but for the past three days I haven't changed at all. I am usually below the max for 4 of the 6 main things myfitnesspal monitors (calories, sugar, etc...) and I'm consuming 1400-2000 calories per day with 1400-3000 burned per day through indoor cycling. Is there just some massive delay in recognizing weight loss now or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Best,

Dan

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    What was your starting weight?
  • 284 pounds. In the next year, I'd like to go down to 130-145 if possible.
  • superkiki
    superkiki Posts: 7 Member
    Wow you are doing a lot better than me. I started at the end of December and have only lost 3.5 lbs and its like I'm frozen at my current weight. I use a Fitbit and count calories and even cut out all my sugar. My body must be in shock or something. But no new weight loss happening. I've noticed my body is reshaping quite nicely with all my exercise, which is nice, although I want to see results at the scales!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Even at that starting weight, your goal is beyond unreasonable. A pound is roughly equal to 3500 caloried. There is no healthy way to incur a 1750-3500 calorie deficit every day. How much are you cycling?
  • Thank you, superkiki! I actually allow myself soda (I need one tasty thing in my diet or I won't survive lol) but I think the biggest thing for me has been exercise so far. I do between 2 and 4 hours of cardio per day through indoor cycling and I stay away from strength training since muscle weighs more than fat. Are you doing any strength training because that may be the issue on your end. :smile:
  • Just saw your post jemhh. I'm doing 2-4 hours per day at a moderate pace. According to myfitnesspal, I burn around 900 calories per hour of exercise there and I usually do half of all exercise in the morning and the other half right before bed.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    djones195 wrote: »
    Thank you, superkiki! I actually allow myself soda (I need one tasty thing in my diet or I won't survive lol) but I think the biggest thing for me has been exercise so far. I do between 2 and 4 hours of cardio per day through indoor cycling and I stay away from strength training since muscle weighs more than fat. Are you doing any strength training because that may be the issue on your end. :smile:

Why on earth would you deliberately avoid maintaining muscle? There is absolutely no way you'd be in danger of gaining any muscle with what you're currently doing. You're probably losing massive amounts along with the fat. What you're trying to do is crazy dangerous and unhealthy- cut back on cardio, do some strength training to retain your muscles and aim for a 2lb per week loss.
  • Annkie
    Annkie Posts: 5 Member
    I second lemonlionheart's comment. It's a HUGE mistake to stay away from weight resistance exercises as they build muscle which intern increases your metabolism. Although muscle is heavier than fat, it is more dense and therefore takes up half (if not less) space than fat. Furthermore, studies show that your metabolism stays increased much longer after weight resistance exercise than after doing just cardio. Please do some research on that!
  • Please consult a nutritionist. It seems that your calorie intake is too low, which slows your metabolism. Btw, muscle increases your metabolism even while you are resting and while muscle weighs more than fat, it takes up less space and makes you STRONGER
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    Jeeeeeeeeso! Loosing that amount in such a small space of time is - in my opinion (maybe I'm just jealous - unhealthy. Having said that if it works for you, then great but personally I would aim to loose 2lbs a week and that way maintenance is so achievable and realistic without forcing it.

In terms of not noticing any difference on the scales - try a few things such as:

taking your measurements - you might be loosing fat but gaining muscle which takes up half the space that fat does so you will be slimmer.

Try changing up your exercise - if your body gets used to something, it finds a way of dealing with it and using as little energy (calories) as possible - try doing some lunges, squats or kettlebell exercises in between the indoor cycling.

Either way - best of luck! you're doing fabulous! xx
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2015
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat........a pound is a pound is a pound. One is more bulkier and squishier than the other at the same weight (fat), and the other is more dense and firm (muscle).
  • 1 pound (of muscle) = 1 pound (of fat) weight wise. 1 pound of anything, weighs they same as 1 pound of anything else. However, muscle is more dense and smoother then fat. Therefore, it looks much smaller then a pound of fat and it does not dimple under the skin as fatty tissue does. Increased muscle mass definitely does increase your metabolism (the rate at which you burn energy) both during exercise and at rest. It also increases confidence by making you physically and mentally stronger.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    LizTiz42 wrote: »
    1 pound (of muscle) = 1 pound (of fat) weight wise. 1 pound of anything, weighs they same as 1 pound of anything else. However, muscle is more dense and smoother then fat. Therefore, it looks much smaller then a pound of fat and it does not dimple under the skin as fatty tissue does. Increased muscle mass definitely does increase your metabolism (the rate at which you burn energy) both during exercise and at rest. It also increases confidence by making you physically and mentally stronger.

Fine...true and all that.

However a 284 lb man is not building muscle eating 1400 calories a day and exercising as much/hard as he is, so it's a moot point vis a vis this thread.

OP your plan is awful, dangerous, and unsustainable. Seriously.
  • A 28.8 pound weight loss during a month is dangerous and has to be mostly water weight. Aiming for a pound of weight loss per day is setting yourself up for failure. The loss will be unsustainable once you stop "dieting" and aim for weight maintenance. Please reconsider your goals and try for about 1-2 pounds per week. Also incorporate foods that you like into your meal plan or again, weight will start to creep back on once you go back to your normal eating pattern. Change your food and exercise habits for life, not just for a period of time. It is the only way to maintain lost weight.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Weight loss is not linear. Sure you can get a big "jump" at first (like you did), but you need to aim for something more reasonable, like 10 pounds a month. <----this is still HARD.
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    I've done the starvation thing. DON'T do it. Most agree, from what I've read, that you should target 2lbs per week (7000 cal deficit). A little more than that probably won't hurt...but 5-7 times that amount!!!! Probably not healthy.

Take my word for it, I've done it.

In my crazy dieting days, I lost soooo much muscle. I was a lifter before, so I had some mass to lose.
    I also started getting gall bladder and liver problems. That's scary. You don't want to go there.

My metabolism got so messed up. I've gained back about 20-25 lbs trying to stablelize my eating.

I'm back to trying to get the right balance and I'm shooting for a 1000 cal deficit (500 from intake and 500 from exercise) net daily.

You probably need to find a nutritionist and get professional advice.

Again...don't do it. You can end up doing serious damage and that's no exaggeration.
  • ceoverturf - you are absolutely right. 1300 calories is terribly inadequate for a 284 pound man. Oh my goodness. Forgive me for missing this, I just started on this sight today. djones195, you are on a Very Low Calorie Diet for a man of your size. I will reiterate what I said in my second post. This is too restrictive and can lead to binge cycles and weight re-gain.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    LizTiz42 wrote: »
    ceoverturf - you are absolutely right. 1300 calories is terribly inadequate for a 284 pound man. Oh my goodness. Forgive me for missing this, I just started on this sight today. djones195, you are on a Very Low Calorie Diet for a man of your size. I will reiterate what I said in my second post. This is too restrictive and can lead to binge cycles and weight re-gain.

No worries - I just didn't want this thread to get derailed into another "muscle weighs more than fat" debate, when the focus should be on helping OP set better goals and a better plan for achieving those goals. :smile:
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Thank you, superkiki! I actually allow myself soda (I need one tasty thing in my diet or I won't survive lol) but I think the biggest thing for me has been exercise so far. I do between 2 and 4 hours of cardio per day through indoor cycling and I stay away from strength training since muscle weighs more than fat. Are you doing any strength training because that may be the issue on your end. :smile:

Not wanting to build muscle because you think it weighs more is silly. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks, it's a pound. Hit the weights, build some muscle and you'll increase your fat loss progress. A man who weighs 200 pounds and is mostly muscular will burn more calories throughout the day than a man who is 200 pounds and mostly fat.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to all this (started Dec. 29). In my first month, I lost 28.8 pounds through a combination of diet and exercise and I'm hoping to lose a total of 60 pounds by the end of February. I know that may be unrealistic, but I figured I'd rather be disappointed with a high goal by losing 40-50 during this period than set a lower goal and lose that. Anyways, between diet and exercise, I'm supposed to be losing between 0.5 pounds and 1 pound every day (it varies based on my diet) but for the past three days I haven't changed at all. I am usually below the max for 4 of the 6 main things myfitnesspal monitors (calories, sugar, etc...) and I'm consuming 1400-2000 calories per day with 1400-3000 burned per day through indoor cycling. Is there just some massive delay in recognizing weight loss now or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Best,

Dan

This does not sound healthy or realistic to be able to do for an extended amount of time. I would consult your doctor because you could do some serious damage to yourself. If you're only consuming 1400 calories and burning all 1400 of those calories what do you think will happen after doing this for a while?