Low carbs?¿

Options
If I ate 1200 cals a day and no more than 50 carbs will I lose some weight?? Has anyone lost weight on a low carb diet?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You will lose at a caloric deficit (so yes, 1200 calories) and there are many people who do that by eating lower carbs. I've lost my weight eating mostly lower carbs, occasionally high carbs, whatever got me to 1200.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight on 1200 calories if you ate all carbs. Take 1200 calories and mix any food combination you want and you'll lose weight.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lose weight on really low calorie and carb diets, but doing so makes it so much more difficult to maintain your results. It's best to eat as much as you can while losing weight. It'll set you up for so much better long term success. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

A good exercise regime that includes strength training, cardio, and flexibility is great too.

Rock on!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing a pound or so a week eating between 30 and 50 carbs a day but I don't really restrict my calories. I do try to eat healthier foods (a pound of cheese dunked in a vat of ranch dressing could be considered low carb but I don't do it) and a lot of vegetables which helps keep my calories in check but that's about it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a fantastic tool for maintaining a calorie deficit and my personal opinion is it's a lot easier and more sustainable than calorie counting!

However we are all different and some will find it easy and some won't. 1200 cals is low, is that the figure MFP has suggested for healthy weight loss? The main thing is get enough protein and find a carbs / fat split that suits you and you find manageable.
  • colleenbohlen
    Options
    My first question is, are you carb sensitive and is that why you are considering or have chosen low carb? If not, you may just want to try calorie reduction. I eat low carb most days because I am carb sensitive and carbs do inhibit my weight loss because I do not process them for energy like most people do. Instead, my body converts it all to fat and stores it. But if I didn't have that problem, I would rather eat a regular balanced diet. Just my 2cents.
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb / high fat / ketosis type of diet. Roughly a week. Have lost 4 pounds - I am guessing much of that is water so likely only say a pound of that is fat. I am well under 50 carbs a day but roughly 140 grams of fat per day. One thing that I found out only two days ago is that if you eat too much protein it can knock you out of ketosis.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Low carb can be harsh if you're used to eating high carb, I did lose weight on it..but I also lost weight because I was in a calorie deficit.

Low carb caused me to binge, calorie counting instead of carb counting is working much better for me now. Everyone is different, all you can do is try something for a few weeks and see how you go and whether it's maintainable for you.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight on 1200 calories if you ate all carbs. Take 1200 calories and mix any food combination you want and you'll lose weight.

This.
  • jstreetstarr
    Options
    I've only ever lost significant weight on a low carb diet. I lost 50 lbs after I had my daughter on Atkins.
    When I hit age 30 years later (and quit smoking) the weight just started piling on with no change in my exercise or diet. There is still a suspected thyroid issue. But, I wanted to be healthy long term and LOVE carbs so I have tried calorie deficits, clean eating, working out between 5 and sometimes 7 days a week and never been able to lose more than 10 lbs.
    After many trials in the last few years, along with seeing symptoms such as being exhausted after eat, no energy, trouble concentrating and hungry again an hour later, I've come to the conclusion I am carb sensitive, (self diagnosed) much to my dismay.
    I am, against my better wishes, attempting a low carb diet again. I'm not exactly doing Atkins because I find less than 20 carbs near impossible for me. However, I am limiting them below 50 for the first large amount of weight loss and then will attempt to add some healthy carbs back into my diet little by little to see what causes the problem. It is hard to do, especially if you love carbs. If you are a picky eater it is even harder to do so and eat healthy. So, while I wouldn't suggest it to lose a little weight for a short term solution, (you'll gain it all back if you don't do it correctly) I would suggest it if you are carb sensitive like myself. If you aren't, just the deficit and working out should help you lose the weight. Good luck. :smile:
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you're carb sensitive or have insulin resistance low carb may be the way to go. I've had my most success doing a cyclic ketogenic diet. I keep my net carbs under 30g/day and about once every 5-7 days I load up on carbs for a few hours after 5pm. It really helped me with my carb sensitivity. You can do a little research here to start http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html