MFP recommends 1200 calories for me... is this too low?

Options
Hi all, I'm Meg. I'm new to MFP, just got started three days ago. I chose "Sedentary" as my fitness level because I'm still recovering from the flu, but I do plan to be working out regularly again as soon as I feel better. Are 1200 calories too few? Will I go into starvation mode? I've also cut back on the carbs, limiting myself to 100 grams except on workout days. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Did they recommend 1200 calories or did you set your weekly loss to high? How much weight do you have to lose? How tall are you? Weight. We obviously need more info...
  • kristen6350
    Options
    You say your husband is a certified fitness trainer in your profile - what does he recommend? I'd say it's too low - because you only have 25lbs to lose, so you should be set to 1lb a week at the most. More than likely you are set for 2 or 1.5lbs/week. It really depends on your height. If you are 5'3 and below, maybe not. If you are 5'3 - 5'7, maybe. If you are taller, yes.
  • hachikomeggy
    hachikomeggy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I set my weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. I'm 5"3, and 140 lbs. Also I have a huge belly and stick arms and legs. My husband thinks I'm insane and keeps forcing me to eat more, but I've been working out regularly for three years without dieting and didn't lose a single pound. Also, thanks for the quick responses!
  • hachikomeggy
    Options
    I feel okay on 1200 calories, though! It's just that I read a previous post wherein the poster was eating 1100 calories a day and people were telling her that's not enough, so I got a little worried.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It depends on your size and how much weight you have to lose. You could also be setting your weekly weight loss goal too aggressively if it's giving you such a low number and you feel it should be higher for your current mass.

"Starvation mode" as it is referred to around here is a myth. True starvation mode is a completely normal phenomenon that occurs when a person eats too few grams of carbohydrates every day and the body switches from burning glycogen to burning fat for energy. That ability is something every person has; it's a survival mechanism for when food is scarce. It's the principal of low carb diets like Atkins. It doesn't lower your metabolism in itself; that happens over time if too few total calories are being consumed on a continual basis.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You're not a tall male, so it may be right for you. No worries about the mythical starvation mode -- you can find any number of threads here on MFP to calm your fears about that.

If you're not hungry, stick with it. If you find yourself obsessing about food (like I did on 1200 calories -- I'm 5'9"), switch it up to 1400 or so and see how it goes. Any calorie deficit will lead to weight loss.
  • kristen6350
    Options
    I'm not a professional, so my advice is really what I'd do. And I'm 5'11, so if I eat 1200 calories I feel like killing people. So take this with a grain of salt.

I'd set your calories to 1250/daily. Eat between 1200 & 1250 for 3 weeks. See how you feel. See if the scale is going down. After 3 weeks, evaluate. Are you really hungry? Are you really tired?

Keep your protein high and on workout days keep your carbs around 150.

If you work out, log the calories burned and eat 1/2 of them back. So say you burned 300 calories on the elliptical, eat 1200 + 150 for a total of 1350.

If you are losing very fast - more than 2lbs/week - up your calories by 100 calories for 3 more weeks and see how things go.

This isn't a defined science for anyone - it's trail and error. And the reason I say to try things for 3 weeks is, because you are woman your weight will fluctuate depending on hormone levels. It might take 3 weeks for you to see a trend.

Good luck - you can do this!
  • hachikomeggy
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm doing okay so far on 1200, so I'll give it a try for a few weeks. Also, such a relief to find out that starvation mode thing is a myth. :smiley:
  • bessdaddyyyyy
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Meg. I'm new to MFP, just got started three days ago. I chose "Sedentary" as my fitness level because I'm still recovering from the flu, but I do plan to be working out regularly again as soon as I feel better. Are 1200 calories too few? Will I go into starvation mode? I've also cut back on the carbs, limiting myself to 100 grams except on workout days. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• bessdaddyyyyy
    Options
    I think it's too low if u r exercising on a daily !!!
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Will I go into starvation mode?
    No. Read this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find I'm just fine on 1200 cal and I'm a sedentary asian shorty too (5'1). In fact, I'm regularly under between 100-200 (except on cheat day when I go over 500-700). MFP gives you "credit" for workouts so unless you have a job that puts you on your feet, leave it on "sedentary."

Dunno about the carbs.
  • ori519
    ori519 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine says 1200 as well! Having some trouble adjusting to it after a 3 month hiatus from working out and watching what I eat, but it seems doable! Also MFP tells you that you should eat back calories that you burn working out (though I really am not sure how I feel about that).
  • hachikomeggy
    Options
    nentecular wrote: »
    Hi nentecular, thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that the reason I was worried about "starvation mode" is, a few years back, I ate under 500 calories for three months and lost a lot of weight (depressed, my then-fiance dumped me.) It all came back and then some about a year later, and I've had trouble losing weight since then. I've been gaining, actually. I've been working out 3 to 4x a week for three years, but here I am.
  • hachikomeggy
    Options
    Note that I'm just guestimating the amount of calories I ate during that time (dark days) but my diet back then consisted of soup, coffee, and alcohol.
    purell wrote: »
    Also MFP tells you that you should eat back calories that you burn working out (though I really am not sure how I feel about that).

I'll probably take kristen6350 says and eat half of the calories I've burned. 1200 seems doable for me too, and I hope it stays that way when I start working out again :wink:

• chrij23
    Options
    i started in feb 1st, my start weight was 263.2 pounds im 5 ft 11 and mfp set me a 1750 calories target, im also sedentary ive been working out and drinking alot of water i used to eat like 3000 calories, but im doin fine so far. i have more energy and the app keeps me motivated

• hachikomeggy
    Options

Thanks to everyone who responded by the way. I appreciate the insights :D Chrij23, that's super inspiring! MFP really is a lot of help, keeps me accountable
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    nentecular wrote: »

I love that article!
  • kcuevas10
    kcuevas10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 21 day fix program. I calculated your calories based on weight and it said 1190, but to raise it to 1200 as minimum. the bracket you'd fall under is 1,200-1,499 a day.
  • awesomedjmcvey
    awesomedjmcvey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would say see your doctor. I was doing 1,500 when I started and then went to the doc and was blasted for being too low. He put me up to 2,500 and I was losing more weight than eating less. I go to the doc once a month and not I am down to 1,900 cals a day. I like MFP but the cal recommendations are wrong..... See your doctor who specializes in nutrition.