1200 Calories

Options
Does anyone else have a problem staying within this range? I even cut out wine! I am finding that I go over a couple of hundred calories (especially the past couple of nights). Just wondering...

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on getting your protein numbers instead of carbs. You'll find that you will be a lot less hungry and then will be able to make the 1200 calorie goal without too much issue.

When I started out, I had this goal to get a 2lb/week loss. Now that I'm close to goal, I am at a calorie goal of 1600 (weight loss rate of 0.25lb/week). It was hard at first until I started upping my proteins to replace my carbs. The workouts also increased the calories for me allotted so that helped out loads.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Why are you focusing on 1200 calories?
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories and have no problems with going over that. I am very stingy with my calories. I'll have a half slice of cheese instead of a whole one. I eat egg whites and nonfat yogurt. I eat lean meats/fish. I never drink my calories. I eat a high protein diet with moderate fat. Carbs are usually only 30% of my diet. It's doable but you have to be diligent about it. I'm not suffering at all.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Most days I do 300 cals of exercise so eat 1,500 instead. One day a week I do 600 cals so get 1,800 and pizza for dinner. Keeps me going. :)

Two days a week I don't exercise and do find 1,200 tough. For me it means no snacks at all. I have my usual diet of cereal for breakfast, a sandwich or soup and bread for lunch, and a healthy dinner (various). My meals come to about 1,200 so the 1,200 days mean no between-meal snacks or drinks other than water...
  • EWROBERTS25
    EWROBERTS25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if 1200 is healthy for everyone, especially tall people. I am no nutritionist. However, I've been able to maintain 1200 really easily by spiralizing my vegetables for lunch and dinner. I've had spiralized pasta made of zucchini, broccoli, daikon radish, beets, sweet potato... The list goes on. I'm stuffed and usually have 300 calories left before the end of the day for a fun snack.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable, you just need to plan carefully. It takes a while to get used to. It helps a lot to make sure that you aren't only staying within your calories, but you are also meeting your nutritional requirements (that will keep you feeling more full.) That might mean a big change in what you normally eat.

It's a learning curve for sure.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you that 1200 calories is too low. In January, I had a goal of losing 10 pounds. I lost 13.5... now I'm not saying that this is typical. However, my caloric goal the first week was 1300 calories (I needed a jump start). Then I upped it to 1450 for 1.5-2 weeks. The last week, I went back down to 1300, but allowed myself to eat back my exercise calories. There were days that I wasn't hungry enough to eat all of my calories, so I didn't.

If you are active, don't be afraid to eat more. My runner friends tell me that's the best part about running is that they actually get to eat!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The standard 1200 sucked for me, and wasn't sustainable. Like you have noticed, it generally leaves no wiggle room - no wine, no desserts, feeling guilty if you go out to dinner, holidays, vacations, etc. Ditch a glass of wine with dinner forever? No birthday cake ever? No thanks!

Make sure you're eating back exercise cals (you'll still be in a deficit), or even better, reevaluate your settings. If you have less than 50lbs or so to lose, make sure your goal is no more than to lose 1 lb a week, or even half a pound. You'll get a higher calorie goal that is far easier to stick to, and you'll still lose - yeah, maybe a bit more slowly, but if it sticks isn't that better? Isn't the goal to keep it off? Weight loss isn't linear anyway - you may lose 2lbs some weeks, only 1/2 lb the next, but as long as you're making steady progress, it's all good.

I had a 1200 calorie goal when I started. Upped it to 1400, then 1500, then 1600 - finally after stopping and restarting several times over, I did some more research and found that I do much better eating in between my BMR and my TDEE - so for the past three years+ my daily goal has been 2000 calories a day - I've reached goal weight and maintained the loss. I can still have a glass of wine with dinner if I want to, enjoy pizza and beer once in awhile, burgers, desserts, etc - it fits in my goals and my lifestyle, and I'm still keeping the weight off.

Good luck!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I lost all the weight I needed to on 1200 calories (and now maintain on about 1600), which wasn't even especially aggressive (only about a pound a week with a bit of exercise.)

The trick to it, for me, was eliminating anything that wasn't fairly nutritionally dense. Lots of protein, enough fat, and as for carbs, pretty much just from vegetables and fruit (which are not calorie-dense but have lots of necessary micronutrients.) If I used 300 calories on a cookie I was inevitably starving later, but when I stuck to meat and vegetables with a decent proportion of fat, I was energetic and not hungry. It meant very little alcohol, very little starchy stuff, and almost nothing with added sugar, but it was effective for weight loss and I felt good. If you're the kind of person who craves chocolate or snacks, you might need to have a slightly higher goal (and slower weight loss or more exercise) in order to fit that into your day without being hungry, though, because 1200 calories is pretty tight and doesn't leave much room for stuff that just tastes good but isn't going to give you lasting energy or lots of vitamins and minerals.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I second Peleroja.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. Y'all Rock!
  • isafrenchy
    Options
    The first week was very hard and I was starving. The second week I started exercising and it was easier. I think weight loss is very difficult and you will have to suffer until you reach your goal. After that it's maintenance and you can eat more. The sugar cravings were very strong the first week. The second was easier but I didn't stop sugar. I reduced my intake. Eating a small portion of my favorite candy for me kept me happy. Good luck!!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    I second Peleroja.

I second jvt63! lol
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do 1,200. It's too low to be sustainable for me and I'd rebel. I need to eat like a human and socialize. Plus seeing as this is long term and not a quick fix I won't be giving up my wine :) I stick to 1,450 and eat back my fitbit calories. Down 8.5 in January
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Check if 1200 calories is really the right goal for you. What are your stats (height/weight/age/activity level?) How much weight are you trying to lose? It's very possible that 1200 is too low for you.

Step 2: If you're 100% sure that 1200 calories is right for you (because you're small/light/short), then aim to have more lean protein and veggies, fewer empty carbs, and play with your days like jigsaw puzzles until you get the calories to fit. Experiment with fewer carbs and more healthy fats to feel fuller. And drink lots of water.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I find even 1300 to be nearly impossible. I bumped my goal up to 1500 and then I don't worry about exercise calories. It's funny what a difference just 200 calories makes.
  • Jinxy23
    Jinxy23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me to lose a lbs a week due to working an office job, i would be on 1200 calories a day. However i just reduced the amount i wanted to loose, so i can still enjoy my food but shift that weight. (I'm currently 147 and 5ft 4in)
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi, have a 32 day streak on MFP and during that time I have typically stayed between 1200 and 1400 calories. 1200 is usually not enough for me. I am still trying to figure out how to spread out my food so I am not hungry.
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    GoPerfectHealth, I agree with you. I think that I may aim for the 1400 range. It seems more practical for me. I am 5'9 and want to lose 2 lbs/wk. 1250 is what MFP is allowing me. I am cutting my exercise credits in half (I know-that topic seems like a permanent discussion on the threads). I may go back and aim for 1.5 pounds per week and see what it will allow me.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think if you're 5'9" you can eat a lot more. You can also adjust your goals to a lb a week which will be more sustainable and a bit easier. Also, MFP recommendations are not the be all end all. You can definitely eat and track and make determinations based on the results.