Pink salt vs "iodized" salt?

I just learned this:

Common table salt, or sodium chloride, is recognized as a toxin by the body - a cellular poison - and the body wants to get rid of it as fast as possible. This places an unnecessary strain on the body's elimination organs. Sodium chloride also dehydrates the body, causing cell death. Sodium chloride also causes cellulite and what cannot be excreted gets converted into uric acid and deposited throughout the body, leading to arthritis, gout and kidney and gallstones.

The point was to choose Himalayan rock salt or a good quality sea salt (the more grey this looks the better, as this denotes a natural drying process and lack of refining).

I had no idea. IS NOTHING SAFE?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Salt is required for normal body functioning. Both sodium and chloride are essential to cellular function. Not enough salt and your brain will swell, killing you.

Himalayan rock salt and sea salt are still sodium chloride.

I don't know where you "learned" this, but you need to unlearn it.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    HAH! Yeah, I figured as much.

Facebook "share" from a friend.

Okay, so what else do I need to fire back a good debunking?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Oh woot, Google is my friend.

Also, apparently typically contains uranium. Not much, but still...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I like the flavor of the big kosher salt flakes. Little bursts of salty yum on my tongue, yes, please!

What gets me is that most of my Facebook acquaintances who rattle on about the pink salt are also big eco warrior types. Their frickin my-little-pony Nepalese salt has a bigger carbon footprint than my SUV, so they need to STFU.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Man, I love the derp found on Facebook.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Salt is salt. Some has a little "dirt" in it that makes it look gray or pink. Some has all the "dirt" removed. People who sell colorful salt will tell you the "dirt" is full of trace minerals that will do magical things for your health. The traces are so small that they make no biological impact on our bodies unless you eat pounds of the stuff and at that point the salt would have killed you anyway. That said, I use pink salt because it's cute and trendy but I don't lose my head about the normal iodized stuff if someone puts it on my food.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Well I didn't know my salt was trying to kill me - but I got a grinder of the pink Himalayan salt at costco and I like it so much better than regular salt. Maybe its the bigger chunks with the grinder and the fact it is cute...
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Found some bacon salt once.......ohhhhh yes please!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Well I didn't know my salt was trying to kill me - but I got a grinder of the pink Himalayan salt at costco and I like it so much better than regular salt. Maybe its the bigger chunks with the grinder and the fact it is cute...

THIS is a good reason to use the pink stuff, haha.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    dbmata wrote: »

Yep.
    I prefer kosher salt, that one is still safe, right? ;)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I like the flavor of the big kosher salt flakes. Little bursts of salty yum on my tongue, yes, please!

What gets me is that most of my Facebook acquaintances who rattle on about the pink salt are also big eco warrior types. Their frickin my-little-pony Nepalese salt has a bigger carbon footprint than my SUV, so they need to STFU.

Oh that made me laugh... there are quite a few eco warriors on my FB page too. Afraid of absolutely everything. Always ready to buy into the latest fad.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited February 2015
    I was using kosher or sea salt for a long time, then went back to using iodized salt because it has the iodine in it that helps keep my thyroid working properly. ... Now I save the kosher stuff for canning and cooking and sprinkle on the iodized stuff. The sea salt is nice for it's larger flakes and is used for sprinkling on top of veggies that are dressed in oil.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don't like regular table salt I only use kosher salt. I'm a salt snob lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Yep.
    I prefer kosher salt, that one is still safe, right? ;)

Only if jewish, it burns the rest of us from the inside out.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    The biggest difference is the price.

I don't buy table salt (it's the same thing, it's just creepy to me that it's so spherical). I use sea salt, I've no idea how grey it is?! Don't kid yourself that the pink stuff is healthier, it's the same and you NEED salt anyway.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Salt is required for normal body functioning. Both sodium and chloride are essential to cellular function. Not enough salt and your brain will swell, killing you.

Himalayan rock salt and sea salt are still sodium chloride.

I don't know where you "learned" this, but you need to unlearn it.

Well done and thank you!!! (I'm a physiology prof)

The issue is that many humans in developed nations consume too much sodium, which can cause serious problems. This is a concern in processed foods.