C25K Success Stories Please?

Options
Hi there

I'm considering the C25K - I am really unfit and overweight but think this might be achievable if I take it at my own pace.

I was wondering if anyone had any c25k weight loss result pictures? how much weight did you loose doing the 9 week programme? I would love to hear your stories just to keep me motivated and for anyone else looking to do the same.

Thank you!

Holly xx

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The best part for me wasn't the weight loss. It was accomplishing something I never thought I could.

When I first started c25k, a few years ago, I didn't even care if I lost weight. I didn't think I would, because every past attempt at weight loss either failed or left me feeling like poop. I just wanted to be fit enough to run a 5k. To be honest, if I was just doing it for weight loss, I would have quit. But going from not being able to even run 2 minutes straight, then running a mile straight a few weeks later... that felt AMAZING. Then running two miles straight, then three, then being able to keep up with my very fit brother and niece in races... that made it all worth it.

The weight loss during that time was maybe 10 pounds. The confidence I got from becoming a runner kept me motivated to lose 35 pounds.

(Be sure to add some strength training, too. It does a body good.)
  • mirandabaily82
    Options
    Hey I'm doing the c25k and I've lost 4lbs I feel so much better for it :)
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    IMO, the magic of the C25k program isn't a dramatic body change at the end. It's getting your body to go from a 'non-runner' to a 'runner.' By the end of of the program you should be able to (fairly) easily run 30 minutes at a time. Once you have that base built, you'll find it's easier to add extra time and that you'll run faster as your body logs more miles.

Add a little strength training and the right diet and you'll start losing weight much faster.

Warning though, it can become addictive. Good luck! There is a lot of support on here from people who were in your shoes not that long ago....
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice everyone!

The MFP forums are so supportive and whenever I need you guys you're always there - I hope that as my fitness improves and I see more weight loss that I will be able to help others out too :)

Thanks again!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what I lost through C25K, although clearly that's more about achieving a deficit rather than the running per se. Each session will burn somewhere between 200 and 300 calories, so not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things.

I've lost about 4 stone over about 18 months of consciously trying to lose weight, but to answer the specific question, I finished C25K, then started working up to my current plan; marathon training.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i lost about a stone when i did the c25k but that was with watching what i ate and some swimming too

the best thing about c25k for me was having a new achievement every week, seeing myself improve really kept me motivated to not let my diet slip, i didn't beat myself up if the scales didn't move because i knew i'd run for longer than ever before
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started MFP and C25K at the same time with 80 pounds to lose. My first week was AWFUL (couldn't run even the 60 second intervals) but I kept at it. My first 5k race happened to be at the 100 day mark of this journey. I ran/walked the 5k in just under 40 minutes and lost about 25 pounds during the 100 days. Agree that most of that weight was because of calorie deficit, but for the deficit was definitely increased because of the C25K program.

You can TOTALLY do this! Add me to your friends list if you like. I'm on here a lot and love to encourage :)
  • justbritne
    justbritne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't do it for weight loss, but it did turn me from a walker to a runner! I finished the program, ran a couple 5ks, and now I'm working on getting to a sub-30min 5k. Good luck!
  • theSophiemeister
    Options
    I was already off the couch, but I started C210k in January to help prep for my first 10k (I've done several 5k races already). I kinda wish I had done C25k several years ago - it would have made those 5k's easier, and got me more interested in running sooner!
    -
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    There is a Couch to 5K group. Click on the groups tab and look for C25K. Lots of info on those threads and a daily check in.
  • kazman72
    kazman72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did C25K In July/Aug of last year. Turned me into a runner. I have yet to actually run a race, but plan on it in the spring. I struggled with the 60 seconds at first and now my runs are 5 to 8 miles and I have run a sub 30 minute 5k. I was at 20+ miles per week and can't wait for the weather to fully cooperate so I can get back outside. I do run a track inside but it is a lot more difficult for me mentally. I'm down 35lbs since I started. I get a monster high from running.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Tons of success stories here; try a search!

Mine in a nutshell: started C25K in October, ran my first 5K at the end of November (no walking!), ran another 5K mid-December shaving three minutes off my initial time, then ran a 15K (that's 9.3 miles!) in early January. Now, I'm training for a half-marathon at the end of March. I, too, struggled with running for 30 seconds at a time when I began. Now, my long runs are in the 8-9 mile range.

As others have said, it's not about weight loss, but I am down 10 pounds from the time I started running in October... and several inches/sizes. You might find that you're weight loss slows some when you start running as your body retains water to help with muscle repair.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I started C25K around September 2013 because I had started cycling and was told that I needed to add some impact exercise for bone strength and because a lot of my friends were runners and I was envious. lol Every day felt difficult, but I always felt accomplished at the end. I finished it, decided I enjoyed running, and moved on to C210K, hated that, and just decided to start training for a half marathon. I enjoy running in the mornings 3X per week and it is a regular part of my lifestyle.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    to answer the specific question, I finished C25K, then started working up to my current plan; marathon training.

Just realised how that could be misconstrued:

C25K
    Then to 10K
    Then to half marathon
    Now four weeks into a 16 week marathon plan

C25K will get you running for 30 minutes three times per week, and that's enough for general health. I'd personally say that getting to a comfortable 10K run is where most benefit lies for most people. Beyond there it's simple masochism and bloody mindedness.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at the end of August 2014. It was also the time I started tracking calories here on MFP. My goal was to lose about 1 lb/week and, almost like magic, that's what happened. But I don't think I could have lost the weight without tracking calories. I also don't think I could have kept my intake at or under my caloric goal without the exercises — 43 years old at right under 5'3", my caloric allowance was pathetic :)

Just like what many others have said, the most joy came from seeing myself progress — from not being able to run more than a minute, to running 5k. It feels great after each run. My body also don't feel like a drag as it used to. I ran my first race last Thanksgiving and we spent the rest of the day at seaworld. My legs weren't sore like it used to after a day at a theme park!

My husband also started c25k a few weeks ago and we are registering to run together with our 2 boys in March.

Btw, my profile picture was taken appr. before and after c25k. About 4 inches lost at my waist, still work-in-progress... Now added body weight exercises to my weekly routine. Hope to see more transformation soon :smile:
  • ddache
    ddache Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started c25k last week. Losing weight did not even crossed my mind. :) I do T25 to lose weight.
    I just want to get fit and get ready for a 5k race in May.
    I was training for a 5k 2 years ago and it was hard. I worked out 5 days a week but running was hard. Now, after a round of T25 I cant wait for the voice to say start running. Im still beat at the end but I enjoying a lot.
    You can do it! Add me as a friend if you want, would love to share and hear about your progress.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Did the program and then ran a 5k, the Color Run. The end of the program was harder than the actual 5k. I did the program on treadmill.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program and lost an additional 50 pounds on top of the 50 I had already lost. From that first 5k I found a passion for running and in 6 weeks I'll run my fourth marathon and I'm doing it in Rome...yes that Rome :D Who knew this little program could have such a huge affect on my life. Keep working at it and see how it changes your life :)
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many of these posts. I did the C25K last year, struggled with the first week, but stubbornness and seeing myself progress really helped keep me going. I then carried on to do a 10k and now training for a half marathon. For me it wasn't really about the weight loss, but about finding an exercise routine that work and that I could stick to.

It cannot be said enough but take it slow, and repeat weeks as needed, but definitely give it a go!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying I hate running and I don't run any longer. I did c25k a few years back, and lost weight in the process. I went from someone who had never even successfully ran a mile as a kid in gym class to being close to running the full 5k. I always had to take 1-2 30 sec walk breaks but did really well otherwise. It really does work, but don't expect to automatically come out of it loving running. :)