Heart Rate Monitor - Calories

Hi all,
I've gone through several Timex heart rate monitors over the years and they've sadly gotten progressively worse. I just recently tried to give another one a whirl, and it was not giving me accurate readings as usual.
It's time to move on to another brand.

Does anyone have a really good one that they recommend? I really only use it to monitor my heart rate for low intensity cardio, and high intensity training and then also to track calories :)

Thank you!!!

Replies

• TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    I have had two Polar Heart Rate monitors that I have loved. I still use one every day. They sync with the machines at the gym
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Anything by Polar is going to be worth it. They have some basic models that just track heart rate and calories. I think mine is the FT7.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 works great, as Tina stated it automatically syncs with the gym equipment. I use a fitbit for everyday tracking.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I like my Garmin HRM. It works with my vivofit, generally syncs easily and with the small chest band fits me comfortably. I frequently forget I have it on..
  • 9TMare
    9TMare Posts: 24
    Polar FT7 is awesome, I've had mine for 4 years and it has never failed me.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Ditto on the Polar brand. I'm going on two years with mine, and I love it.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    I bought on Amazon a used Polar H7 that I can sync to my phone. The Polar app sucks but the H7 worked great with Map My Fitness, Endonomo, and other 3rd Party Apps. I am returning it only because the battery door is warped and hard to open because of being used.

I just ordered a new Wahoo Trackr X ($99) because I can workout without your phone and it will log everything and I can sync up later. I want to start swimming and I've heard that the water blocks the bluetooth signal. If it weren't for swimming I would have gotten a new Polar H7 ($50-60) again.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I prefer the FT40 over the FT7. It allows you to set your maximum HR and VO2MAX for better accuracy.

Just realize there will be limitations in the accuracy of the calorie counts, even when used for steady state cardio.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1431868/limitations-of-hrm-calorie-counts-a-real-life-data-point
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Like many above, I like my FT7. I found it to be super easy to use (I had a Timex Ironman prior). I got the polar bluetooth strap so it works with mapmyride, endomondo, etc. The numbers are always the same, but I like a range and take the average. 60 lbs down! Can't be that far off.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Timex are know for over estimating calorie burns... Garmin and Polar are much better. I would suggest a higher end model that allows you to enter V02Max and your own Max HR for better results.

That said, HRM's are really only accurate for steady state cardio when HR is elevated to a certain bpm.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    I love my Polar FT7, I use it in combination with the Polar Loop and it syncs with my phone.
  • Lots of recommendation for the Polar FT7 :) off to Amazon to find it! Thanks everyone!
  • Does the Polar have a chest strap? Can't tell on amazon....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Does the Polar have a chest strap? Can't tell on amazon....

Yes it does. I would suggest the FT40 though, more options and more accurate
  • erickirb wrote: »
    Does the Polar have a chest strap? Can't tell on amazon....

Yes it does. I would suggest the FT40 though, more options and more accurate

Ah, I will look that one up as well then. Thank you for the tip!
  • smv77
    smv77 Posts: 7 Member
    I do not see a FT40 by Polar
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    smv77 wrote: »
    I do not see a FT40 by Polar

I looks like they've discontinued that model. The FT60 is the next closest.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone have a really good one that they recommend? I really only use it to monitor my heart rate for low intensity cardio, and high intensity training and then also to track calories :)

If you just want to track heart rate for training purposes, that's cool, but FYI that HRMs are going to significantly over-estimate burns for both types of activities.

Personally I like Polar and Garmin.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I use a Polar FT7. Be sure to pause it when you are switching activities, and shut it off as soon as you are done working out! Otherwise your burns will be wrong or very wrong depending on how long you let it run for. You can not use it to measure any wishful 'after-burn calories'. Definitely read the links posted by Enginerd.
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    I myself have a polar f7 watch, and whilst it has been a good purchase, it has also brought many frustrations with it. Mid way through workouts it often loses my heartbeat and therefore doesn't give accurate results. This is despite washing the strap regularly and it being a snug fit around my chest.