Living with junk food!

Options
I have to live with junk food, because for now I am living with people who do NOT eat healthy. I can't believe how much temptation this is! How do I become someone who stays away from the magic fridge, the magic cupboard, the magic freezer... day after day?? If junk food is available, I usually just have one serving... one cookie... one bowl of ice cream... and then I'm okay and I can resist the rest. But obviously, this solution is not going to work in this living situation. All I can think about is all the junk food that is available! I am going crazy! I just had a delicious healthy meal and now all I can think about are cookies, ice cream, candy bars, chocolate chips... I can't believe how many goodies there are here! I have a habit of grazing on goodies... and well it looks like this habit HAS to change. Starting right now. Tips and tricks??

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, go bike. .. I live with junk food, I refuse to edit it out of my life, I enjoy it, so why remove it? I bought candy last week, first day itw as hard, as I was stressed, but i pretty much ignored it the rest of the week, just ate three pieces, and that'll be it. . goign to go for a walk, that always seems to kill any snackies :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I have one, I have to eat them till they're gone. I used to be able to have just one. But now as I'm getting down to my goal weight, it's easier for me to make excuses- like I'll burn it all off- which is usually not true.

Junk food is crap. Try not to serve it?
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself some alternatives that are better for you. Ice Cream like Skinny Cow brand, or Sherbert. Something that when you really have to give in, won't be to terrible for you. But I've found that the more determined I am to lose the weight, the less I care about those kinds of snacks. I have lots in my house with small children and a snack food adict husband. So you can do it!
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    when I go to visit my parents I have this problem, they are grazers big time and while the snacks arent thaaaaat bad, think frozen yogurt, pita chips, guacamole, cheese and crackers, it is still hard to keep from just one more handful of chips when sitting around talking while I am staying with them. I take fiber supplements inbetween meals to make myself not want to eat anything, when I feel very full I dont eat snacks, and fiber is good for you too, getting plenty of it slows the absorbsion of sugars and starches in digestion too.
  • Deafmom130
    Deafmom130 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with jrognsvoog, she is right. I have done the same. Use alternatives healthy sweets. You could also try healthy sweets such as a fruit. Drink alot of water, helps me not to eat so much or have craving.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    In your situation the best thing you can do if find healthier alternatives, and still limit them. I found that a cup of greek yogurt with kiwi or mango, satisfies my sweet cravings.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I don't believe in getting rid of any food that I crave. I will keep cookies and candy and such in my house. I just limit the portions that I eat now. If I have a box of cookies, I will eat one. If I have candy, I will eat a small amount.

I feel that if you completely get rid of a food from your life, then you will always crave it, eat too much of it when you finally have it, or go overboard with other things.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Funny thing, I was looking at the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, and they're only around 30-50 calories less than the real deal. I couldn't believe it.
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I live with my bf and my two brothers who are all junk food-aholics. I got them to keep their junk in one particular cupboard and I make a point of never looking in there, especially when i'm in snacking mode. That way I don't see what they've brought into the house lol and it seemed to help. Because if i get a taste of one or two chips or candies or even Know they're sitting somewhere not being eaten, it's really hard for me to not eat the rest.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I Live with my husband and child and we have JUNK in my house TONS of JUNK. I have learned to leave it be even if it is looking at me. I make sure fruits are sitting on the table and are closer to me than the junk I have also made my life easier by cutting up and pre portioning veggies so that it is all ready for me to grab and go. I also try and keep healthier treats for me, popchips, crackers and popcorn are waiting for me.

I also log my treats BEFORE I eat them, that way I can see if it is really worth it. I log then drink some water and make up my mind and then if I have decided sure I shall have some I go and portion it out and leave it next to me while I do something, If I snack on it then I already have it written down BUT IF I DONT eat it then I can return it to its container and erase it from my diary.

If I am bored I will attempt to munch so keeping myself busy is the key.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    I buy the groceries in my house. I cant deny my kids the things their friends have or they go to their homes to get them. I do my best to buy them the low sugar/fat versions of some of their snacks and almost always end up buying them sugary cereals. I buy myself fresh fruit and whole grains. I buy myself water and them juice boxes/koolaide. There are times I catch them in my snacks and do get onto them about it....for the most part though if I notice something junk food related calling to me I go for my water bottle, read a book or OCCASIONALLY have a snack size peice of plain chocolate. It's out of the house that I have the problems...especially at resturants where they bring bread to the table....I LOVE my bread grrrrr.