non-meat high protein breakfast ideas?

Options
gbers
gbers Posts: 52 Member
anyone have a suggestion for a non-meat high protein breakfast? i am looking for some alternatives that are quick, tasty, but filling.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Add protein powder to your oatmeal after you cook it.
  • pyrower
    pyrower Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Smoothie with chia seeds, greek yogurt, fruit of choice, milk, water and protein powder if needed. I get more than 30g of protein out of my morning smoothie with only 10g coming from 1/2 a scoop of chocolate casein protein. Takes 5min to make. Smoothie tip - rinse your blender and toss it in the fridge, only waste time fully washing it once a week.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eggs, especially the whites. Boiled, scrambled, poached... I love omelettes too, and if you add cheese it brings the protein up some more.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I do this.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Fage unflavoured greek yogurt. I have a half serving with a couple drops of stevia and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

-T.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eggs and beans with cheese salsa in a high protein tortilla. Had that 2 days ago actually... With a tortilla factory low carb tortilla and refried beans. 20g+ of protein.

There is always cheese and veggies omelettes, obviously. Or just a protein shake.
  • miratime
    miratime Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I premake a batch of protein pancakes on the weekend and freeze them, then pull out a serving to thaw the night before and reheat at work. The last batch I made had about 21 pancakes (1/4 cup batter per pancake) and each pancake was around 45 calories. I typically eat 3 for breakfast and they have 2g fat, 11g carbs, and 18g protein in a serving of 3 (this will vary based on your ingredients, of course!). Yummy!

Here's what's in my base recipe:

2 cups egg whites (I whip these a bit for a better texture/lift)
    1 cup greek yogurt (I use plain/traditional because it has a little fat)
    1 cup wheat bran (I pulverize this in the blender until it's like flour)
    2 scoops protein powder
    Water as needed - to thin out the mixture to a normal "pancake batter" consistency.

I also add various flavors to mix it up. So far I've been using vanilla protein powder with a few shakes of cinnamon but next time I might do chocolate powder and some PB2 or instant coffee crystals. You could also add frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas)... I don't see myself getting bored experimenting with these anytime soon!
  • shepdog_99
    shepdog_99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the protein pancakes idea! I will give that a try. I usually go with eggs or Greek yogurt with a small mix of granola.
  • michelleinpa
    michelleinpa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Quinoa breakfast bowl made with a cup of almond milk + add in whatever you like...
  • Unice95
    Unice95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hummus has been good to me for breakfast. I usually eat it with a serving of multi-grain crackers or nutthins. I have also added protein powder to my oatmeal.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Quinoa breakfast bowl made with a cup of almond milk + add in whatever you like...

I second quinoa. Just had some this AM with two hard boiled eggs. Mmm.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If protein pancakes appeal to you, try these, a proven family favourite.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704988/

Have it with greek yogurt and fruit for a bigger protein hit.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I do this.

Imo better in greek yogurt, but probably because there's not enough oatmeal to mix with the PP when I use a full scoop.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    miratime wrote: »
    I premake a batch of protein pancakes on the weekend and freeze them, then pull out a serving to thaw the night before and reheat at work. The last batch I made had about 21 pancakes (1/4 cup batter per pancake) and each pancake was around 45 calories. I typically eat 3 for breakfast and they have 2g fat, 11g carbs, and 18g protein in a serving of 3 (this will vary based on your ingredients, of course!). Yummy!

2 scoops protein powder
    Water as needed - to thin out the mixture to a normal "pancake batter" consistency.

I also add various flavors to mix it up. So far I've been using vanilla protein powder with a few shakes of cinnamon but next time I might do chocolate powder and some PB2 or instant coffee crystals. You could also add frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas)... I don't see myself getting bored experimenting with these anytime soon!

That's not a lot of protein for 3 pancakes imo :/ Here's my recipe for the last time I made protein pancakes (took out the blueberries since I don't usually add 2 fruit in there):

- Water as needed
    - 30g large flake oats (ground)
    - scoop PP
    - 1 egg white (~32g)
    - 1 banana (113g for the last time I made it)
    - optional: greek yogurt as desired.

Macros without yogurt:
    2g fat, 45g carbs, 35g protein. ~330 cals

If I make it with yogurt (~100g):
    ~400 cals, 5g fat, 48g carbs, 45g protein.

135cals for breakfast is kind of depressing as frack, though. I'm guessing your pancakes are tiny.

• HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat the meat leftover from dinner as breakfast. Protein bar or shake.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One serving of 2% Fage Plain Greek Yogurt, mixed with one serving of PB2 with chocolate. 27 grams of protein and only 215 calories!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    miratime wrote: »

2 scoops protein powder

Thanks for sharing this!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with flax seed (Had some this morning with a bagel), cottage cheese, egg whites with cheese, or a protein shake can get you a good amount.

I buy these pre-made protein shakes from premier protein. You can get 30g of protein for 160 calories. I always have one post workout.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Eggs, eggs whites, cheese, greek yogurt, & thomas now makes an english muffin fortified with extra protein - my husband loves them!

IN fact - you could make a little egg white and cheese homemade McMuffin of sorts (minus the canadian bacon) and have a flavored greek yogurt on the side. That's what I'd do if I didn't eat meat.

That would be 35 grams of protein by my calculations (according to the eggs whites, cheese, and greek yogurt I use typically) and 340 calories. Sounds mighty fine to me!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I love chia pudding made with light coconut milk (super cheap at Trader Joe's) with fruit on top. I make it ahead of time and put it in individual containers for the week. If you like tapioca pudding (LOVE!!!), you will enjoy it. If you don't, then probably not. There are lots of chia pudding recipes on Pinterest.