morning workouts

Options
I generally love the way I feel in the morning after a good run, but in order to do so I have to get up at 4:15am to get 30 minutes in before time to get ready for work. It is hard to stay on a schedule getting up that early because I get so tired. I would love to go back after work a couple of days a week for weights, but I am usually too tired. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to force yourself to go? When do you work out?

Replies

• kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I could never workout in the mornings... ever! I usually fall asleep right after my workouts so I tend to do them at night, maybe you could see how you feel working out at night instead and sleep in in the morning
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 am and go to the gym every morning before work at 7:30 (I usually get there around 5 and stay until 6-6:15). I have been doing this for about three or so months now. At first, it was really hard to force myself out of bed. I would always have to keep reminding myself why I needed to do it. I have a 'goal outfit' hanging up that I look at every morning before getting ready to go to the gym. I will be in this outfit soon! :) As the first month went on, it became easier and easier. Now, I get up *almost* every morning fairly easily (except when I am sick).

My sleeping schedule has changed (for the better) because of getting up earlier. I go to bed around 8:30 almost every night. I realized about a month into going in the mornings that I wasn't getting enough sleep. Now, I feel so much better throughout the day.

I still struggle to find time to go back to the gym for weights, but I am currently looking into using resistance tubes at home. I hope I can do them in the evenings while I help my nephew with his homework.

My advice: start it one morning and just keep at it, even if you don't want to. It will *hopefully* become habit after a few weeks.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!
  • AZHeatMomma5
    AZHeatMomma5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I could never workout in the mornings... ever! I usually fall asleep right after my workouts so I tend to do them at night, maybe you could see how you feel working out at night instead and sleep in in the morning
    This is true with me as well so at 10:00 seems easy and I'm fully charged after a a beginners jog.
  • sshones1104
    Options
    I honestly feel morning workouts are the best. Gives me and energy boost for the day, one less thing to do after work in an already busy day and no obsticals in the way for me to change my mind. It's always a little tough to wake up but once I am, I never regret it.
  • Golfcat75
    Golfcat75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have to do my workouts in the morning, I know by the evening that I'll find every excuse not to go to the gym. Best motivation for getting up (5.15am for me) is to know it'll be over and done and I can feel smug for the rest of the day ☺
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning! But I do have to get up early; usually between 4 am - 4:10 am depending on what I'm doing. My workouts vary, but I do work out 6 days each week. On most days I'm in the office by 7-7:30 am, and most nights I'm in bed and sleeping soundly by 8:30 pm! If I have energy left over, I'll do some sort of activity after work. For me, morning is the only time that I have time! Good luck to you all!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at the gym by 5am. In the beginning its rough, but so worth it. I have to set 3 alarms on my phone and one on my fitbit. I go to bed earlier, but that's okay. I'm usually asleep by 9:30-10pm.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I have to get up at 4:30am to begin work, and I finally get home between 8pm and 9pm. I'll get dinner going, and while in waiting ill sneak in a workout. It's usually only hooping or running, but I just worked all day. During winter layoffs I focus on toning up, so now in learning bo staff and doing insanity before I go back to work.
  • mso429
    Options
    I want to work out in the mornings so badly, but have to wake up at 5am just to be able to get in a 30 minute workout. When I wait to work out in the afternoon I usually dodge my workout due to driving my kids to and from activities, being tired or having to run errands. However, it is rare that I can get to bed until about 10pm, which makes waking up at 5am increasingly difficult. Any suggestions on morning rouitines that have helped get the pattern set to wake up early?
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just started running in the morning. I only go two days a week in the morning; the other days I go at night. It's my trial run, to ease into it. I might get up to 6 days a week going early, or just stick with two days in the morning and the rest evening. Find out what works for you.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    All I can say is keep doing it. It will get somewhat easier. I workout in the morning b/c it gives me energy for the day. I find that if I miss my morning workout, I'm super sleepy during the day.

I have to pressure myself though. For instance, if I know I won't be able to workout that evening, it forces me to have to get up and do it in the morning. Also, if I know there is a fitness class I want to attend, but I don't want to get behind schedule on whatever home program I'm following (like Insanity Max 30 or PiYo), it forces me to get up.

Find whatever works for you. But there is no rule that says you have to workout in the morning. Just find what works for you.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started running in the morning. I only go two days a week in the morning; the other days I go at night. It's my trial run, to ease into it. I might get up to 6 days a week going early, or just stick with two days in the morning and the rest evening. Find out what works for you.

Good morning! If you are having trouble getting up for a 30 minute workout, have you thought about trying to get a good 15 minute one in right away in the morning and squeezing either a workout or extra movement of some kind (walk, jump rope, whatever) in between "life as it happens"? You need to do what works with your life so that you can be consistent. Hang in there and keep moving, no matter what time it is!
  • maracasa
    Options
    angeldavis wrote: »
    I generally love the way I feel in the morning after a good run, but in order to do so I have to get up at 4:15am to get 30 minutes in before time to get ready for work. It is hard to stay on a schedule getting up that early because I get so tired. I would love to go back after work a couple of days a week for weights, but I am usually too tired. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to force yourself to go? When do you work out?