weighing meat?

Options
does anybody know when to weigh meat (before or after cooking)? we are making burgers for lunch and hubby threw them on the grill before i could weigh the meat for my pattie...i know that meat usually weighs more when it is raw but does this make a difference in the cals???

Replies

• FletcherChic
    Options
    does anybody know when to weigh meat (before or after cooking)? we are making burgers for lunch and hubby threw them on the grill before i could weigh the meat for my pattie...i know that meat usually weighs more when it is raw but does this make a difference in the cals???
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I weigh after. make sense to me! most of the fat fueled the fire!:smokin:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I don't know why but this really made me chuckle. I just got this image of you running out to your husband with the food scale, all panicky... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've always weighed it after. A lot of fat/water is cooked out of it and as far as I know this is the accurate way to do it.
  • manny1m
    Options
    I always weigh sfter cooking.
  • FletcherChic
    Options

I don't know why but this really made me chuckle. I just got this image of you running out to your husband with the food scale, all panicky... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've always weighed it after. A lot of fat/water is cooked out of it and as far as I know this is the accurate way to do it.

your mental image is almost accurate :laugh: ...thankfully i restrained myself from snatching the meat off the grill to weigh it...lucky for hubby all of you suggest weighing after...otherwise i would have smacked him with a spatula!!! :mad:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

your mental image is almost accurate :laugh: ...thankfully i restrained myself from snatching the meat off the grill to weigh it...lucky for hubby all of you suggest weighing after...otherwise i would have smacked him with a spatula!!! :mad:

Ok, now you got ME lol:laugh: :laugh:
    Get back here you:angry: ! Give me my burger:grumble: !
    Dh watches me and clicks his mouth as I measure the meat 1st before, then after!! BTW on 7% low fat hamburger meat it went from 4 oz to 3.75!!