"Runners Knee" and recommendations for shoes

Options
I recently started running, but by running I mean only 1-2 miles. So nothing intense. But for the last month or month and a half I have noticed incredible knee pain. I was taking classes at my gym that was cardio and some weight training - we did A LOT OF squats. I watch my form and am pretty familiar with how to do them.

But ever since I started running regularly I have been experiencing a lot of knee pain. Now its just general discomfort even if I am not working out. Usually after a jog I notice my knee is tender to the touch and kinda hot. I live on the 2nd floor and now walking up and down the stairs now really hurts. I bought some knee bands and that seems to help just a little. I wear NB shoes.

1) I would like a recommendation on really good running shoes for flat wide feet lol (I have no arch at all) I was told ASICS are the best
2) anyone have major knee pain? what are your suggestions? What kind of braces or knee support should I look into buying?

I have a 5k coming up this Thurs - Should I rest until then? Or continue to train?

Thanks!

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. What works for me won't necessarily work for you.

And i'd rest your knee. If you've been training diligently, it won't hurt you to take the time off.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I agree ... go to a running shoe specialty store. They will watch you walk and run and see how your gait is, how your foot hits the ground, etc. and will be able to recommend a shoe (or group of shoes) appropriate to your individual needs. Makes a world of difference!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I am flat footed as well.

I used to run in Asics Gel GT-2160

I can not (Pretty much no one can.) recommended shoes to you because I do not know your gait (Landing Mechanics). I suggest you get fitted for a shoe from a running store. A lot of stores use pressure pads to figure out what you need but this alone will not help.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The type of brace you'd need would depend on the type of knee issue, so that's hard to say. It might be worth going to a doctor if it keeps up. Meanwhile, ice and ibuprofen!
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should really go to a local running shop (NOT one of those big-box places!) and have them evaluate your gait, stance, etc. for the proper pair of shoes. If you haven't done that before, that needs to be your first step. You might find some of your discomfort goes away immediately. However, it also might not.

A few years ago, I tried to add running into my workout routine, but did EVERYTHING wrong, most of all the wrong shoes. I ended up with illiotibial band syndrome so bad, it put me out of running for almost a year. Don't underestimate the value of wearing the proper shoes! Also, I ended up with OTC orthotic inserts, per my physical therapist's recommendation. Those inserts + the right shoes have made all the difference, and I've been running for 2 1/2 years injury-free.

If I were you, I'd either walk or bag the 5K entirely. You need to get to the bottom of your pain first. If you continue to run on it, you're doing further damage. Just my 2 cents...
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the knee, (you may want to see a dr.) but I do know that you have to go to a running specialty store and get a gait analysis. They can tell you if you about your arches, pronation, etc. and what kind of shoe is best for you (motion control, stability, or neutral). Then you can try on every one of those kinds of shoes that they have and see which one is the most comfortable for you. For me it's the shoe that almost feels like I'm not wearing a shoe! :) You're gonna pay a little (or a lot) more for your shoes, but you can rest (run) assured that any injury won't be from your shoes!

Good luck! Running is awesome!
  • sprincess59
    sprincess59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i used to get knee pain after my runs but as long as i make sure to stretch and then ice my knees afterwards for at least 10-15 minutes, they usually don't hurt.

i've also heard that toning your quads will help with knee pain.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    The type of brace you'd need would depend on the type of knee issue, so that's hard to say. It might be worth going to a doctor if it keeps up. Meanwhile, ice and ibuprofen!

I second this!

My fiance and I just got fitted for running shoes this weekend and he got ASICS gel Kayanos. The knee band really helped with his knee pain (he's had 2 surgeries on it) but now with these shoes, he said he has no pain at all!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For a really good running shoe, you need to go to a store that specializes in them. They will measure your feet, assess your needs, and should watch you walk barefoot and see how your feet land and roll through your stride. Then they can make suggestions on shoes. The store I go to lets me try a different shoe on each foot, so I can compare. I can even jog out on the sidewalk and then decide which shoe feels the best. We put a new shoe on the foot of the shoe I eliminated and compare another shoe to the one I liked the best. Sometimes this process is time consuming - but very worth it and I usually leave with a pair of shoes I love. I also have knee issues, so it is very important for me to have good shoes and replace them once they have worn out. I started having problems with my 'good' knee about a year ago, and my trainer suggested a knee brace - one that pulls on over my foot and is open around the knee. No buckles or straps. It's worked great. I run with it 3 times a week, and have run several races with it, including two different half marathons. Good luck! Also, while getting ready for your 5K this week, try icing your knee as soon as you get back from your run - that should help too. I'd just take the two days before your race off. :) Have fun! Races are awesome.
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everyone! I have intentions on going to a running store. These New Balances I wear I was originally fitted for but at the time I didnt do any running / only general gym cardio stuff.

I may also just look around on the knee braces. I am okay with spending $$$ so long as I stop getting the knee pain. Haven't tried icing it down after my runs, will have to try that
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    1) Thats exactly my feet! I have a pair of Brooks shoes (I wish I could remember the shoe name, starts with an A?) that are one width size up from standard. I had a pair of NBs before which were alright but the Brooks are INFINITELY better.

2) I dealt with knee pain last year and bought a brace but it was uncomfortable and I don't know how much it helped. This year with more strength training under my belt its been going better. Things that have helped:

-Before every run warm up (walk or jog until you literally feel warm) then streeeeeeeeetch! Especially your quads and hamstrings. Take your time stretching, do it before running (but after warm up) and after running. Its boring but do it!

-Exercises: wall sits, squats, lunges. Especially wall sits!

-If it hurts, STOP! No shame in it. No shame in taking time off either. I would definitely rest until the 5K

Feel free to add me, I'm not new to running but I'm new to being successful at it and I'm learning a lot.
  • Bigtunatina
    Options
    For a really good running shoe, you need to go to a store that specializes in them. They will measure your feet, assess your needs, and should watch you walk barefoot and see how your feet land and roll through your stride. Then they can make suggestions on shoes. The store I go to lets me try a different shoe on each foot, so I can compare. I can even jog out on the sidewalk and then decide which shoe feels the best. We put a new shoe on the foot of the shoe I eliminated and compare another shoe to the one I liked the best. Sometimes this process is time consuming - but very worth it and I usually leave with a pair of shoes I love. I also have knee issues, so it is very important for me to have good shoes and replace them once they have worn out. I started having problems with my 'good' knee about a year ago, and my trainer suggested a knee brace - one that pulls on over my foot and is open around the knee. No buckles or straps. It's worked great. I run with it 3 times a week, and have run several races with it, including two different half marathons. Good luck! Also, while getting ready for your 5K this week, try icing your knee as soon as you get back from your run - that should help too. I'd just take the two days before your race off. :) Have fun! Races are awesome.

to marathonmom72 what kind of brace / brand are you wearing? I would like to look into it. thanks
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone that's posted on here in regard to running shoes - go to a specialty store and get fitted.
    the right sneakers alone may correct the knee pain.

i too suffer from runner's knee (left knee only) and the orthopedist suggested a knee brace (with the hole in the middle, which can be obtained in any surgical supply store). i personally do not like the constricted feeling of running with a brace, but it may work for u.

my husband exhibed ITB, also in the left knee, and found that foam rolling before and after a run worked for him.

also, always stretch - dynamic before a workout and static after.

Good Luck!!! :drinker:
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    def go get fitted. also, are you running inside or outside? it may have to do w/ the impact on asphalt/cement/etc. when if irst started running outside, my knee would bother me sometimes, so i would ice w/ a bag of frozen peas or a wet wash cloth that was frozen so i could wrap it around my knee, and that would help. pls pls pls go get fitted for shoes---i can only wear asics but what works for me won't work for you. my local running store puts you on a black pad that shows where your balance is and then puts you on a treadmill and records you running. then, they analyze that and have you run outside in a few diff types of shoes and you can choose your favorites. good shoes are expensive (mine run about $90-$120) but you know what's more expensive? knee surgery...and then who knows if you'll be able to run again! good luck :)
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    Brand is less important than what works. I have told folks jokingly..."I run in Asics, love them...until they make drastic changes I will buy them til I die. However, if Chuck Taylor's work for you...that is what you need to wear." It is whatever works and that is the most important thing.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend this to a newer runner, but my chronic knee problems virtually disappeared when I switched to a pair of low drop minimalist shoes. (NB Minimus Road)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The more I read, the more I learn, the more I run, the more I believe proper running form trumps all when it comes to preventing injury & pain.
    That's not to say that it isn't important to have the correct shoes, but sometimes even the "right" shoes won't help.

Also I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but a couple months ago I dealt with some knee pain. Classic runner's knee symptoms. Just so happened my back was also bothering me a little. Got an adjustment from my chiropractor & almost instantly the knee pain stopped as well. Sometimes a seemingly unrelated issue can be the cause.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend this to a newer runner, but my chronic knee problems virtually disappeared when I switched to a pair of low drop minimalist shoes. (NB Minimus Road)
    Mine went away too when I went to Nike Free and then Vibrams. I believe the reason is that minimalist shoes, particularly vibrams, force you to correct your form because incorrect form is not possible without an inch of foam under the foot.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Mine went away too when I went to Nike Free and then Vibrams. I believe the reason is that minimalist shoes, particularly vibrams, force you to correct your form because incorrect form is not possible without an inch of foam under the foot.

Exactly.
  • Bigtunatina
    Options
    I got some Brooks shoes and ran and FELT NO PAIN whatsoever. Kind of incredible. Going to try to completely my 5k thurs and I have taken 2 days off before. Thanks for all your suggestions

I hope this corrects my problem