meat ounces?

Options
I'm wondering how everybody figures out how many ounces of meat they are eating? I have been pretty much guessing and would like some tips.

Thanks!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If I'm at home I use my food scale.

If I'm at families where they don't have a scale I use the reference of a deck of cards to be 3 oz of meat. Going by your palm may work as well but I know people with extremely small hands and I'd not want to be that badly ripped off ;)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale... you can get them for under $20 on amazon. Works wonders, I measure everything. I'm not a big fan of using volume as a measurement
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Most of us have a digital food scale. You can weigh in grams or in ounces. I weigh my meats raw at 4oz. I've gotten good at eyeing thin cuts so I rarely weigh them anymore. I'm still working on the thicker cuts though.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I just recently bought a food scale at Walmart for only $18. It works great and is perfect for me!
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    typically a 4 oz portion size is a little smaller than the palm of your hand.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Definitely get a food scale, they are also great for measuring pasta and vegetables! It is a real eye opener at first:smile:
  • ukmumintexas
    ukmumintexas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to use weight to measure, I mean exactly what is a medium potato!!!!
  • mamamadonna
    mamamadonna Posts: 99
    Options
    Wow that was fast! Thanks everyone!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I don't.. if i buy a pack of meat over here, the pack says how much grams is in it. All i have to do is divide that by the amount of pieces of meat that's in the package... That and there seems to be this general thing going on that each piece of meat is always 100 grams here for one person..
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to use weight to measure, I mean exactly what is a medium potato!!!!

HAHHAA!! That goes through my head everytime they have a size for a portion in the database!!!

I love using weight
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I don't.. if i buy a pack of meat over here, the pack says how much grams is in it. All i have to do is divide that by the amount of pieces of meat that's in the package... That and there seems to be this general thing going on that each piece of meat is always 100 grams here for one person..

Ditto....!!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    100 grams is pretty close to 3.5 ounces so sounds like a real portion anyway.