working out while sick

Options
Is it ok for me to workout during my cold? I really don't feel like adding in an extra rest day this week and feel as if I'll go stir crazy if I can't make it to the gym today

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    What I've read is that if you're sick from the neck down (chest infection, stomach flu, etc) than it may be better to avoid exercise. If it's above the neck you can probably push through.

You may just have to take it a bit easier & if you're sneezing/coughing a lot make sure you're washing your hands and wiping equipment down.
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have the energy to burn then go for it! Just pay attention to how you feel before, during, and after your workout.
    I usually workout when I'm sick.. however, this week it's just not happening because I feel awful and exercising isn't helping. So I'm resting and will pick it back up when I feel better.
    It's all about how you feel, and only you know if you need the rest or not. (unless of course a dr tells you otherwise)
  • scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of just doing a little cardio. I only have a runny nose and slight sinus congestion
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I wish sick people wouldn’t come to the gym. If you’re up to it, do something at home, but please don’t get us sick too.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I wish sick people wouldn’t come to the gym. If you’re up to it, do something at home, but please don’t get us sick too.
    This. Go walk or run outside, but don't go to the gym. Nobody wants to be breathing your germs.

• scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Well I'm planning to limit myself to 1-2 cardio machines and wiping them down after

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If I were sick I sure as heck wouldn't be going to a gym to workout, I'd either take a walk outside or do something at home.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    it is not only spread by touch but a lot is airborne too so you might want to wear a mask if you are taking other people into consideration
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I find if I'm getting sick, exercise can make me sicker. (i.e. aggravates my illness).
    If I'm already on the upswing though, exercise hastens recovery.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    please stay home no offense but still .
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    scorrea2 wrote: »

Well I'm planning to limit myself to 1-2 cardio machines and wiping them down after

Germs move through the air when you breathe. Please be considerate of others. This is how illness spreads.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    please keep other people in mind and wear a face mask and spray ANYTHING YOU TOUCH down with a germ killing something. better yet, just go for a jog or do something solitary where you can't contaminate anyone. I've been sick the past few days and (1) certainly haven't had the energy to workout and more importantly (2) even if i DID, i would not purposely put other people at risk for getting my germs.

thats just rude and inconsiderate.

so workout if you want to, but be mindful of others.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out great but please do something out of the gym. Perhaps a video or walk or something not in the gym. Even if you wipe down the equipment you can still spread stuff through the air and no one really wants to get sick.

I hope you feel better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I hate when sick people come into the gym and spread their crud around. Workout at home, not my gym.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    AdieEve wrote: »
    scorrea2 wrote: »

Germs move through the air when you breathe. Please be considerate of others. This is how illness spreads.

What are these 'germs' of which you speak? ;)

Seriously though, doesn't it seem like we've reverted back to 1915 when the general public had no concept of germ theory?

Germs are real people... and they're out to get you!! >:)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    ^I agree with all of these people. Viruses can be carried in aerosolized particles when you breathe, sneeze and cough. Other people inhale them and Poof! Now they're sick too.

I almost always train through my illnesses. The last time I didn't train due to illness I had salmonella poisoning. I never train at a gym when I'm sick though.