Why do I get so sick when I run?

Options
I recently just started working out again and I haven't had any problems with my body not responding well. I do 10 minutes on each cardio machine at the gym for a total of 30-50 minutes and then I do weights as well. My body feels great and I've yet to have any problems until last night. Last night I decided to stay home and use my treadmill for a quick 30 minutes workout. I walked at 3 mph the first minutes and then jogged at 5 mph for 30 seconds and then speed walk for the next 30 seconds at 4 mph and I repeated that until 30 minutes were up and then I ended with a 5 minute cool down walking at 3 mph. I felt great but then I showered and got in bed and instantly felt extremely nauseous to the point that I couldn't take it and made myself throw up to stop feeling so horrible. I ate like and hour and a half before the workout and it was a small dinner of a piece of salmon and steamed spinach. I noticed when I threw up it was all of the spinach I had eaten and it wasn't digested.

Anyway...I used to have this problem every time I pushed myself hard on the treadmill like this about 2 years ago. If the other workout aren't too much for me then why is running and walking on and off? Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening because it is unbearable nausea. I drink water before and during my workout and I highly down I'm drinking too much water.

Why is this happening?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That last part may be your issue. I find that I tend to get nauseous if I drink a bit of water right before cardio. I also try to drink only enough water while doing it (especially if rowing or on a treadmill - anything that has my body bouncing/moving). If I drink too much water while running/rowing, I don't feel well.
  • addy2261
    addy2261 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I drink water while I run because I sweat a lot and want to avoid becoming dehydrated. Especially because I notice my mouth starts to get dry. I also don't really drink a lot of water. Probably a regular 16oz bottle of water at the most during a 30-60 minutes workout. Do you think even that bottle is too much water while I'm exerting myself?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oh. Probably not too much water. And it sounds like you're doing basically what I do when I don't have problems.

In that case, I really don't know what the problem might be - unless you're simply overdoing it for now. It doesn't sound like you are, though. But that's all I can think of. Sorry I can't be of more help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also Ive been reading a lot about lactic acidosis.sounds like its possible when you push yourself too much. are you breathing correctly when working out? sounds dumb but you need to get as much oxygen into your body as you can when working out. or maybe acid reflux caused it?(I sometimes get that when I work out but have never been nauseous or vomited). did you use the treadmill at home after you did all those exercises at the gym? if so you overdid it and it was your body's way of saying that was too much.always eat before a workout and something small afterward. also here is an article (I dont know anything about running) maybe it will shed some light on your symptoms-http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/nausea-and-vomiting-before-and-after-running/
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    honestly? It's probably the water. I can drink water to my heart's content during just about any workout EXCEPT running - the sloshing just makes me want to hurl.

For a 30-60 minute run, I don't hydrate at all DURING my run (whether it's 90 degrees or -10 degrees). I hydrate as soon as I finish. If I run in the morning, I make sure I am fully hydrated the day before. and if I run after work, I make sure I'm fully hydrated during the day and stop all food 2 hours before my workout and stop drinking 30 minutes before (unless I'm doing a brick...then I'll finish my last 4-6 oz of water during the last 20 minutes on the bike.

For runs over 60 minutes, I will drink a little something (6-8 oz) 30 minutes before, and then hydrate when I'm done. If it's really hot out in the summer, I'll wear a hydration belt and hydrate during, but NEVER more than 16 oz, and NEVER more than 2 oz or so at a time. I don't carry during races...but I will usually grab a cup at water stops (again, just 1-2 oz at a time). Although for my first half back in Oct, my ITB was acting up and after mile 8, I didn't take any more water, because I knew if I slowed down enough to not choke, I would be walking the rest of it.

Planning out my nutrition/hydration for my half ironman in june is going to be tricky. *sigh*
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with a short workout like that, but for longer workouts, I tend to feel nauseous if I drink plain water, but I feel fine if I drink a sports drink.
  • addy2261
    Options
    I have a desk job and before two weeks ago I was lazy as can be. Always sitting and laying down so I feel like I am pushing myself too hard from running. Thank you for the article.

If there is anyone else who can tell me from experience what they did to stop this form happening to them that would be great!
  • MariaT099
    MariaT099 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cant drink water when running, my stomach gets sick! If i drink it before i cant run at all!
    I usually have to wait until after the run to get my water in.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would try waiting longer after eating if you are going to push yourself. Running on a full stomach gives me indigestion. I don't usually drink anything for a 30 minute run. For an hour run, I would drink 4-8 ounces of water. 16 ounces of water for a 30 minute run is a lot of water. Wait until after your run is finished to drink that much water eat your dinner after the run if time is short.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    addy2261 wrote: »
    I ate like and hour and a half before the workout and it was a small dinner of a piece of salmon and steamed spinach.

So your meal lacked carbs? That plus exercise can cause nausea due to hypoglycemia. Solution: more carbs.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the water as well. I don't drink any water at all when I run (I also do interval running, like you). I sweat a ton - I'm talking sweat dripping down my face and my shirt is soaked when I'm done. If I try to drink water while I'm running, I get nauseous. I'd try eliminating the water during your run and see if that helps. I actually try to steer clear of water for a about half an hour before my run (mostly because I don't want to have to pee while running).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    So your meal lacked carbs? That plus exercise can cause nausea due to hypoglycemia. Solution: more carbs.

Very unlikely given the session described
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For a very gentle session that you've described, throwing 500ml of water down your neck is almost certainly the problem.

Hydrate as a matter of course throughout the day and for a session like that you shouldn't need any water at all.

I'd also note that going from no exercise to what you describe is quite a leap and that can't help. Particularly pertinent if the meal you describe is typical, it's not out of the question that you're grossly underfuelled.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I agree it is likely the water. I drink water all of the time however never more than a sip or two at a time when running. Think the little small cups at races. That way I don't feel to sick or the water sloshing around in my tummy. I have gulped water down on a run and ended up puking on the side of the road. It was very graceful.
  • addy2261
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I think you are all right about the water. i work out really hard and long at the gum but don't drink water because I don't want to drag the bottle around with me and I NEVER get sick after. Wish me luck on my run tonight!