Should you log ALL veg?

Options
Hi everyone.
I'm just wondering, does everyone log ALL veg? I've just had a couple of handfuls of kale as a snack and when I'm making my husbands sandwiches to take to work, I often swipe a piece of lettuce or cucumber. I'm low carbing so not snaffling a whole baked potato or anything!
ANy thoughts gratefully received.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The standard, conventional wisdom answer is yes.

That being said, I don't always log the few slices of cucumber and red onion I put on a salad, or the 3 cherry tomatoes I grab as I pass by the refrigerator.

It's sort of a personal preference thing. If your weight trend is where you want it to be without doing it, no biggie. But if you're not getting the results you're after, and you haven't been logging 100% accurately, more accurately logging is the first place to start.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Like the above: yes.
    Do I always log that extra cherry tomato I ate while making lunch, or the few random stalks of broccoli I ate while meal prepping? No.

I highly doubt a few pieces of kale or cucumber will set you over. But try to log everything as well as possible when you can.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I typically don't count green vegetables because the calorie amount is so low it's not going to really make a difference. Other vegetables that aren't green vegetables I would log.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You should totally get credit for those vitamins/nutrients. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm older, I'm short, and I have a low calorie allowance. I log EVERYTHING because every calorie makes a difference for my weight loss; I have very little wiggle room in my deficit.

Just because you're low carbing doesn't mean that calories don't count. Now, the kale isn't super calorically dense, so you're probably fine, but it's best to make a habit of logging your intake as accurately as you can. When you come closer to your goal, you'll likely have less wiggle room for extra calories in your day. Having an accurate picture will enable to analyze what you're doing and make changes if need be.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are days I log a salad as a mixed bag of salad. Does it matter if the components are kale/buttercrunch/bok choy? Maybe a 10 calorie difference. I do like crediting myself the vegetables I do have.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think really I was worrying about the time it would take to log everything. I get a bit obsessive. When I did Weightwatchers I could literally devote the majority of a morning to trying to get my day down to zero points. I'm struggling a bit at the moment as I am trying to lose a decent amount of weight quickly for a photo shoot at the end of the month so was doing a TFR but it made me miserable so I'm mixing the TFR in with low carb as I can't afford to throw all the TFR away. x
  • nellysen
    nellysen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I log every single thing even the tiny amounts because I am the kind of person who might just stop logging altogether if there are some things I do and some things I don't log.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I get about 500 grams of fruits and veggies a day, and I log every single one of them with pride. *flexes* a lot of them have some protein in them, which help me reach my macro goals by the end of the day.

and this:
    You should totally get credit for those vitamins/nutrients. :)

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Log All The Things.

ALL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just depends on how exacting you want to be...I'm not too concerned myself with a piece of spinach or something...but I also don't tend to eat/snack like that either.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Log All The Things.

ALL

Yep.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Logging only makes sense if you are logging everything.
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Either Log or Don't Log :smile:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    h833z_zpsa435026d.jpg

Seriously, though, I do, but since I don't snack on veggies that makes it easier for me.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm just trying to log them all today and see how I get on. :) x
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING.
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do because I'm a notorious grazer. So, it discourages me from mindlessly popping food in my mouth. I know grazing on veggies isn't a big deal, but I'm trying to break the habit all together (because it's often things like crackers, chocolate, a spoonful of mashed potatoes, a few giant bites of pasta...you get my point.). I have to log consistently :-)