Nutrition info for boneless/skinless chx breast

can anyone give surefire nutrition info for boneless/skinless chicken breast? It seems each place I look has a different answer, sometimes with a difference of 100 calories or more.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I still have no idea. I guess I just use the MFP entries (without asterix) for chicken breast raw or cooked.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I just searched for:
    usda chicken breast boneless skinless cooked

Looking at several of the entries, for 3 oz they report these calories:

I'd go with the highest one, because then you're definitely not underestimating your intake.
    When possible, use USDA entries. Second best would be brand names.
    DO NOT use something with a person's name unless you're that person & you entered teh recpie.

Have you read sexypants yet?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    4 oz has 100 cals or so
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    I use the brand name, by ounces. Even store brand is listed, usually.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    The brand I buy from Walmart is 120 calories for 4oz.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The best way to log whole foods is to find the MFP-inputted entry (as Francl27 indicated) that has no asterisk. It will read like this: chicken-breast, raw, meat only. There are different formats if you weigh cooked or have a different cut or its skin on.

The key is NOT to weigh cooked and use the raw entry. Use the entry for the state the meat was in when you weighed it. (Bones are not included in the weight.)

If you want to check an entry go to the USDA site or find one with lots of confirmations if you lack the time to do that.
  • LifeInAWay
    LifeInAWay Posts: 50 Member
    I rely on the USDA website a lot. It seems like they pretty much have everything in there and it gives you different options. Even for things like raw brocolli. You can choose an option for just florets, or just stems, etc. And you can change some of the settings also. So if you're going to eat 2 cups instead of 1, you can enter 2 and hit apply changes and it will do the math for you.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    I just figured out last night that I have been tracking meat wrong for a YEAR! If you are measuring it raw the calories per ounce are less but once the liquid is cooked out the calories per ounce is more. Use the USDA Boneless Skinless Breast Cooked at 47 per ounce. However, if you use the 4 oz option it is entered wrong as 140 cal/4=40 per oz. There is a website that entered a bunch of correct listings into MFP. Search " Eat To Perform". They show chicken as 47 also. Likewise, If you go to a steak place and order a 6 oz sirloin use the RAW USDA Sirloin (57 cal per oz) because the restaurants measure it raw. But measuring it cooked at home needs to be the Eat to Perform 71 calories per oz. So, I've also been off a lot on ground turkey 40 w 6 grams of protein vs. 47 w 7 grams pt. Use Any Ground Turkey cooked 93/7 :(( No more head in the sand!
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    I second what the others are saying about using the information from the USDA. If you google "calories in boneless skinless chicken breasts" (or any other non-processed food) the first thing that comes up will be the USDA information. There will be pull down menus so you can find out the calories in 100 grams. I usually compare the calories in 100 grams of whatever food to the MFP database and use the MFP entry that is a match. Then I will log, for example, "115 servings of 1 gram" so that my calories will be logged as accurately as possible.
    In the rare cases that I can't find the USDA information I will use the information provided by calorieking.com. The guy who runs that site is a registered dietician and my own local dietician has said that his website is an accurate source for nutritional information!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    As Kickbox Diva mentioned, make sure that the entry you're using says if it's raw or cooked. That makes a big difference. I try to measure raw whenever possible. The USDA/MFP version (MFP already has all the USDA stuff, just not with USDA in the title) comes up if you put it in as it shows up online when you google something like "calories in chicken breast".

They tend to look a specific way, are always plural, and usually have the info about cooked or not in the title. Some examples of the MFP entries are "Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw" "Eggs - Whole, raw." They will also let you choose a variety of serving sizes, such as "1 large" or "100g" or "1 cup chopped"

For chicken breast the MFP entry should read "Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw" and give you the option of ounces, pounds, grams, half a breast, etc. If you don't have any nutritional info on the package—which should always be the first thing you go with and is most accurate—the USDA stuff is the next best bet.
  • amanda_el
    amanda_el Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone!! This was very helpful.