Tough Mudder decision!?!

Options
I have always wanted to do a Tough Mudder. Being a bigger dude (6ft5 325lbs), does anyone know if that's a good run to start on, or should I start smaller and work up?

I'm fairly athletic. Lift and run every day, sometimes twice. I've played sports before as well, so mentally I feel like I'm ready, but idk if my body could take a long distance on top of the obstacles.

Puhleeeease help! :)

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I volunteered for a Dirty Donkey run once, I assume it's similar. The races are usually about 5 kms, right? If you think you can pull yourself up on ropes, drag yourself under nets, and balance on balance beams and things, you should be ok I think. You might lose a shoe in a mud pit though!

People of all body types seemed to be doing the Dirty Donkey when I volunteered. They do also generally give you an alternate activity if you can't do one of the obstacles (in my case, it was 10 burpees if you wanted to skip the obstacle - more for more difficult ones).
  • amandamaynv
    amandamaynv Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A group of my friends and I are doing one this summer. Everything I've read basically said make sure you train. And not just in the gym. Find some hills to run up and down and do intervals one. Go to the playground and do the monkey bars. Just make sure you get a lot of outdoor training! Honestly I've just started training for one so that's the only advice I have thus far. Hopefully someone else can provide some more information! Oh and the only thing I've done prior to registering for this was a 5k.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a tough mudder this summer along with a zombie apocalypse run. I found a really cool training guide on Pinterest. It's a 3 week guide. It's a lot of interval running with burpees, mountain climbers, calisthenics and pretty much ever exercise that I hate! Right now I'm just working on running for more then 5 min without passing out!
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did a TM a couple of years ago. I spent countless hours training on my bowflex and running trails. I was not as prepared as I thought I was. The running was not an issue as I had trained regularly running 20k trails with steep ascents and descents. However, it was the unexpected that got me. I did mine in Whistler, BC in July at what was the Olympic Park. There was snow and ice on the ground (July 24th)! The toughest obstacle? The two ice baths. One was a 40ft trailer filled nearly to the brim with ice cold water and large ice blocks. A 2x6 was fixed below the water line so you had to duck your head into the frigid water. Once your head goes into the water, if you are not prepared for it, it literally takes your breath away. You cannot breathe once your head comes out of the water. We had a 2nd ice water obstacle about 1/2 way through the course. We had to run about 2 km on an ice covered trail, after being soaking wet from the first ice bath. We never dried off as the temperature never got warmer than 10C. The higher we climbed in the trails, the colder it got. The coldest point in the race it was 2C. We round a corner and there is a half-frozen lake! 1/2 the lake was still covered by a sheet of ice. By the time it was our turn there was so much ice and snow in the water from the previous contestants that the water was more like a 7/11 slushie drink. Again, the water was deep enough to be submerged above your head. Coming out of this one was excruciating as your whole body feels like it's on fire from the 10 - 15 seconds in that slush.

If a TM has been held in prior years at the same venue you will be going to, find out from the TM website's venue image gallery what obstacles there were - you will likely be facing those. Train for the toughest ones and you'll do fine with the rest.

Expect sections of very deep mud - up to your hips. Ensure your shoes fit snug. Several runners lost their shoes in this obstacle. Wear clothing that you don't mind losing, tearing and never being able to get the mud stains out of.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I volunteered for a Dirty Donkey run once, I assume it's similar. The races are usually about 5 kms, right? If you think you can pull yourself up on ropes, drag yourself under nets, and balance on balance beams and things, you should be ok I think. You might lose a shoe in a mud pit though!

People of all body types seemed to be doing the Dirty Donkey when I volunteered. They do also generally give you an alternate activity if you can't do one of the obstacles (in my case, it was 10 burpees if you wanted to skip the obstacle - more for more difficult ones).

My Tough Mudder race was 13 miles...

OP - Tough Mudders are a blast. To train, I did CrossFit and I made sure I could run a 5k at a good pace (30 mins) and I was fine.