Sad But True, I Fell Off the Wagon

Options
3 years ago I lost 85 lbs and was working out with a trainer 3 times a week. I have NEVER felt better. Shortly after, I went through a divorce, got into a new unexpected relationship that is very happy and fulfilling. But guess what, he eats like crap. One bad dinner (bad in food choices), lead to two, lead to 3, etc. until here I sit 3 years later having gained back 60 of the 85 lbs, not working out and feeling like crap. Why? Why would I do that? Why do we yo-yo diet? Why when we feel so good and know what works do we throw it out the window and fall off the wagon? I guess that is life's question to those of us with weight issues and if I had the answer it would be my road to fame and fortune.

I received news this week from my doctor, my iron is low (low to the point of needing a prescription), my thyroid is out of whack (to the point of raising my meds for the 3rd time in a year) and now to add to my pleasure, my sugar is high. He is giving me two months of back to eating right and working out before he checks my A1C again. If it is still out of whack then Metformin it will be for me.

Sad but true that I fell off the wagon. Good thing for me I am stubborn and won't give up. My Daddy taught me when you fall of the horse (or wagon) you get up, brush yourself off and try again.

Here is to Day 1......

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have fallen off this wagon so many times I'm surprised I'm not concussed! I figured out the answer to why: It's that it takes a stinking ridiculous amount of energy and focus for me to stay in a good weight range. But it's so worth it to feel good and not have health scares. You can do it because if I can, anyone can!
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well at least you know how to correct this.. Work on getting your significant other on board too, you guys can work on being healthier together. Good luck on your weight loss journey! You can do this!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Getting right back on is the absolute best thing we can do. Since you already know exactly what you need to do and what to expect you'll be back where you want to be in time.

The hardest part about losing weight is that it's just so easy to let everything slide and undo all of our hard work. I recently read an article that compared staying at a healthy weight to walking down an up escalator. The moment you stop paying attention, you start to go back up.

One thing that might help is to get into the habit of weighing yourself every day, or at least every week. You'll catch the upswings much more quickly and they won't do quite as much damage if you can correct it earlier.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    I have fallen off this wagon so many times I'm surprised I'm not concussed! I figured out the answer to why: It's that it takes a stinking ridiculous amount of energy and focus for me to stay in a good weight range. But it's so worth it to feel good and not have health scares. You can do it because if I can, anyone can!

Yup! This is why. And, when you don't put that "stinking ridiculous amount of energy and focus" into it because of either good or bad life distractions, the weight comes right back. I think for some of us, we're really fighting our genetics, which just want us to be plumper than we want to be. It is worth, it though, and we just have to keep getting back up and getting back on that wagon every time we fall off!

Congrats to you for getting into a healthy happy relationship! Enjoy it and good luck with getting back onto the wagon. :smile:
  • ladydianna62
    ladydianna62 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel I lost 100 pounds 20 years ago kept it off till about 5 years ago I done same thing as you got divorced got remarried to someone that loves buffets guess what I gained 85 pounds in 3 yrs I feel awful I never took a pill in my life now it's bpmeds,cholesterol meds and now metformin so I did this once I can do this again. So good luck
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote -- I recently read an article that compared staying at a healthy weight to walking down an up escalator. The moment you stop paying attention, you start to go back up.

That may just be the best analogy I have ever read on losing weight and trying to keep it off. :smile:
  • Jolinia
    Options
    lisafred24 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote -- I recently read an article that compared staying at a healthy weight to walking down an up escalator. The moment you stop paying attention, you start to go back up.

That may just be the best analogy I have ever read on losing weight and trying to keep it off. :smile:

That is a good analogy for how it feels to me. I am going to have to find a way of eating and exercising that costs me less energy and focus, regardless. It's no use being thin and fit if I'm not also living a full life because I'm concentrating on thin and fit too much.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

That is a good analogy for how it feels to me. I am going to have to find a way of eating and exercising that costs me less energy and focus, regardless. It's no use being thin and fit if I'm not also living a full life because I'm concentrating on thin and fit too much.

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure. I try not to spend more than about 5 hours per week on exercise unless I'm in training for a half marathon. I alternate running and weight lifting on weekdays and then run one day on the weekend and the other is rest day. Between full time work, part time school and a house to run I just don't have time for more and, honestly, I probably wouldn't if I did have time.

The thing to keep in mind is that exercise isn't needed for weight loss. So if your focus is more on the weight loss side, the easiest way to get more time back is to work out less. You'll just have to be a little more strict with what you're eating.
  • sharonbirnie21
    Options

3 years ago I lost 85 lbs and was working out with a trainer 3 times a week. I have NEVER felt better. Shortly after, I went through a divorce, got into a new unexpected relationship that is very happy and fulfilling. But guess what, he eats like crap. One bad dinner (bad in food choices), lead to two, lead to 3, etc. until here I sit 3 years later having gained back 60 of the 85 lbs, not working out and feeling like crap. Why? Why would I do that? Why do we yo-yo diet? Why when we feel so good and know what works do we throw it out the window and fall off the wagon? I guess that is life's question to those of us with weight issues and if I had the answer it would be my road to fame and fortune.

I received news this week from my doctor, my iron is low (low to the point of needing a prescription), my thyroid is out of whack (to the point of raising my meds for the 3rd time in a year) and now to add to my pleasure, my sugar is high. He is giving me two months of back to eating right and working out before he checks my A1C again. If it is still out of whack then Metformin it will be for me.

Sad but true that I fell off the wagon. Good thing for me I am stubborn and won't give up. My Daddy taught me when you fall of the horse (or wagon) you get up, brush yourself off and try again.

Here is to Day 1......

hey there Lisa day 3 now how you getting on. I am also a yoyo dieter and it drives me mad. Ive struggled with my weight since i was 12. We can do this together xxx
  • Jolinia
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure. I try not to spend more than about 5 hours per week on exercise unless I'm in training for a half marathon. I alternate running and weight lifting on weekdays and then run one day on the weekend and the other is rest day. Between full time work, part time school and a house to run I just don't have time for more and, honestly, I probably wouldn't if I did have time.

The thing to keep in mind is that exercise isn't needed for weight loss. So if your focus is more on the weight loss side, the easiest way to get more time back is to work out less. You'll just have to be a little more strict with what you're eating.

I'm as strict as I can be with my food already, and I feel better when I get at least an hour walk four times a week, even better if it's more days, and regardless, I think about food way too much, which also takes energy and focus.

I wonder if I should move to one of those active people states like Colorado and join a hiking and camping club of some sort. It would be social anyway!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If you fall off seven times, get back on eight times.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You did it once, you know you can do it agian! I did the same thing after I had my first baby. I lost 30 lbs and when I got to my goal weight I figured I didn't have to "diet" anymore. My weight slowly crept back up and just about the time I started trying to lose the weight again I got pregnant with my 2nd child. So here I am, 4 years later, trying to get down to my perfect weight. I'm shooting for 170, which will be a total loss of 45 pounds and I'm almost half way there already! Good Luck.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Daddy gave you good advice about picking yourself up and keeping on.
  • bigsisv
    bigsisv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We have all fallen off track. I can not count how many times it has happen to me. You have already taken the first step by admitting it. Get focus again you can do it. We all will help you.
  • mrshodge0924
    Options
    I've fell off the wagon too!!! I did weight watchers and lost over 100 pounds in less than a year and here I am and another year has passed and I am very gained about 80 of that back and I'm so mad at myself because I worked really hard. It's a lot easier to gain it back than it was to lose :s
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize this time that the key to me keeping the weight off once I reach my goal is to weigh every single day. Otherwise I convince myself I "haven't gained that much back".
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Lisa- Hope things start to feel more habitual soon- that's when things start to feel less stressful. For me I have fallen off the wagon and guilt keeps me down. I'm Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels like that- but it's hard to grapple with. As soon as we let go of what was- we can focus on what's to come! You have the tools at your fingertips! Lean on us here at mfp!
    Keep accountable keep focused on your goals! Tell everyone you love what your goals are! You can and will be healthier!
    -cheers!
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize this time that the key to me keeping the weight off once I reach my goal is to weigh every single day. Otherwise I convince myself I "haven't gained that much back".

I myself fell back in to gaining everything back plus more. i agree with you on weighing but i think what's more important to me is to weigh my food and log every day. since you mentioned diabetes and meds I feel that its a necessity especially since you have to track your carbs/macros to avoid being put on medication. your weight can stay the same but if you eat 1600 worth of pasta all day then your sugar levels will go up. (I'm guessing, I'm not a doctor, but my mother is a serious diabetic)

I've started my journey about 3 weeks or so ago and even though my husband is supportive, he does not watch his weight (you have to want to do this). I am a food lover and love to cook, so rather than eating out i do most of the cooking and i try to make things that the both of us will enjoy only my portions are weighed and tracked every day.

i hope this helps and the best of luck to you on your journey.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, but I'm starting to come around to this mantra, courtesy of Mrs Jruzer who has lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a decade or more:

"There is no wagon."

You don't get on, then off, then on again. Everything you do and eat affects your body and your health. You don't have to alternate between obsessive and blowout. Do what you need to do most of the time and don't sweat it when you indulge.