Help!? Motivation Slipping...

Options
So I've been using the app for over 4 weeks now, and despite seeing great results (I've lost 16lbs so far!) I am really struggling this week!

At first, I was loving it and feeling great, enjoyed planning my meals ahead of eating them and enjoyed noting everything down. This week... not so much! I don't know what's happened. I even ate some Birthday cake after dinner which I would not have done at the start of using this app.

I am still going to the gym, and really enjoying it, but it's my frame of mind when it comes to food that has changed this week. I need to nip it in the bud before I go back to my old ways (I am terrified to put that 16lbs back on!!)

Has anyone else experienced this? What keeps you all motivated?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Change your thinking. Motivation comes and goes. Focus on being disciplined, not motivated. People who are disciplined are successful whether they are motivated or not.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Change your thinking. Motivation comes and goes. Focus on being disciplined, not motivated. People who are disciplined are successful whether they are motivated or not.

What she said.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I second this.

PLUS, if you are losing 4 lbs a week which is a very aggressive pace, you are probably over-restricting and not eating enough. One of the reasons losing weight too fast is a problem is because you burn out quicker. So eat more and it will be easier to stay disciplined!
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Motivation is only enough to get you started. You have to keep going with determination and hopefully good habits. I used to scroll through Pinterest looking for all of the "fitspo" skinny quotes, but you really need to figure out why you're doing this for yourself. It's not easy -- if it was easy, everyone would be skinny. But you have to push through the tough weeks (they happen, such is life), and eventually the good habits will take over :smile:
  • callmeeeclaire
    callmeeeclaire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Makes sense... thank you all! I will try to change my thinking habits, I thought I was being disciplined. Perhaps not. Tomorrow's a new day (I have a friend visiting me for a long weekend... so I know that is also going to make things tougher!)

With regards to losing 4lbs per week... I have no idea how I have managed it! I lost it quickly the first two weeks, and it's slowed down to 1-2lbs. I daren't weigh myself this week, it's been a bad one!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Generally the first week or two, people lose more scale weight because they drop a lot of water weight. Then the weight loss slows to a normal pace. 1-2lbs per week is a very good loss.

You probably were being disciplined. You just have to keep it up, whether you feel like you're motivated or not.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    "Motivation is what gets you started, habit is what keeps you going" Jim Ryun

When you struggle, remember that what you're doing is creating new habits that will be with you for your life. Eventually it will become second nature.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I even ate some Birthday cake after dinner which I would not have done at the start of using this app.

I am still going to the gym, and really enjoying it, but it's my frame of mind when it comes to food that has changed this week.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Are you never, ever going to eat birthday cake again? Learning how to have things in moderation and fit them in your calorie goals is an important part of the process. I understand wanting to start out strong, but you also want to stick with this for a lifetime.
  • bear5002
    Options
    I feel you :smile: kinda having same problems but I'm only on my second week!! Doooomed
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you are being too restrictive. Worrying about eating some birthday cake one time suggests that you are. Did it put you over your calorie limit? If not, absolutely no worries. If it did, but you got right back on track, way to go! You figured out how to be successful....consistency; not perfection.

Consistency over the long term is what matters. Find an eating pattern that is reasonable and within your calorie limits. Plan ahead for the birthday cakes that will be in your future. Allow yourself treats now and again.

Understand and anticipate that you will have more weeks to come just like this....where it becomes hard to eat within your limits, hard to push yourself to exercise, hard not to fall back into old habits.

The key, for me anyway, is to not let one slip up turn into an excuse for giving up.

• ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    Same here i had great 40 days with 19 pounds lost but this week im just not feeling it i ate dounts fries shakes I don't know how to get back on track:(
  • callmeeeclaire
    callmeeeclaire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I realise that birthday cake comment is slightly ridiculous haha. I didn't add it to the app... mainly because it was home made and I would have had no idea how to note it down. The past few days have been like this for me, so much so that my was 30 day streak is now a 2 day streak!

Thank you all... means a lot that you would go out your way to comment! Everything you're saying makes total sense, this is all stuff I already know, but just need reminded of :)

• hannahckilinc
    Options
    Feel free to add me :smile:
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! One day at a time and tomorrow's a new day!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I realise that birthday cake comment is slightly ridiculous haha. I didn't add it to the app... mainly because it was home made and I would have had no idea how to note it down. The past few days have been like this for me, so much so that my was 30 day streak is now a 2 day streak!

Thank you all... means a lot that you would go out your way to comment! Everything you're saying makes total sense, this is all stuff I already know, but just need reminded of :)

Just wanted to add, even when you screw up, log it. Sometimes you will think you did awful but once you log it you will realize you actually did fine. Other times you will think it was just a small splurge and at the end of the day see that you flew right past your calorie goal. Either way, you learn more about your eating habits, which treats you can fit into a good day, and what foods or situations cause you problems. When I have something like b-day cake, I try to at least find something similar in the database to get an idea. I've had some days that resulted in lots of red numbers, but I learned from them, so it's all good :drinker:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

^^ Exactly!!!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find doing a daily cruise of the MFP forums, and spending some time on Pinterest looking at recipes or watching the Food Network really helps. Plenty of inspiration and ideas to keep me focused.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »
    Personally, I find doing a daily cruise of the MFP forums, and spending some time on Pinterest looking at recipes or watching the Food Network really helps. Plenty of inspiration and ideas to keep me focused.

I do that too. I find seeing other people do it (success thread) really motivates me.