Need to lose 30 pounds. Looking for vegetarian/vegan friends looking to get healthy

Options
I try to eat mostly a vegan diet but find I sometimes will have dairy. Tried raw for awhile but found that difficult. I find vegan difficult only in the sense that I don't always end up getting my proteins in everyday. Lots of options for plant based proteins but I don't always plan well. Would love to be friends with like minded people that have either figured this way of eating out and make it seem easy or those with similar challenges and want to support each other's goals.

Replies

• AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome,

Feel free to add me - my diary is open and although I am not a vegetarian, I eat Vege MOST days.

You can probably see the foods I choose - I regularly hit 200g protein a day :)
  • AntonioP23
    Options
    p.s. to supplement your protein intake you may need to look into getting a protein powder
  • shamedian848
    shamedian848 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello dear . If you want to follow vegan diet you can use protein powders . These are suitable for vegan and provide enough protein for a day . You can mixed it with milk or water and drink it before sleep.
  • mizmichele
    mizmichele Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use vega for the most part but still don't feel like I'm getting enough. Maybe I need to make a larger smoothie.
  • AntonioP23
    Options
    Beans and Quinoa are your friend :)
  • MustangIslandMermaid
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 8 years. This has caused me some medical trouble as I ate way too much soy! Now I am on the Nutrisystem vegetarian plan, which has given me some different options for a while. I've lost 18 pounds and 19 inches in this first four weeks. I'd love to support each other, although I have way more to lose than you...125 to go. I'm this way because of sweet tea and Dr. Pepper, both of which I quit 4 weeks ago. Add me if you'd like.
  • lizzb0
    lizzb0 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 4 years now, and eat mostly vegan aside from organic, cage free eggs. Anybody please free to add me! I have an open diary:) Reached my first goal weight today actually, but looking to lose the last 5 pounds, and then maintain. I've researched a lot on how much protein I should eat daily, and have found that even though I eat about 1/4 of the reccommended amount, I feel lighter and more energized. But obviously it's different for everyone. I have a tendency to build muscle and since I'm a professional ballet dancer, I eat less protein to stay more lean. Hope this helps somehow!
  • PerkyPigtails
    PerkyPigtails Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. I've been a vegetarian for....lets just say a really really really long time (just celebrated my birthday & showing my age). Feel free to add me. My goal was to lose 80 lbs & I'm down about 45 so far. :)
  • sumextrainfo
    Options
    Hi! I try to keep a high protein diet because I run track and train year round for triathlons and need muscle and less fat. My best friend is a vegetarian too, so I've learned to avoid meat despite it being high in protein. As a substitute I eat quinoa which is definitely packed in protein. My breakfast is usually yogurt. I pour in almonds and it's amazing. Nuts are a good source of protein and so is yogurt. I also recommend peanut butter (reduced fat would be best). If you're dedicated, go for almond butter!
    If you make sure to keep a consistent workout, the protein will definitely help in losing unnecessary fat and replace it with muscle... Idk if that's what you're going for though since muscle is heavier than fat. It tones you though so you'd lose inches, but not always inches
    As others said, protein powder in shakes is great. My coaches don't advise drinking protein smoothies to replace meals though. It's good for breakfast or to drink after exercise. But don't drink it everyday instead of lunch and dinner.

Also, here's a link to 3 great quinoa recipes! I'm more of a fan of the first two. :)
    http://youtu.be/TnmjmHUUxsY

Good luck!
  • kbeard26
    kbeard26 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »

He's right. beans and quinoa are your friends. Also get some nutritional yeast. I'm not a fan of vegan protein powders only because the ones I've had in the past tasted had an sandpaper after taste. I rather eat raw veggies. Also I'm not a fan of the soy products. Occasionally I will eat but healthier to eat veggies. How many grams of protein do you think you're eating? Most people consume enough protein. Even those veggies have protein.

• mizmichele
    Options
    AntonioP23 I sent you a friend request.
    kbeard26 wrote: »
    AntonioP23 wrote: »

He's right. beans and quinoa are your friends. Also get some nutritional yeast. I'm not a fan of vegan protein powders only because the ones I've had in the past tasted had an sandpaper after taste. I rather eat raw veggies. Also I'm not a fan of the soy products. Occasionally I will eat but healthier to eat veggies. How many grams of protein do you think you're eating? Most people consume enough protein. Even those veggies have protein.

• mizmichele
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • MissPhalange
    MissPhalange Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow plant-eater!

You may find the articles/books by doctors McDougall and Fuhrman interesting. They teach that there is protein in everything and you will get plenty just by eating a whole-foods plant-based diet.
  • neharke011
    Options
    Add me too...