Trying to gain weight

Options
hi
I've been using this app to try and help me gain weight without much luck, I'm currently 7st 7lbs and hoping to gain 1 stone,
So looking for some advise, I eat over 2070 calories a day as this app recommends for my Wanted weight gain, but I can gain maybe 2/3 lbs on but can't keep it on, I've had my thyroid check and that's fine,
Be great full for any help / recommendations

Replies

• type1caveman
    type1caveman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Assuming all your health is ok and safe to do so - the easiest way to gain weight is eat a diet rich in carbs and fat. Probably the most enjoyable diet known to man!
  • shelcro
    Options
    Id love to be in your position xD eat cake. And soda, go to buffets. Stretch your stomach bit by bit (take two more bites past full) and soon you'll be able to eat more!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would add in some serious smoothies. Do you like almond milk? Try one small banana, 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, a tbs of peanut butter. Its so yummy. Also you can add nuts to your meals. I love thai food and love to add peanut butter sauce and roasted nuts to everything. Maybe try bumping up to 2200-2400 for a while and see what happens.
  • leesalou83
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I'm a fussy eater, I don't like peanut butter, bananas make me sick, and o don't eat fish, I do love cake though lol.
    I've not tried almond milk so I'll give that a go, Yep my health is all good i have tired the carbs,
    I've also try to drink a litre of full fat milk or milkshake, say when you look on line it's mainly for people wanted to gain muscle, I've always struggled with my weight, It says on here to eat 2090 a day and it's pretty hard to eat that amount of food,but I do do it,
    What foods are high in carbs??
  • elaineshuter
    elaineshuter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What kind of thing do you currently eat? I'm sure you don't want to just gain fat which is what will happen if you increase calories with cake and sugar. I know you said you didn't want to gain muscle but if you lift some weights it will increase your appetite and if you fill up on the right kinds of wholesome nutritious food you will gain weight without gaining fat. I am around the same weight as you and eat over 2000 cals a day, add me as a friend if you want some ideas xx
  • leesalou83
    Options
    I just want to gain a stone and put on a dress size to a size 10, I did get to that once when I gave up smoking for 3 years, and stupidly started again but I am giving up again slowly,
    I don't just eat cake & sugary things, but I am the worlds fussiest eater.
    I eat mainly chicken breast or beef, with either roast potatoes /mash and veg,
    I don't always have breakfast as I can't eat first thing in the morning but I have 2 yoghurt drinks instead then have my breakfast at 11, I take multi vitamins with iron as I read they help but I stopped yesterday taking them as I read somewhere else they don't,
    I shall have to invest In some weighs and do some weighs each day,
    Thanks for you help
  • leesalou83
    Options
    What kind of thing do you currently eat? I'm sure you don't want to just gain fat which is what will happen if you increase calories with cake and sugar. I know you said you didn't want to gain muscle but if you lift some weights it will increase your appetite and if you fill up on the right kinds of wholesome nutritious food you will gain weight without gaining fat. I am around the same weight as you and eat over 2000 cals a day, add me as a friend if you want some ideas xx

I can't figure out to add you? :/
  • Vickyannolson
    Vickyannolson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and look for ensure shakes or carnations instant breakfast or some other kind of premade nutrition shakes. My little sister had to gain 15 lbs. She tried and tried, eating everything but could not keep the weight on. I'm a nurse and used to work in the nutrition department and ensure shakes are what we used for geriatric and cancer and burn patients because they have good nutrients and are high in calories. I introduced my sister to them and she LOVED them. She drank like two to three a day and gained the weight in a month when she'd been trying and failing to gain the weight for quite a long time:-) good luck!
  • leesalou83
    Options
    Thank you I'll have a wee look for them
  • ErnManBiker
    Options
    That'll do it, just stop smoking. Hang in there. I'm in the same boat except that my vice is 200-250 miles a week on the bike. This season I want to maintain 165-170 instead of dropping down to 152 like I did last year.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat anything special. Just eat enough to hit your calorie goal. You should eat about 500 calories over your maintenance calories (to gain about a pound a week). Eat the foods you need to get there. And don't feel bad about piece of cake if it fits in your goals and you're mostly eating nutrient dense food.