Help with breakfast! Steel cut oat recipes desired

Options
Beldenstewart
Beldenstewart Posts: 1 Member
I don't eat breakfast and I know that's not good....I get that! Everything I read says use the steel cut oats but I have NO CLUE what to do with them. Crock pot? Cook and sit, soak...grrr.

I love oatmeal and try to eat it a few times each week in the a.m. but its the quick cooking, minute in the nuke, brown sugar variety...kinda boring. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to liven this up? I bought steel cut oats...they're in the cabinet! I know where they are!!! But what the heck do I do with them now?!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you like cold breakfasts refrigerator oatmeal rocks.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why eat steel cut oats? They all have the same macros. They're all complex carbs. They're all processed. My opinion they're too much of a pain to cook. I eat oats every morning and have been for 2 yrs. I take a cup of old fashioned rolled oats. 1 cup of milk or substitute cook in microwave for 2:00. Put 1 scoop (30g) of vanilla protein powder 1 cup of frozen strawberries and some strawberry sweetener. Take it to work and eat it or prep it the night before and let it set in the fridge over night. Have it first thing in the morning. Very good. Oatmeal is versatile I've got soooooo many recipes
  • allenbrowning
    Options
    U can also blend the steel cut oats up and make oat flour just to get rid of them then go buy old fashioned oats. I use oat flour instead of all purpose flour.
  • allenbrowning
    Options
    studibel wrote: »
    I don't eat breakfast and I know that's not good....I get that! Everything I read says use the steel cut oats but I have NO CLUE what to do with them. Crock pot? Cook and sit, soak...grrr.

I love oatmeal and try to eat it a few times each week in the a.m. but its the quick cooking, minute in the nuke, brown sugar variety...kinda boring. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to liven this up? I bought steel cut oats...they're in the cabinet! I know where they are!!! But what the heck do I do with them now?!!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why eat steel cut oats? They all have the same macros. They're all complex carbs. They're all processed. My opinion they're too much of a pain to cook. I eat oats every morning and have been for 2 yrs. I take a cup of old fashioned rolled oats. 1 cup of milk or substitute cook in microwave for 2:00. Put 1 scoop (30g) of vanilla protein powder 1 cup of frozen strawberries and some strawberry sweetener. Take it to work and eat it or prep it the night before and let it set in the fridge over night. Have it first thing in the morning. Very good. Oatmeal is versatile I've got soooooo many recipes
    Are macros the only consideration?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like the steel cut oats. For me, they're easier overall, especially since they re-heat. I cook them, stovetop, in the evening, and then, using my food scale, weigh out three portions.

1 cup oats, 4 cups water.
    Bring water to a boil, add oats.
    Reduce heat to a medium-low boil; cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
    Reduce heat to a simmer, cook, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes.
    Let cool.

This is supposed to make 4 portions, but I find I really only get three servings.

I get three identical containers (the plastic Ball one-cup freezer glasses), zero out my scale with one of the containers on the scale, and divide the oatmeal between the three containers. I get about 250/g per serving, as I recall. Cover and refrigerate.

Here's the awesome part:

I bring one container to work. Empty into a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 T water; microwave for 2 minutes. Add 2 T half and half, and 1/2 cup blueberries.

That's my late-morning breakfast.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    studibel wrote: »

For breakfast I usually eat "Haferflocken rolled oat flakes" I just boil them with water for 3-4 min 100 gr and eat them with somefruit (no milk) and maybe 1 tablespoon pine honey or put more water in them and blend them with bananas and dates or figs and coconat sugar.
  • allenbrowning
    Options

Depending on the ingredients u use. The proats I make are around 550-600 cal around 12g fat, 75g carb, 50g protein
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1cup steel cut oats, 4 cups milk or almond milk in a small crockpot on low makes 4 servings. I turn mine on when I go to bed and they're ready to eat in the morning. Just portion them out. You can add in a little Sugar in the Raw or dried fruit (raisins, craisins, chopped dates, chopped apricots) or chopped up Apple. Add in cinnamon if you like that. Sprinkle sliced almonds or chopped pecans on top. You can reheat a serving with 1/2 cup more milk. You can make it in a rice cooker in a few hours or you can simmer it on the stove in 20-30 minutes. You need to stir it now then on the stove and use a good size pan so it doesn't boil over. Without the fruit and with almond milk, it's about 240 calories for 1/4 of the recipe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Depending on the ingredients u use. The proats I make are around 550-600 cal around 12g fat, 75g carb, 50g protein

• allenbrowning
    Options

? I always consider my macros. Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I made steel cut oats ONCE. I don't have patience for that. But I made it with hard boiled egg, red cabbage, tomato, and salt I believe and loved it.
  • mariec123
    mariec123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I enjoy steel cut oats with cinnamon and blueberries or just cinnamon. Make a batch that will last you for a few mornings. They reheat really well in the microwave. Steel cut oats don't get pasty like rolled oats. They stay creamy with a nice chew to them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Is that THE ONLY THING people should consider?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I made steel cut oats ONCE. I don't have patience for that. But I made it with hard boiled egg, red cabbage, tomato, and salt I believe and loved it.
    If I'm going to have them i put them on low, go have my shower, get dressed, and boom, they are ready. Not hard at all.

• jenn_ed
    jenn_ed Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats - I make a batch every few days in my slow cooker. This recipe is my personal favourite:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-apple-pie-steel-cut-oatmeal/

It smells incredible, it's like waking up to freshly baked apple pie!
  • Headtothemountains
    Options
    I do oatmeal (1/4 c) with a cup of frozen blueberries (super cheap at Coscto if you have one), 1/2 tblspn shredded coconut, flax seed for the fats, and then I season with nutmeg and cloves, sometimes walnuts on top. I love it!
  • allenbrowning
    Options
    Man, all these recipes sound good!
  • allenbrowning
    Options

Is that THE ONLY THING people should consider?

If you're monitoring your calories and care about having balance in your meal plan then YES you could consider paying attention to your macros. Otherwise how would you know what you're eating? But, if you're just worried about staying within a calorie range then it doesn't really matter. I make sure I have the proper amount of protein to repair muscle fibers after hypertrophy training, I make sure to have an optimal amount of healthy fats for proper hormone balance and have simple/complex carbs for fuel while staying within my caloric surplus range for growth
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I use a rice cooker to do my steel-cut oats. Easy peasy, ready for me when I wake up in the morning. For me, I prefer the texture/flavour vs rolled oats.

I do mine up with a wee bit of butter and demerera sugar, sometimes peanut butter, sometimes honey and blueberries, but all yummo!