Best protein bars and protein powder for weight loss

Options
I just joined MFP and just started working out and eating right. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by June. I am trying to work on developing lean muscle but I am trying to figure out foods,powder and bars with high protein content. Tips? Also....when is it best to eat lots of protein,before,after workout?

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've tried every protein powder and the best one is Aloha its Vegan (Vanilla flavor) it only has 18g of protein per serving however it taste so Amazing with almond milk & you can still have a good breakfast with the shake.

I don't intake protein shakes as much as I use too, I just started using the aloha and im addicted however, I rather get all my protein sources through food.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! They're delicious and filling.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein. Around 120 calories for a rounded scoop and tastes great!
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    mwapem wrote: »
    I just joined MFP and just started working out and eating right. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by June. I am trying to work on developing lean muscle but I am trying to figure out foods,powder and bars with high protein content. Tips? Also....when is it best to eat lots of protein,before,after workout?

MYPROTEIN 100 cal 1.5g fat 0 carb 20g protein per 25g scoop. 5 lbs $60 shipped
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

My favorite protein bars are Quest-Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, S'Mores, & Cookies & Cream. I am pretty sure I also liked the Brownie too.

I also like Atkins Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    six star whey protein cookies and cream!!! before or after is okay.. some say after, some say before
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    the "pure protein" ones seem to have the most protein for the fewest calories. They are a bit smaller, but from a macro standpoint it makes sense. You get the same 20g of protein they all seem to have, but without having to sacrifice all that much in the way of calories. IMHO power bars taste the best, but that's obviously just my opinion.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    I've tried every protein powder and the best one is Aloha its Vegan (Vanilla flavor) it only has 18g of protein per serving however it taste so Amazing with almond milk & you can still have a good breakfast with the shake.

I don't intake protein shakes as much as I use too, I just started using the aloha and im addicted however, I rather get all my protein sources through food.

Where could I buy this protein powder?
  • lkong978
    lkong978 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quest bars cookies and cream. Yummy and convenient
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    the "pure protein" ones seem to have the most protein for the fewest calories. They are a bit smaller, but from a macro standpoint it makes sense. You get the same 20g of protein they all seem to have, but without having to sacrifice all that much in the way of calories. IMHO power bars taste the best, but that's obviously just my opinion.

I believe quest bars have less calories? I thought all the pure protein bars had a minimum of 200 calories. It's been awhile though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are between 160-170 calories. High protein and fibre and super yummy, especially when you microwave them for 8ish seconds
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Keep in mind when you are losing fat, you are only looking to really maintain the muscle you have, as you cannot develop very much (if any) on a calorie deficit. Still, you are on the right track on wanting to watch your protein intake as it will aid you in maintaining your muscle mass.
  • Yahlokis
    Yahlokis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely Quest Bars. They're really tasty and work well as a post-exercise snack.