Vitamin D... I am so energized!

Options
I read somewhere (maybe on this site somewhere) that vitamin D was very important. I know I read that it would help with depression, which I suffer from, but I also read that you need it if you don't get out in the sunshine alot. I don't know exactly but I am going to google it and see exactly what I come up with. When I went out last wednesday I picked up some and started taking it the next day. I think it is exactly what I have been missing. I usually have to take a nap, or two, everyday because I don't have any energy. Usually I am having to absolutely just make myself do any little thing that needs to be done. I wasn't sleeping good at night and I really just spent everyday feeling like a zombie. :yawn:

I hadn't even really thought anything about it until today but saturday & sunday were both nap free for me:) I didn't even miss taking a nap! And I was very active, especially compared to my usual routine. Today I have been up since 6:30am and haven't even wanted to take a nap. My energy level is insane! I have cleaned house all day and I still have plenty of energy left to play with my daughter when she gets home from school. I am so excited about feeling so good...who would've thought that tinsy little vitamin D pill could do all that?! :flowerforyou:

I just really wanted to put this out there so if there are others that have problems with depression and/or low energy...maybe you are lacking vitamin D. :drinker:

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have a doctor appointment today to discuss my lab tests and one of the things he's concerned about are my vitamin D levels. I don't know much about this but I will get back to you with some info after I see him this afternoon.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    Thank you! I suffer from low iron and it hurts my energy levels, I`ll try taking some vitamin D as well now!
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    I have a doctor appointment today to discuss my lab tests and one of the things he's concerned about are my vitamin D levels. I don't know much about this but I will get back to you with some info after I see him this afternoon.

thanks...i would love to hear what you find out! feel free to add me if you need friends:)
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    Thank you! I suffer from low iron and it hurts my energy levels, I`ll try taking some vitamin D as well now!

i really hope it helps you:)
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is very low in a lot of people now!! I really should take some as well. I've been up and down emotionally and exhausted. I keep thinking "take Vit. D" then I forget...

I'm glad that you're feeling so good!!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have been taking during the winter months and it really does help alot!! I haven't taken any lately since the weather broke but have been tired so I will be taking some as soon as I get home!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    D is supposed to be good for bone and dental health.
    i started taking it last november... i also struggle with winter depression (S.A.D.?) and i was amazed to find myself, as you said, energized this last winter. that NEVER happens!!
    i felt so much better, emotionally, and just wanted to be more active too.
    i mentioned this to my Dr, how much differently i had been feeling and all (at that time) that i had done differently was add vit D to my eating, he was sceptical that it would make such a difference BUT he also said if it works, keep taking it *L*
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Just for an FYI, watch your dosage as it does have a toxicity level, and the effects aren't pretty.
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I get kinda down in the winter (live in Ohio and winter seems to drag on and on :) ) Sounds like vitamin d may be right up my alley too!! How much do you take??
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is amazing and its so easy to be low in it! B12 is another that will help with energy if you are tired all the time, I take both.
  • soon2blollar
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this post. I just moved from California last June to Colorado. Since this winter I have just really low energy and my depression seems to creep up a lot more now. I was wondering if I was lacking Vitamin D especially since I don't get the sunshine I was raised with. I'm gonna pick some up and see if it helps. Thanks so much! I just love MFP....you find everything on here. Oh! Any idea what a good amount to take is? I'm 5'5" and 187lbs. Thanks all =)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 iu of Vitamin D daily. Have been for years...Living in the northern hemisphere, I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder largely attributable to not getting enough daylight.

During winter, there are days where I don't get to see the sun at all (my office has a little bidy window blocked by a staircase and looking at a warehouse 15 feet away. The sun rises after I get to work and sets before I go home. Bottom line, I need the vitamin D and don't get much of it from the sun.

That being said, since I started taking the Vitamin D, I haven't required Antidepressants either. There are numerous other health gains from taking Vitamin D (reduced risk Colorectal cancer, helps prevent Ostepoerosis etc)

Here are a couple of CBC links with some info on Vitamin D.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2008/05/16/f-health-vitamin-d.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2010/10/01/f-vitamin-d-faq.html
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just for an FYI, watch your dosage as it does have a toxicity level, and the effects aren't pretty.

The toxicity isn't an issue unless you start taking something like 5000 IUs or more a day, but it's good to keep in mind.

I take 1000 IU in pill form every day, and I also have some Vitamin D drops that go under the tongue (400 IU a drop I think?). They taste like lemon meringue pie, mmm.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes...When I was having problems with energy and went to my doctor complaining about it, she did a blood work on me. My Vit D levels were 14, normal is around 30 minimum. I took Vitamin D 1000 IU and didn't see any difference. Then I talk to a different doctor who recommended 5000 IU. I went to Whole Foods and bought a bottle of it, and I feel 10x better than when I don't have it. Glad to know its working for you!
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I get kinda down in the winter (live in Ohio and winter seems to drag on and on :) ) Sounds like vitamin d may be right up my alley too!! How much do you take??

400 IU is what is says on the bottle, but i don't know what the IU stands for. it says 1 a day is 100% for the day:)
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this post. I just moved from California last June to Colorado. Since this winter I have just really low energy and my depression seems to creep up a lot more now. I was wondering if I was lacking Vitamin D especially since I don't get the sunshine I was raised with. I'm gonna pick some up and see if it helps. Thanks so much! I just love MFP....you find everything on here. Oh! Any idea what a good amount to take is? I'm 5'5" and 187lbs. Thanks all =)

400 IU is what is says on the bottle, but i don't know what the IU stands for. it says 1 a day is 100% for the day:)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    IU = International Units.... its a measurement of "potency"

Recommended varies from who you listen to... but like I said, 2000 works for me. I have heard of others getting 5000...

According to Wikipedia (take it for what its worth...) Toxicity for an normal adult is anything over 50,000 IU sustained over several months... i.e. You would need to ingest a substantial amount to be anywhere near toxic.

You can read the entire article here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D
  • lisamarie1227
    Options

Recommended varies from who you listen to... but like I said, 2000 works for me. I have heard of others getting 5000...

According to Wikipedia (take it for what its worth...) Toxicity for an normal adult is anything over 50,000 IU sustained over several months... i.e. You would need to ingest a substantial amount to be anywhere near toxic.

thanks for the information! now i'm sitting here thinking "why is 400iu doing so much for me when it don't sound like a whole lot compared to what others are taking".
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

thanks for the information! now i'm sitting here thinking "why is 400iu doing so much for me when it don't sound like a whole lot compared to what others are taking".

You just dont need that much...everyone is different!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Think I could do with some of this :smile: so pleased its working for you Lisa xx