Weightlifting & Cardio

Options
Does anyone have some good routines for weightlifting and cardio that work. I have bad knees and I have to avoid squats and lunges.

Replies

• fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    try this one...
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/beginner-weight-lifting-routines.html
    or the one i'm doing..
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/5_day_beginner_workout.html leg day has squats.. however you probably substite it for something else.. or remove sqautes entirely..
  • allen_pauley
    allen_pauley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks
  • detholman
    detholman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Allen, Working around knee leg problems is kinda of my specialty now since I have had my knee go out of place while in the military and from being shot while I was on the sheriff's dept. you can eventually be able to squat and do lunges if you build the muscle up. May take a little while but it can be done, I have done it. Not knowing what program you are doing, or what you want to accomplish its hard to recommend a program. But for your knees, start walking either on a treadmill or outside or ride a stationary bike. Also do so leg extentions and leg curls and do not forget your calves. A way to strengthen the muscle around the knee cap area is to place your legs straight out in front of you with your toes pointed up and flex your thigh muscles and hold for a few seconds then release. this can be done while you are laying in bed or on the couch watching tv. There are many exercises out there where you can work a injured area without doing the usual exercises. As far a upper body exercises, have you been lifting or are you just starting? I can give you a sarting program but I do not know what you are able to lift for a weight start. and it depends on what you want to do also. If you want to build or tone? One or the other is a different rep program. Also do you go to a gym or do you workout at home. If at home what kind of equipment do you have? Without knowing what you have avaiable I can not really recommend a program for you. Let me know what you have available and I will recommend a good starter program. I am not a certified trainer but I have been into physical fitness for many years and I have written and been published Physical fitness articles. So just let me know and I will help you out anyway I can.
  • allen_pauley
    Options
    We seem to have a few things in common. I also was in the military I was an MP. I then was a police officer when I first got out and that's when I first injured my knee. I go to a gym I have been working out since December. However, I have always worked out but just started weightlifting. I am 6' 2" 180 and I want to lose 10lbs. I want to tone up, gain some muscle. I am open to any suggestions.
  • talprofs
    talprofs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Allen (OP): It seems to me that at 6'2“ and 180lbs, you are on the money in terms of a good weight for your height.
    "I am 6' 2" 180 and I want to lose 10lbs. I want to tone up, gain some muscle. I am open to any suggestions.

In terms of your goals, I would suggest that you thinkmore in terms of trying to reduce your body fat rather than your weight. MFP has an excellent community forum/group 'Eat, Train, Progress' which offers some helpful advice in this regard and also in terms of weight-lifting routines.

Otherwise, @dethoman's advice above is very-well put.

Finally, I would recommend consulting an osteopath for an assessment of your knee injury (treatmentif require) and professional health advice on rehabilitation.

I have had various lower-back and shoulder injuries in my time, but had excellent advice and treatment from an osteopath which enabled me to resume training.
  • shiningnow
    shiningnow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was wondering if anybody could recommend any type of beginning program for Strenth training and weight loss? I am 6'1, 364 and trying to get down to about 220. I lost a significant amount of weight before, years ago - just doing cardio basically. I'm back to it now and started a month ago doing weights and cardio. I've read that muscle burns fat so I am trying to build muscle while losing weight. I drink a post workout whey protein shake after each workouts. I just want to make sure I am doing all of this the right way. All suggestions are welcomed and would be greatly appreciated?

My current routine consists of:

Mon-Fri alternating weight lifting and cardio days (3days cardio / 2days weights)
    Cardio: 20mins Treadmill
    10mins Elliptical/Skier

Weights: Bicep curls 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Dumbbell chest press 3 sets 6-8 reps

Thanks
  • allen_pauley
    Options
    Talprofs thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated. I will check out those blogs and I have seeked advice about my knees from a professional.