I thought I could do this...but I am struggling.

This is so ridiculous. Why is this so hard for me? I don't understand why I just can't do this and get it done. I struggle every minute of every day. I feel like I am doomed to be this way for the rest of my life. Something has to give!

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    You haven't DECIDED to do it yet. You feel like you are doomed to be this way, so why try? Once you DECIDE to do something about it, not only will you do it, but you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is. It's that simple. Make the decision and sail.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Your diary is private but in general to those struggling I have the following suggestions.

Do you have your calorie deficit set at a reasonable level? If you're trying for 2lbs a week or only eating 1200 calories you can be unnecessarily struggling.

Do you eat enough filling foods? A lot of the diet foods can leave you feeling hungry. For example - I hate 100 calorie snack packs. They do NOTHING to fill me up and then I'm just hangry.

Are you being too restrictive? If you cut out all your favorite things you'll be miserable.

And sometimes it just sucks. Just keep going. If you quit you will never accomplish what you want.
  • hey_katt
    hey_katt Posts: 18 Member
    Also maybe try to measure your success in s.m.a.r.t. ways/goals. By that I mean the scale doesn't always show how much effort you've really put in.
    For instance, set a goal of drinking x amount of water or unsweetened tea every single day.
    Or set a goal of eating a portion of veg or fruit with every meal.

In your profile you say you want to be healthy. That also includes a bit of excercise. A good goal would be to go for a walk 3x a week for 30 mins or round the block, etc.

I felt exactly like you until a couple of days ago and now that I've completely changed my focus it feels and is really easy to lose weight and work out.

Feel free to add me as a friend if all of that was too vague for you. ; )
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    You didn't put the weight on over night and won't lose it that way. Not everyday is going to be easy but don't beat yourself up over it. You have to walk before you can run. My suggestion is start w a weekly goal and add on a new goal every week. Example... More water week one then add more fruits and veggies the next week. You can do anything you put your mind too:) think positive. Maybe your changing your life style to fast. We are all here to help:) good luck to you on this journey.
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    That is how I always felt until I decided to 100% commit to this. I joined a gym to make sure I don't give up. That's a year long contract and I'm not going to let $30/month go to waste! Smartest move I ever made. Also, I learned how to really, really use MFP. I learned about calorie deficits, how to weigh my food, where to find good advice, and started surrounding myself with mfp friends to motivate and encourage me (through the app mean). Lastly, I realized this isn't a race and I don't have to lose weight as quickly as possible. My calorie budget is 1940 a day, higher on workout days. I'm not starving for once in my life while trying to lose weight. I feel in control. And I am actually losing weight. Idk what exactly is discouraging you, but I've been in that hopeless place. Claw your way out of there if you have to.
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    *through the app I mean* is what that should say
  • VEelliott
    VEelliott Posts: 106 Member
    This is so ridiculous. Why is this so hard for me? I don't understand why I just can't do this and get it done. I struggle every minute of every day. I feel like I am doomed to be this way for the rest of my life. Something has to give!

This is exactly how I feel today!!! I am so depressed after going to the doctor and after 30 days of eating right (I thought) and exercising. I have gained weight!!! I have not worked out once this week because I am so down on myself which makes me feel worse!!! Why can't I lose weight.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    ...but you ARE doing it. You've lost 24lbs already. That's proof you can do it. Now, do you want it bad enough? That's the question you have to ask yourself. You are perfectly capable. Reach way down and find that drive girl. You got this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How many habits are you trying to change at once? You might feel overwhelmed for very good reasons.

Weight loss is not about lack of information. If that were so, the information generation would be the healthiest ever. Radical and permanent change comes with habit change, which is one step in front of the other, one new habit implemented after the other.

Twenty-four pounds lost is impressive. What sorts of changes in your health and your mobility have you noticed with that loss?

Which new habits have become your new normal, and which ones do you struggle with?
  • jaykal001
    jaykal001 Posts: 24 Member
    NikkyT30 wrote: »
    You didn't put the weight on over night and won't lose it that way. Not everyday is going to be easy but don't beat yourself up over it. You have to walk before you can run. My suggestion is start w a weekly goal and add on a new goal every week. Example... More water week one then add more fruits and veggies the next week. You can do anything you put your mind too:) think positive. Maybe your changing your life style to fast. We are all here to help:) good luck to you on this journey.

This was me too. I saw a dietician - and she told me to eat more fruit, and cut some of the junk. She never once said cut it all tomorrow. I let things get out of control in the past, and have been reeling it back in week by week. The only thing i've truly cut out hard is soda. I stopped that cold, but the rest - if i have a bad day, it's just one. suck it up and try again tomorrow!
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    VEelliott wrote: »

This is exactly how I feel today!!! I am so depressed after going to the doctor and after 30 days of eating right (I thought) and exercising. I have gained weight!!! I have not worked out once this week because I am so down on myself which makes me feel worse!!! Why can't I lose weight.

Don't give up guys! Just take it one day at a time. I also gained weight in the beginning from building up muscle, but slowly the pounds are starting to come off now.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

You can do it!!
  • annieo19732014
    annieo19732014 Posts: 56 Member
    I saw this programme the other day and learnt this......When you start to lose fat as you have,(Welldone on the 24LB) your body works against you!! It sends your brain messages to try and get you to eat more!! as your body begins to worry that you will lose more and more!! Its those messages that you are allowing yourself to listen too!! Think of yourself in the 3rd person!! what would you say to someone who was trying to jeopardise your happiness!! xx
  • I feel that way sometimes. I want it gone now. But it took me months to put on so it will take me months to lose. What keeps me motivated versus struggling is to chart. I chart steps, work out, calories etc. When I see how much I have accomplished I feel more motivated to do it even better. I also give myself goals. One week it might be walk 30 miles, another week it might be 3 times strength training ( that is what I hate and DO NOT want to do). Another goal might be to dance while cleaning and listen to loud music. Silly little things. I also set a goal to park my car far away. Get a step tracker for your phone and keep track of the steps. 10000 are recommended and I get all happy when I go way over and do more... Hope this helps. Sometimes we need to trick our mind :)
    Kerstin
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Ease yourself into it. Baby steps. I know when I've felt overwhelmed in the past like you do now, it's because I was trying to do too much too fast. Suddenly I would try to change everything and restrict certain foods and exercise when I didn't before. It was overwhelming and never worked. I would always quit. Start out by making smaller changes. Maybe eat how you have been, but track everything to get an idea of where you were at calorie wise. Sometimes that's fun to do just to make you realize how many calories you are consuming. Most people have no idea. Then adjust portions from there until you are within a deficit. I wouldn't set yourself to lose more than a pound a week to start, maybe even set it to .5 pounds. Either way, you will still be heading in the right direction but will have more calories to work with. Don't consider certain foods off limits or think that you have to eat special foods to lose weight. You don't. And once you realize this, it can take a lot of that overwhelming feeling away. It's freeing knowing that you can eat what you want and still lose weight. Just make sure you are eating at a deficit, and weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you eat so that you have accurate logging. And check the accuracy of any nutrition facts of food listings you take from the database. There are a lot of wrong entries saved there. If later you decide you want to eliminate certain foods, then you can choose to do so, but just realize you don't have to to start out and it will be easier to ease yourself in if you don't. Good luck. :)