Healthy lifestyle for Dummies!

Options
I am your typical health dumby! I don't cook, I don't count calories, I don't work out: I have NO idea what I am doing!

I was living aimlessly eating whatever, whenever and it is finally catching up to me.

I am your typical foodie: the thought of not eating macaroni and cheese LITERALLY scares me.

I am not yet at the point where I need to cut out everything delicious, just need some pointers on how to start implementing healthier choices into my diet and lifestyle without it being something that leaves me running in the opposite directions.

Any healthy food pointers that are still yummy enough to cure a salt/sweet craving whenever one strikes? Also, easy workouts to ease myself into excercising at least 30 minutes per day?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    There is never a point where you need to cut out everything delicious. CICO, just eat a bit less of everything you eat now.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My first two things i started with- drinking water alot (never thought i could drink water with meals- its not so bad) and walking. Thats a great start. Also, track everything here. Just so youll know in the future. It really helped jumpstart me.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mmcgu002 wrote: »
    I am your typical health dumby! I don't cook, I don't count calories, I don't work out: I have NO idea what I am doing!

I was living aimlessly eating whatever, whenever and it is finally catching up to me.

I am your typical foodie: the thought of not eating macaroni and cheese LITERALLY scares me.

I am not yet at the point where I need to cut out everything delicious, just need some pointers on how to start implementing healthier choices into my diet and lifestyle without it being something that leaves me running in the opposite directions.

Any healthy food pointers that are still yummy enough to cure a salt/sweet craving whenever one strikes? Also, easy workouts to ease myself into excercising at least 30 minutes per day?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So you eat at restaurants a lot?

It's basically true for most that going for higher protein and fat and fiber content = being fuller on less. So if there's a choice between a salad without quinoa and one with, maybe pick the one with. Try to get dressing on the side.

In general, grilled chicken or salmon salad (dressing on the side) is an easy go-to if you can't figure out what else to get.

Don't eat the free bread/appies - save your calories for the meal. Don't drink your calories, either (one glass of wine, ok)

Pasta/Italian food: go for tomato-based vs. cream sauces, go easy on the parm. If you're served a lot (more than say 1.5 cups of pasta - getting to at least eyeball portions will be important), take some home with you. Probably say no to foccaccia bread, or just have one half.

Indian food: get tandoori, dry stuff, not so much the sauces. Get rice OR naan. Thai food: also no curries (avoid coconut-based sauces), again go for the grilled stuff. Curries in general: probably not.

Diner-style food: aaah... it's hard to make substitutions, so just eat it and make up for it before or afterward, or don't have it at all.

Mexican: burrito bowl if it's an option; hold the guac; stay light on cheese and rice, eat not too many chips

Desserts: stick to things mostly made of fruit

Coffees: don't have like three pimped-out coffees in one day. Have one normal coffee (cream, sugar, whatever you want, small - 12-oz size though) in the morning and green tea or a more moderate coffee later.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The absolute best advice i can give you is to learn how to cook. It takes awhile if you have no idea what you're doing, but there are tons of recipes on tons of sites, and you can make anything you want and any substitutions you want....and the sense of accomplishment is great!

And walking is a great start. Although if you're where i am and it's freezing out, honestly just walking around the house for 5 or 10 minutes at a time every hour or two can really add up.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Try to get your plate to look like this
    HEPApr2013-1024x800.jpg

and familiarize yourself with this

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/multimedia/portion-control/sls-20076148
  • cdrockylady
    cdrockylady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SIMPLEST advice anyone can ever give you for starting out Just pair a protein + a complex carbohydrate at every meal. Start with anything you like that is a protein and a complex carb combo. For instance, apple and peanut butter, or yogurt and granola. It doesn't matter at first, just get in the habit of pairing the two. Eat these combos more frequently, say every couple hours.

THEN - when that is easy, slowly make your protein + complex carbs choices more and more healthy as you get used to it. i.e. organic and whole grain, more natural, simple meats or eggs and vegetables, etc. At first it might be all fruit and meat, then later more vegetables and new meats with no sauces, etc. It EASY and very good for starting out.
    -