Under Amour buys MyFitnessPal for $475 million

Options
Camo_xxx
Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
gotta love capitalism :)
Create free app, get user to provide content , profit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/under-armour-has-acquired-myfitnesspal-and-endomondo-for-a-combined-435-million-2015-2

Replies

• dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hm.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Ha = Tom Brady gets richer.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Interesting. And yep, gotta love capitalism.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    To quote the old maxim, if you're not a customer, you're a product.

Hey, maybe they'll pour some money into the recipe builder. This sale is actually okay with me--I would pay for this app if I needed to. And tbh it isn't the first time I've used some "free" service that ended up being acquired or making a ton of money with an IPO.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how they choose to recoup the capital.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so soon we will have to watch a commercial before we can log our food. Here comes more advertising shoved in our face. What do you want to bet it will become a pay service?
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    ^ maybe! but that business model is fairly outdated as far as acquiring websites. Considering the price tag I think they have something else in mind.
    A publisher might have bought MFP on the advertising model but I bet we see UA move into wearable integration.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    They also bought the MapMy** apps/sites a while back - MapMyRun, MapMyFitness, etc... Haven't seen any huge changes there yet, just UA ads instead of everyone elses and the UA logo on the site. Maybe this will mean true integration between the MapMy* apps and MFP finally.

And yes @Camo_xxx‌ - I would not be surprised if they bought/partnered with a company to have an integrated wearable device. Would make perfect sense.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/

This is directly from the MFP blog and from Mike Lee a bit more personal about what's to come. :)
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Super sweet. More money might mean better functionality. The database is a disaster of bogus entries and the recipe builder is a mess. Fix those two things and I have ZERO complaints. Love MFP. :) Been here since 2011 (edit: this is my 2nd acct.).