DASH Diet

Options
DASH voted the no. 1 eating paln by US news today. Anybody done it? What's been your experience. BTW, Paleo was considered to be the worst.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Personally, as someone who doesn't need to lower cholesterol, I wouldn't do it as I don't need low-fat things. Fat fills me up and tastes good.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I see the DASH diet prescribed a lot at work for people with high blood pressure. It's designed to keep fat and sodium low. I personally don't have an issue with blood pressure or fat intake so I'm not doing the "diet".

Link for anyone who wants to read up on the diet or may not know what it is : http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456?pg=1
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    DASH is okay. I miss my salt though.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    curious - what were the criteria for comparing the diets?
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    lacewitch wrote: »
    curious - what were the criteria for comparing the diets?

Here's the article from US News and World Report

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/dash-diet

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think the dash diet sounds reasonable.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet is a mainly low sodium diet. "Diet" as in what you eat, not akin to "weight loss diet." There is way too much sodium in the average diet so it's beneficial for anyone, but particularly targeted to those who need to restrict their sodium for high blood pressure or other diseases.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get enough sodium in my diet. If you don't eat a lot of processed foods, it's very, very hard to get enough.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It's the diet my doctor suggested for me (pre-hypertensive/high blood cholesterol here). It's reasonable, common sense type stuff that I would personally call "healthy choices" for my particular needs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a very reasonable, healthy way to eat. I know there is/was a DASH group here, but suspect it's not very active.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a very reasonable, healthy way to eat. I know there is/was a DASH group here, but suspect it's not very active.

^this
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    There are also different "versions" of the DASH diet. Marla Heller has written three books. The first one is basically the original DASH diet. The next version "DASH Diet for Weightloss" is a lower carb version. The most recently released book is something like "DASH Diet Younger You" which is a mostly vegetarian version.

We're looking at the original DASH diet. It's basically common sense. The FDA's MyPlate is based off the original plan. I'm doing pretty good with my weight loss, but since the hubs had brought up this way of eating, I'm all for it for it. He has high blood pressure and a bad back, and could stand to lose several pounds.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    That ranking looked at everything from diabetes prevention to whether it was sustainable long-term to heart health, it's no wonder it's number one and paleo is last. I've never done it, but my mom is on it for health reasons and has lost weight.

BTW--my mom feels that it is too restrictive for her and cheats sometimes. If you don't need to be on this diet, it might be hard to stick to.
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    I liked it until I read The Big Fat Surprise , and then I started to question its validity given the high amount of carbs. All the same it has been shown to lower high blood pressure so I recommend it to folks who have been recently diagnosed as a good starting blueprint.