HOLY SODIUM!

Options
2»

Replies

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from canned foods (veggies, tuna, soups etc) Lots of sodium in can foods. Stay away from processed foods (lunchmeats, deli meats, hotdogs, smoked/polish sausage, pepperoni, stay away from frozen foods (some not all, read the food label to see how many servings and how much sodium per serving) Most are between 350mg to over a 1,000mg. Pays to read the label. Buy fresh or frozen veggies. Stay way from any kind of fast food or resturant...loaded with sodium. close if not over 1000mg for most burgers or main food on dish in resturant. If you want to know, google the resturant and nutrion facts about the foods you may eat.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't use seasoning on anything, but to make up for I do increase my saturated fat intake.

??? you can season your foods. Black pepper, Garlic powder (not garlic salt), Mrs Dash makes quite a few seasonings with NO salt....
  • arostganomo
    Options
    Drop processed and canned foods, it's actually very doable.

I used to be a salt addict, but now I barely add any table salt whatsoever, there are substitutions for it that can will get better results. Garlic powder or cumin works best in my experience. When I make bread I sometimes leave the salt out altogether and substitute water for sweetened soy milk. The sugar makes up for the lack of salt. Though I have to say, adding half the amount of salt does produce better results.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    This is really where that don't shop the middle of the grocery store rule comes into play. If it's in a box, can or bottle, and has more than 3 ingredients, one of them is probably salt. Check your drinks, too. If you're missing it on food you make yourself, try NuSalt or another substitute, and experiment with other spices.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    The main way to achieve it is to limit processed foods.

^^This.

Lunch type meats have a lot of sodium added.

If you cook your own food, you can better control sodium and sugar.

I cook and prep food for the coming weeks meals, on the weekends and package it in individual portions. Using spices and herbs to replace salt. I have been doing this for almost 3 years now. Works well for me.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Don't eat processed foods. Example, cook a whole turkey in your oven and you can eat lots of turkey all week and still be under .
    Yeah I blame the processed turkey meat. I love this solution too.