Mid afternoon food cravings

Options
What would be a good standby to keep in my desk drawer at work? I have a healthy lunch (soup/protein+salad) but by 3pm I really feel hungry. I work in a large office & there's always plenty of cakes & biscuits in our kitchen.
I've not succumbed so far but think it's only a matter of time unless I have a stash of healthy stuff ready. I work in a hospital with an M&S attached so that's very tempting too!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My drawer / work fridge currently contains the following:

protein bars
    Nakd and 9Bars
    Munchy seeds
    Nuts
    Light Babybel cheese
    Greek yoghurt
    Bananas

Cute kitty BTW!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At the moment I have a jar of peanut butter in the fridge and an apple sat on my desk ready for exactly that moment.

M&S do loads of healthy food (albeit expensive). Their pre-prepared fruit has come to my rescue a number of times.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    M&S is your friend! Just tell yourself you can have the Count On Us range and the fruit, and the calorie counted bags of popcorn if you like those. The skinny chocolate muffin dessert is exceptionally good at around 150 cals. If you have an oven, the beef and gravy filled Yorkshire pud at around 200 cals is amazing and just so filling. The cherries, the berries, oh. The little salads of couscous and lentil and aubergine. The cooked meat - one of my faves is the crisped bacon strips. There is a lot to help you in that shop.

And if it's all too pricey stuff from home to bring might be egg roll up - basically make a very thin omelette and use it to wrap steamed or lightly stir fried chopped veg and ham. That would be fewer cals than most sandwiches, and filling. Cooked skinless drumsticks in Smash and spices as a crispy coating are delicious. Any cooked meat. Rice cakes topped with cherry tomatoes and a little ham. Curly Wurlys. Cadbury's Fudge bars - small calorie counted choc treats like that are great. Fruit and nuts wrapped in cling film and calorie counted to around 150 cals - you don't get many but they're filling. Low cal yoghurts. A Marmite sandwich with just one piece bread if you like it. Soup if you have a microwave.

Enjoy your afternoon hunger and the fact you can satisfy it and lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, nuts, quest bars, for the drawer. If you have a little fridge (or cooler), my go to is hummus and pitas. Also apples with peanut butter.
  • Becky170467
    Becky170467 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I'm off to M&S to get a stash of healthy, filling goodies - I don't have enough time to prepare things at home to bring to work.
    - Karen, that's Jasper, I found & adopted him as a 3 month old kitten living with his 2 brothers & mum in an abandoned car, he's been a little mischief ever since! Yours is cute too :)
  • bahias
    bahias Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I usually switch between unsalted assorted nuts and protein bars or breakfast bars. Helps my hunger or craving in the late afternoon :smile:
  • muse09
    muse09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I keep a bar of Lindt Excellence 85% Dark Chocolate in my drawer. If I have cravings, I'll have a square (though I'd never exceed 4 squares in one day). It's super dark and rich, meaning I'd never overeat, and it's good for your heart! :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Bananas, grapes, baby carrots, pistachios, pistachios, pistachios!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm trying very hard to lose weight. I always plan ahead and bring snacks, such as a pile of raw veggies or a mix of vanilla whey powder + chia seeds to help me make it until supper. However, in my desk, I also have a few protein bars, an apple and a bag of jerky (high protein and only 2 or 3 bits tides me over). I'm in the faculty of agriculture and food of a large university, with the school of nutrition here in our faculty, so junk is not common, which is helpful.