Before or After Exercise?

Options
Probably a really basic queston but - is it best to eat my main meal (evening) before or after my exercise class? It's 6-7.

Please excuse my stupidity :)

Replies

• jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's no "best" time to eat your meals. Eat when you feel like your body needs it. For me, I find that a small snack after work before my workout (usually a protein bar) gives me enough energy for my workout, and I eat my main meal around 7pm when I get home. It's all a matter of personal preference.

You should, however, always have SOMETHING to eat post-workout. Something high protein and/or high carb (depending on if you were weight training or doing cardio that day). Post-workout nutrition is equally as important as the actual workout.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you? I typically have a small snack before a workout so that I am not hungry or faint. I never eat big before a workout because it will upset my stomach.
  • RachelLM73
    RachelLM73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'd have it after. Today I'll be at the gym 6-730ish which for me would mean I'd need to eat my dinner at around 430/5, any later and I'll feel uncomfortably full during my workout. So instead I eat a snack at 5/530 and have dinner as soon as I get home, around 8.
    But that's personal, if you'd rather swap the meal and snack around, then by all means :)