Hypothyroidism

Options
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism July 2014. I haven't changed my diet or exercise habits and I have gained 10 pounds. I'm hoping this app helps guide me.

Replies

• anja89z
    anja89z Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey!
    I was diagnosed in may 2014 and gained 22lbs last year.
    feel free to add me as your friend
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you taking anything for it?

I started Synthroid in October and while most of my symptoms have cleared up, I'm still struggling terribly with the weight loss. :-(
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a profile picture to be taken seriously here.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will be slower, but doable. I've had hypothyroidism for over 10 years and while it's slower, as long as I'm properly medicated, it's fine.
  • pmollet29
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »

I started Synthroid in October and while most of my symptoms have cleared up, I'm still struggling terribly with the weight loss. :-(
    rml_16 wrote: »

• pmollet29
    Options
    I've been on Synthroid since the beginning if July. I still have most of the symptoms like ridged nails, dry hair and skin, being cold, dry eyes, and sometimes my eyes get real heavy during the day even though I get 7-8 hours of sleep. I can say though that after 4 weeks on the medicine for the first time in years, I did not feel exhausted waking up.
  • pmollet29
    pmollet29 Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started taking this supplement 2 weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if the full affect will kick in for me. So far I haven't had the constipation issues I have had.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FD7TXU8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_q510ub1KZYG93
  • katelyn23marie94
    Options
    I was diagnosed almost two years ago. I never really focused on taking my medicine and never really cared about it. I gained about 30 pounds. Now I am taking my medicine everyday and using my fitness pal to help me track my food intake. In two weeks I lost 8pounds. It can be done! Feel free to add me as a friend
  • rml_16 wrote: »

i know some good ,non medicine, alternative remedies that help regulate thyroid problems if you're interested.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am hypo too. I was diagnosed a few years ago, and am on synthroid now. My major symptom is cold feet & hands. Some days I get extremely tired during the day and take a nap for a few hours, I don't know if that would be the thyroid causing that, though (because it seemed to have increase more when I started working out). I had tried losing weight many times before, unsuccessfully. It is hard, and slow, and I am hoping possible. Looking for similar friends if you want to add me! :)
  • cpimentel83
    Options
    I also suffer from hypothyroidism for over a decade now, this book has helped me a few times lol, you just have to stay motivated http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FHD0IGG/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1423144974&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=hypothyroidism+weight+loss
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (for me, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Logging works.