Ugh frustrated....

Options
I hate the yoyo diet circle. I have been on/off Jenny Craig - Weight Watchers etc. I want to just learn to eat healthier and lighter and exercise with Leslie Sansone. I had gone back to Jenny Craig (I have a lifetime membership) but not sure what to do. I am getting sick of the food already. :( and it's costly!! I think I need to quit it again as it's just too costly for me. I know people have had success using MFP only. I want to be one of them. What is working for you being successful with your weight loss? Trying to debate do I stay on jenny craig or just balance my calories?

Replies

• 79ek
    79ek Posts: 2
    Options
    Been using mfp for 35 days and its helped try it also eating well.com is a great place to find recipes that healthy easy and quick you can eat healthy and diet without going broke
  • csever82
    csever82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I'm in Minneapolis!

I have never tried anything but MFP and I've had great success with it - I've lost 36 pounds in 6 months. So, I can't speak from experience with the other plans out there, but in my opinion, they're a huge waste of money.

People try everything to lose weight. The only thing that is consistently proven is that if you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day, you will lose weight.

My calorie count is the ONLY thing I've worried about this entire time. Since I'm only 5'5" and still trying to lose a pound a week, I'm only allowed 1500 calories, so that sort of forces me to make way healthier food choices in general. But even in weeks where I've eaten not the greatest things but still stayed under my calories, I've lost. I think there have only been two times that I've gained in 6 months, and if I look at my diary, I know why!

My biggest pieces of advice are these:
    1. Worry only about the calories you're consuming.
    2. Overestimate your portion size when you're tracking.
    3. Add some strength training three days a week (doesn't have to be fancy equipment).

Oh, and my wife and I have a Leslie Sansone walking video. I was skeptical at first because I thought a 10-minute walk wouldn't do enough for me. I was wrong - it's actually pretty intense!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting/macro tracking and exercise as you do on MFP work the best IMHO. Enough throwing money away, as you can see it doesn't work anyway. Those programs exist to get money more so than to help people. Learning the skills to eat what you actually need (vs. what you might mis-estimate or crave) and to work out as your body requires are the real answer, and don't cost you anything. :)
  • KawiGirl06
    KawiGirl06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It can be frustrating. I search all over the web for low calorie meals. There are so many. I also use pinterest where I have a board dedicated to healthy eating for things I find that I would actually eat. I also have been putting myself on a food budget so far for 2 people it hasn't been too bad eating healthy without spending a fortune. You would be surprised some of the foods you can eat that aren't all that bad for you. For exercise I download an app that I love. It has several different workouts, videos to take you through the entire workout, tracks calories burned per workout, and its free. Workout Trainer by Skimble. If you feel you want any more support I am glad to help. I am currently looking for a few friends on here myself for occasional support. :)
  • MNgal43
    MNgal43 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AlexisRulesOC
    Options
    Jenny Craig is crap because it will keep you dependent on JC. JC food is also loaded with additives and sodium and it's expensive. Just do the basic 7. It's the basic 7 food groups. It's from the 1950s. It's 3 carbs, 2 milk, 1 green or yellow veg, 1 citrus fruit or tomato, 1 protein, 1 egg and 1 tbs fat. You will lose weight every day. Guaranteed. You can also replace the milk with almond milk and substitute stuff if you don't like meat. I don't know why I ever stopped doing the basic 7, I consistently lost weight Every single day.
  • MNgal43
    Options
    Good advice thank you. :)
  • gusmorais
    gusmorais Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive used WW in the past and had results but this time decided to try MFP and its been working great for me. Lost 16 Lbs in 4.5 weeks so far. Changed my diet to healthier Calories and so far im extremely happy with the results. Its hard at first to adjust ( your body seems to crave the bad stuff ) but after 2 weeks It got easier.
    I also added Fitbit to my daily life and its been a great motivator for me. Keeps me moving and in check. i don't truly bel the daily step counts it adds up but i make it a goal to reach well over 15000 steps a day.
  • DebbieLBock
    DebbieLBock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MNgal43 wrote: »
    I hate the yoyo diet circle. I have been on/off Jenny Craig - Weight Watchers etc. I want to just learn to eat healthier and lighter and exercise with Leslie Sansone. I had gone back to Jenny Craig (I have a lifetime membership) but not sure what to do. I am getting sick of the food already. :( and it's costly!! I think I need to quit it again as it's just too costly for me. I know people have had success using MFP only. I want to be one of them. What is working for you being successful with your weight loss? Trying to debate do I stay on jenny craig or just balance my calories?

Since I have been using my fitness pal I have lost 16 pounds. It is hard to stick with it but
    this helps me a great deal to beable to view what I eat and to stay within the clories allowed
    to lose weight. I also go work out Cardio, I am upto 1hour everytime I go. This also gives
    you extra calories to have a snack.:)
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Hi, MNgal. I was in the same boat as you for a long time, but I have learned a lot here on the forums. I've mainly learned that losing weight shouldn't be a chore. People complicate it too much and seek out all these niche diets that really aren't necessary. You need to make it something sustainable. What foods do you love? You don't have to buy any special foods. You can eat what you did before and make it fit into your calories for the day. It really is that simple. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose regardless of the kind of food you eat because it's not about what you eat but how much. The key is to make sure you weigh and measure everything. And I do mean everything, even prepackaged food. Get a digital food scale if you don't have one. I use mine every time I eat. This is the only way you are going to be able to keep an accurate account of what you're consuming. Also, make sure the entries you use from the MFP database are accurate. Pay special attention to those and always make sure they are accurate because there are many, many entries that aren't. Don't restrict yourself. Eat what you love in moderation. If you want a donut, have a donut, and then track it. Unless you have a medical issue, there is no reason to think certain foods are off limits or "bad." All of this information is what helped me lost my weight. I have lost 70 pounds while still eating desserts, pizza, fast food, etc. I also eat fruit, veggies, but I don't deny myself anything. Just make sure you track it all accurately so that you are sure you are staying within a deficit.
  • I started in curves in September and the motivation from the women working there have made me change my eating habits.. But just during the week.. The weekends I break out get takeaways have a few glasses of wine and I am just about one and a half stone lighter. I am delighted with my progress! I eat a lot of fruit and veg.. I don't eat a lot of potatoes anymore I usually have rice with my dinner or couscous.. But saying that I am eating what I want my taste has just changed from eating high fat food to eating good that has more health and nutrition!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I too have tried many "fad diets" (even shelled out money for Isagenix for a time) and though had immediate success eventually ended up gaining all the weight back. The diets weren't training me to control my portions/calorie intake when I was eating normal every day food. With MFP, I've gained a better understanding of what foods are very high calories and I should avoid, because I'd like to save them for something a little more satisfying and filling rather than just craving. The best part I have found is that as I have curbed my diet to more healthy options, I can physically feel the difference when I'm sticking true to clean eating verse when I "reward" myself with a bowl of ice cream.
  • gusmorais
    gusmorais Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    gusmorais wrote: »
    Ive used WW in the past and had results but this time decided to try MFP and its been working great for me. Lost 16 Lbs in 4.5 weeks so far. Changed my diet to healthier Calories and so far im extremely happy with the results. Its hard at first to adjust ( your body seems to crave the bad stuff ) but after 2 weeks It got easier.
    I also added Fitbit to my daily life and its been a great motivator for me. Keeps me moving and in check. i don't truly bel the daily step counts it adds up but i make it a goal to reach well over 15000 steps a day.

Just a quick side note i thought would help. If you weight yourself don't do it on a Monday. Wait until Wed or Thursday. I tend to stick to my diet Monday to Friday but allow for a cheat day on weekends so to get correct weight i find later in the week works best for me. And don't weight yourself daily either.....i find the scale can be your worst friend when trying to loose weight.
  • brandi2912
    Options
    csever82 wrote: »
    Hi there - I'm in Minneapolis!

I have never tried anything but MFP and I've had great success with it - I've lost 36 pounds in 6 months. So, I can't speak from experience with the other plans out there, but in my opinion, they're a huge waste of money.

People try everything to lose weight. The only thing that is consistently proven is that if you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day, you will lose weight.

My calorie count is the ONLY thing I've worried about this entire time. Since I'm only 5'5" and still trying to lose a pound a week, I'm only allowed 1500 calories, so that sort of forces me to make way healthier food choices in general. But even in weeks where I've eaten not the greatest things but still stayed under my calories, I've lost. I think there have only been two times that I've gained in 6 months, and if I look at my diary, I know why!

My biggest pieces of advice are these:
    1. Worry only about the calories you're consuming.
    2. Overestimate your portion size when you're tracking.
    3. Add some strength training three days a week (doesn't have to be fancy equipment).

Oh, and my wife and I have a Leslie Sansone walking video. I was skeptical at first because I thought a 10-minute walk wouldn't do enough for me. I was wrong - it's actually pretty intense!

Hey csever82 :-) I am trying to lose the same weight: 37lbs in 6 months! Do you have any advice for me or any recipes you could share?
  • MNgal43
    Options
    Wow awesome tips and advice thanks guys! :)